Solved

Re-locating gas and electricity meter - Can OVO help?

Show first post

73 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I am unsurprised that your builder was incorrect in his advice to you yesterday.

They must find it very difficult to keep up with current strategies on energy matters. The Building Regulations section (Part-L) on “Conservation of Energy and Heat” is about to receive a major update in order to address Climate Change.

Please tell your builder that he/she is very welcome to ask for help here on the Forum. It doesn’t matter that they are professionally involved. Access is free to all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Before your Smart meters get installed on 20th @Eirida can you check if there’s an earth wire connected to the output pipe from your gas meter?

Your photo shows four earth-wires connecting to the consumer unit, but all disappear into the wall in the opposite direction.

The installer won’t proceed unless there is an earth-bond within 600mm of the point of entry to the house. So I would expect to see it connected to the vertical pipe on the far (right hand) side of the existing gas meter.

Hi - i am considering moving to OVO and am currently i am currently with Scottish Power - they took over our utilities when our old provider went bust.

I need to get my electric meter moved from my garage which is being knocked down to build an extension. It needs to be moved about 4 meters in to the main house. I have all the necessary excavation work done and my distributor on standby but am reliant on Scottish Power coming out aswell  as only they can move the smart meter. I have spent 3 weeks on the phone to them and cant even a call back from the right department. I spend hours every day on calls to the call centre in India and I am getting nowhere and think my only option is to move energy providers. So my question is has anyone had a smart meter moved through OVO and was it easy to arrange? When i move i need to be confident that the job will get done

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @niameg123 !

I’m Blastoise186, one of the forum volunteers. Just so you know, I don’t work for OVO myself so everything I post is my own opinion. However, there’s also no commitment to do anything and you’re free to walk away at anytime if you don’t want to go ahead. Just being on the forum alone won’t result in you getting any marketing emails from OVO. :)

Yup, this is indeed correct. OVO can arrange to move the meter out of harms way, but you’d have to come on-supply with OVO first. Until then, only Scottish Power would be able to make the arrangements. I can also safely say that OVO’s call centre is definitely UK based, mostly in and around Bristol if memory serves.

This is a chargeable job however and OVO would require upfront payment of £125 if it’s a Single-Phase meter, or £325 if it’s a Three-Phase meter. If you’re not sure what kind you have, we can definitely identify it for you right here on the forum, completely free of charge. If you post some photos, one of us here can help you with that. Getting the job booked in may take up to three weeks or so, depending on engineer availability. Allowing for the two week switching process, it would take roughly two months from signing up before an engineer could stop by to carry out the job itself.

You do of course also need to get your DNO involved, but you’ve clearly done your homework there and that’s good to see!

I’ve never had to arrange any kind of work like this myself, but OVO’s Support Team are a one-stop shop for this kind of thing and there’s no separate department to call in order to put a request in. Whoever you get through to on the first call should either be able to set things in motion, or at least raise a case on the spot and hand it off to another team.

Also, depending on what Smart Meter you have (if you’ve got one), it may lose comms for a while. I can give you a heads up on whether there’s any likely issues based on a photo of your current setup.

Thank you for taking the time to apply. I am going to start the process of switching companies.

Hello Folks,

has anyone had their meter moved ? I need mine moved from a very awkward position above our front door to an under stairs cupboard on the same wall. I be grateful for any help or being pointed in the right direction. 

Michael. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Primrose !

Sure thing. You can definitely ask to have the meter moved, but there may be a fee depending on circumstances. It may or may not be possible but an assessment will always be carried out before any attempts are made.

Please could you have a chat with the Support Team about this? Web Chat via the Message Us button tends to be the fastest way for this. If you tell the OVO Bot that you need to move your meter, it’ll connect you to an agent. The keyphrase “I need to move my meter” worked for me when I tested it just now.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Primrose 

I’m not sure if you’ve already seen this page: https://www.ovoenergy.com/energy-charge-list

This gives a list of charges by OVO for various tasks including changing the position of a meter. I would imagine that the price may be higher if there are extensive additional works required, but this hopefully gives you a starting point if it’s a simple move.

