Solved

Original and very old electricity main fuse needs changing - how do I get this replaced?

• 1 August 2022
  • 6 replies

We recently had an electrician in who said we have a very old and the original electricity supply box, even though we have a smart meter. He described it as “a biscuit tin” and it needs changing because it will be increasing the amount of energy we use. I have attached a picture of what it looks like.

Who would I contact to change this and can they do it as I don’t want to be charged more than necessary, especially as all other costs are increasing.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 1 August 2022, 15:12

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @agardner1 !

Oh wow, that’s a pretty old unit there! If you don’t mind telling me which region you’re in, I can definitely look up the contact details for your DNO for you.

This guide may also be helpful to you as well.

Thanks for the reply. We are in St. Helens which is Merseyside (north west). I wouldn’t even know what the box is called to get it changed because of how old it is!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gimme a second!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 14/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Ok, your DNO has been identified successfully. :) I’ve just had a really nice chat with Electricity North West for you and they’ve given me exactly the answer you need. Here’s what they told me. This exact answer has been adapted for agardner1 and might not be suitable for anyone else.

As this is just a main fuse upgrade, please email connectionapplications@enwl.co.uk . This one’s best used for general upgrades only in cases where it’s not a safety concern - simply request a main fuse upgrade and they’ll help you out. Oh, and this only works for properties in their area. Not sure who your DNO is? This guide should help you out!

If you need it done urgently because of a safety concern, give them a call on 105 and they’ll be able to arrange an emergency engineer visit. I’m not aware of any charges but either way, you’ll always be informed upfront.

Hope this helps! If you get stuck, give them a call on 0800 195 4141 and they can guide you through the process. It’s option 4 then option 1.

Brilliant, thank you for your help 👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. :)

If you need a hand with anything else, feel free to stop by anytime.