Solved

No electricity usage on my latest bill - only standing charges on my online account?

My latest bill (July-August) shows NO charge for electricity only the standing charge, my current billing period also shows NO usage but the figures are clearly showing in my online account. Is anyone else in the same position ?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 19 August 2022, 13:31

View original

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 18/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi @Euan26 ,

To me, this sounds more like an account specific issue that’s really tricky to handle via the forum. Could you have a chat with the Support Team about this please? Live chat here tends to be the fastest method and it’s the giant Message Us button that you’re looking for.

Thanks!

My smart meters are sending daily readings to OVO, I can see the readings online, yet on my usage it says I’m not using any electric at all, nothing has been added to my online billing since August 9th. 
I’ve spoken to customer services / Twitter & told it’s been flagged up but nothing is being done. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Sb_CEV ,

If you’re interested in making full use of that Usage tab, you might want to consider setting your meters to Half-Hourly Mode. This will still submit daily, but gives you full insights into your daily use. Daily Usage appears under the Monthly tab though, while Half-Hourly is under Daily.

Hi thanks, but the issue is that ovo aren’t applying any use to my bills! They are getting the readings but are putting zero use on my bills

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. In that case it sounds like as you’ve already flagged this with the Support Team, someone’s already looking into it. They’ll be in touch soon.

Badge

Ovo replaced my smart meter in September because they were having problems recording my usage.  The contractor who replaced it said he couldn’t see anything wrong with the old one but put the new one in anyway (they don’t pay him to ask tricky questions).  Now I can see my HOURLY usage online, on the Ovo usage page under the Day tab but the Month tab just says “Looks like we couldn’t find some of your usage data”.  My last two monthly bills have charged me for standing charge only so my credit balance keeps rising every month and they are paying me 4% on that which is better than I can get lending it to a bank.

My main concern is that when Ovo goes bust, which surely it must if it can’t bill its customers competently, I may lose the £400 or so credit balance that has built up.  Does anybody know if customer credit balances are protected in some way if the company fails?

My second concern is they may be trying to sit on my usage until the price goes up again so they can eventually try and back charge me at a higher price.  I’m less concerned about this because the dated meter readings exist and I’m keeping a record of them in case they vanish into the same black hole as my monthly usage.

Userlevel 7

Hey @JCPW,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

I’d advise contacting Support for this one, it sounds like your account may be experiencing a tech issue, or it could be that you have a billing suspension wrongly applied to your account. 

Does your Online Account show the meter serial numbers for your new meters? If not, it may be that we need to update your account with the new meter details. If this is the case, please send Support a photo of your new meter serial numbers as well as the white/yellow stickers on the meters which show the removal readings from the old meter. 

If an energy company goes into administration, you’ll continue to be billed and any credit will be protected. You can find out more about this on the OFGEM website. 

Hope this helps. 

Badge

Hi Emmanuelle_OVO, thanks for responding.

I’ve been round this loop with your support people already once.  You have been given my new meter serial number already and you must have the info you need already, otherwise your website wouldn’t be telling me what my half hourly usage is. 

This is either an administrative error or some IT problem.  Having checked the situation with credits on the OFGEM site I now feel entirely happy with the situation as it is so I am not going to spend more time getting through the barricades to contact your support organisation and then explaining the situation yet again.

I’m happy to co-operate but this really is OVO’s problem and you will have to take the initiative.  I don’t think you need to contact me to fix this but if you feel you need to you have my contact details.  I just checked my profile and the contact info you hold for me is correct so feel free to use it.

best wishes

John

Userlevel 7

Hey @JCPW,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out to you, so please keep an eye on your private messages.

Hope this helps. 

Any ideas why my bill isn’t showing any electricity usage other than standing charge when there are meter readings from my smart meter on the portal? Smart meter was installed about 7 weeks ago. TIA

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I assume the bill is for the period covered by the meter readings .. and they are actual/smart not estimated?

That’s strange if so

yes, the bills for 6 Dec to 5 Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So on this page

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

You are seeing something like this with daily smart meter readings with the word Smart for the period you are talking about? 

yes, allowing for the meter being economy 7 so I get 2 readings a day

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And the billing period 6th dec to 5th Jan is impacted? 

And the current billing period from 6th Jan to date also? 

YES, JUST SHOWS 12 DAYS @ 23P PLUS VAT

oops missed cap lock -sorry

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

oops missed cap lock -sorry

No worries. 

So i assume the 12 days referred to the current billing period? 

In the 6th Dec to 5th Jan there was just just 31 days of standing charges? 

yes, and payments / refunds

Userlevel 7
Badge

23p a day sounds like a pre-liftoff fixed-rate tariff, since all variable ones are up to daily standing charges over 40p now. Is this the case, and is that tariff still in force? Have a look at the Plan page to see, and check if there’s a Contract end date.  

I'm on a 3 year fix from Nov 21

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Are your new meter details and current tariff details appearing on this page?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Are you seeing usage in £ calculated correctly on this page

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=monthly&unit=pounds&date=2023-01-16

plan and meter details are on your top link.

On the bottom one, nothing since 7 December showing 

I’ll give OVO a call today to see what’s happening

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

We have seen a variety of situations where the unit rate and or standing charge hasn't updated on bills. 

Sometimes is sorts out just as the bill is created, e.g. for me. 

Other times OVO had to fix an issue for customers. 

Let us know how you get on as i am sure it will help others in the future.