Solved

Password reset error - how do I log in on the new online system?

Show first post

58 replies

How did you it. Have been trying on The website and still not working for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try using the MyOVO app. It runs a slightly different way :)

Why does this work with the App not on Chrome?

Why do I want to download an App just to communicate with an electricity supplier.. should work on the web.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It usually does work fine with both. It’s just a few edge cases where one needs to be used to kickstart the other

@Robina12 I installed the app and it still used the phone browser (not within the app) with the same link and this worked. When I then went to change my password it still wouldn’t work from chrome but did from the app.

@Blastoise186 I’m trying to sign up on a desktop so the App is not attractive.  What are the edge cases you refer to and what is the work around?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Blastoise186 I’m trying to sign up on a desktop so the App is not attractive.  What are the edge cases you refer to and what is the work around?

The answers to those questions don’t lie with me. The Support Team is best placed to investigate setup issues. I have also notified @Emmanuelle_OVO .

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

What I can do however… Is bug report stuff like this.

I’m still gathering data and I’m not yet confident enough about having a root cause or likely culprit. I need more time before I can come up with a theory that’s reliable enough.

According to Customer Care Team it is a known issue and the IT team are working on it.

@Robina12 I installed the app and it still used the phone browser (not within the app) with the same link and this worked. When I then went to change my password it still wouldn’t work from chrome but did from the app.

Did that, still wouldn’t work until I rang up and was told SSE is still migrating the accounts

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s where it’s tricky. I’m aware of multiple possible reasons why this happens. Each of them no more or less likely than the others.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Vote for this if you are having a similar issue

Userlevel 7

Hey all,

Sorry about the issues you’re having,

I’ve just asked for an update on this issue, will report back to this thread when I get a response. 

There is a wider issue I’m aware of which is affecting some customers, current advice is if you’re having an issue requesting a password reset please switch to a browser version. If you are using the Outlook Live app, we know can cause an error message.

We are also amending the wording on the password reset email to ask customers to use a browser rather than the app. If the error message does appear then we will be saying the same thing about using a browser.

Having just failed to activate my ex-SSE acct many times (password reset error), using both F-Fox and Edge on a PC, I can confirm that tryng again on an iphone did the trick!  The pw reset took, and I am now logged in on PC.  The probelm was compounded by Ovo sending the ‘lets set your pw’ email with a clicky button, which holds a token to identify the user, but I found it impossible to copy the whole caboodle to another broswer - I had to change my default to Edge just to try it.  There seems no way to copy the link, complete with token - at least, not in my email program (Outlook).

But I am in now - I was on hold on the phone for ages (gave up), then ~300 in an online  messaging queue - it got down to 270 before I had the iphone success.  I did try a priivate browsing window on FF (could not get the link to open it), and turned off advanced tracking protection - nothing worked.  Good luck to you all!  Martin

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You may need to wait a bit longer. Have you had an email from OVO yet?

I am sorted - I received every reset email with the annoying button, but they never worked (on PC) - but it did work on iPhone running F-Fox.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Something worth noting.

Due to complicated technical reasons I won’t explain here, ALL web browsers on iOS actually use the same WebKit engine Safari does, and ALL web browsers on Android actually use the same Chromium engine Chrome does. If the site works fine in one of those, it’ll work fine on all of them - but this only applies on mobile.

Trying to set up my on line account but keep getting the message “connection error”

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Dianne Hayes ,

Try it again today, it should work now. If it still doesn’t, stop by this thread again

Hi - I too get the same connection error - is this being fixed?.

thanks

A

Userlevel 7

Hey @allisonf,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Can you please attach a screenshot on this thread so I can raise this internally, it may be a wider issue. 

Just enter the email address that's linked to your OVO or SSE energy account. We'll email you a special link to set your password.

Oops, there’s a problem…

Check your connection and try again

Email address

Confirm email address

Submit

Hi - Is there any update please  - seems you can email me to ask for an increase to my DD but not let me activate an online account

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO 

I also got the same exact issue:

Oops, there’s a problem…

Check your connection and try again

Email address

Confirm email address

I cannot seem to activate my OVO account. However, there is no problem creating an account here for the forum.

Thank you

Userlevel 7

Hey @allisonf and @shuanryan,

Thank you for your screenshots, can you please answer the following questions:

• Have you logged into the online account before without issue?
  • What browser are you using to log in?
  • Have you recently moved to OVO? 
  • Have you tried logging in via the App?

Let’s get to the bottom of this.