Thanks. 

Never been able to read gas meter because were it is located this was the first smart gas meter fitted seven years ago last week gas meter decided to stop supplying gas to home ? So a new meter was fitted low and behold still can’t read the two gas meters are for wall mounted cupboards not below ground 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Covscott and thanks for posting this.

If the gas meter that was fitted is a smart meter, we’ll be able to get those readings remotely, all be it after everything’s been set up. This can take up to 6 weeks from when the meter was fitted. Either way, we’ll have your readings and your charges will be correct. That said, it might have issues if the electricity meter is a SMETS1 smart meter...

If it’s not smart or if the meter isn’t able to send us the readings remotely, it will need to be manually. If you can’t read it, you can request this as part of the Priority Services Register. If you’re able to take a picture of the meter we can help tell you what type it is and how to get a reading manually. But if it’s in a tricky position to read it, that might not be possible. Let us know the details and we’ll do our best to help. 

One positive is that the engineer that fitted that meter will have noted down the old reading and the reading of the new meter, so when everything is updated, your billing will be correct up to at least last week!

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I have a partially submerged gas meter outside I want raised to protect against future flood risk. Can OVO do this free of charge as it is a betterment or resilience measure?

What/who would be involved?

Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As far as I can tell @Technophobe that will need work from National Grid/Gas Transporter if there is pipe work to extend/remake. 
There are other threads here about this sort of thing but most I can find are a little aged so I’m not sure if all the detail is still relevant. 
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my%2Daccount%2D140/how%2Ddo%2Di%2Darrange%2Dto%2Dmove%2Dthe%2Dmeter%2Dto%2Dthe%2Dother%2Dside%2Dof%2Dthe%2Dwall%2D1626

Userlevel 2

Ah, ok. Great. Thanks!

I want to move my gas metre from inside my house to outside. I just literally want to put it from next to the inside wall to the outside wall. Is this something that Ovo will do for me or has anyone got any experience of doing this. 

My main reason is safety and for extra space 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @KirstyStanley11

These threads have some examples and links to ovo costs

I think it will involve ovo and your gas operator due to the move outside

Userlevel 2

If you have a robust case re safety, you should be able to get your supplier to do this for you and this is where OVO will direct you in my experience. If you are over a certain age or have a disability, there should be no charge. Suppliers can be very random in how they deal with and price these requests so be sure to nail them to an in person survey first and subsequent quote otherwise or they can quote wildly without coming out to see what's actually involved.

Hi we are looking to move our gas meter that is currently situated in the middle of the garage.

We want o move this about 1.2m closer to the end wall.  It will not effect the incoming pipe (may need to be cut by 1.2m for the gas) 

I am getting mixed messages on this subject.

1. Getting told a Gas Safe engineer can do this as there is no digging of the main gas pipe, just relocating, the gas meter and tidy up of gas pipes
  2. Other telling me SGN have to do this, but they have no option on there website for me to relocate in the garage. Help line is not helpful

any help would be great.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @nadeem_22 ,

I’ve seen your question. Bear with me, I’m just checking a few things!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is some advice here which might help

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/your-energy-meter/move-your-gas-or-electricity-meter/

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, I’m back!

I’ve had a chat with Paul at SGN to get this answer and make sure it’s definitely good to go.

If you just need changes done to the flexible hose and the meter itself, OVO can do that without needing SGN to get involved as long as the NEW position is still in range of the flexi-hose. However, if you need pipes other than that hose moving as well, SGN will also need to step in.

They’ve asked me to give you this link which will get things going for you: https://www.sgn.co.uk/gas-connections/household-customers/alter-your-gas-connection

You’ll also need to arrange for OVO to come out on the same day to do their part. You may need a Gas Safe Engineer to do works beyond the meter.

If you get stuck again with this, SGN Live Chat can be found at https://www.sgn.co.uk/Contact-SGN

Thank you Blastoise186 - I have had a chat with SGN.  They have told me what I need to do.  All in hand now.  

Thank you :)

Nadeem