Tutorial

Making a card payment on your online account or OVO app

• 1 October 2021
  • 15 replies
Making a card payment on your online account or OVO app
Userlevel 7

Updated on 13/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Noticed your account balance is dipping a little low or just fancy topping things up before winter? There’s a simple way to do this by logging in to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

Exact Appearance may vary

From the Homepage, head on over to the ‘Payments’ page via the menu to the left or by clicking ‘Manage your payments’ on the ‘Today’s Balance’ box.

Exact appearance may vary

Here you’ll see the bank details we have registered for you and your Direct Debit date arrangement details. You’ll need to give the page a little scroll.

You’ll see the ‘Top-up your balance’ box. Click ‘Make a top-up payment’, this gives you the option to make a one-off card payment.

You can pick the amount you’d like to pay by entering a number in the available box. You’ll then be able to see what your balance will be after this payment shown below this box. Click ‘Pay now’ to be taken to a secure third-party site where you can provide your card details.

If you refresh your Homepage, your new balance should be showing straight away. You’ll also receive an email or text to confirm the payment depending on your communication preferences.

Job’s a good-un! Your balance is nicely topped up to cover your future energy costs. Don’t forget you’ll also be able to see this payment shown as a ‘CARDPAYMENT’ on your next monthly energy summary. :ok_hand:

15 replies

I paid by card my last bill. But have noticed the payment hasn’t come out of my bank. It’s been 3 weeks. I’ve emailed. Can’t get through on phone and been on chat. But there’s no help. Anyone had similar?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

https://ovoenergy.com/feedback is your best bet for this one.

Userlevel 1
Badge

My concern over this is that the money goes via WorldPay who retain your personal details including address in the USA or elsewhere outside of the UK so may not need to comply with our data protection laws.   Who knows how long it will be safe in the long tern and there’s far too much of that going on in the IT industry and I’m sick of it.  

I’d much prefer just to be able to make a bank transfer to top up my payments by giving back to my Ovo account the UK government payments of £66 per month.   Is there a bank account details where I can do this.?

Paul

Userlevel 7

Hey @Paul4AA,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Our bank details are as follows:

Bank account number is 83683249 and sort code 20-00-00. 

Please remember to include your OVO account number and postcode in the reference field, so we can link payment to your account.

You can find out more information about different ways to pay on our website

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, I’ve successfully made the direct bank payment  

Paul

Userlevel 1

I have enetered all the info an nothing happens

what next?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You may need to talk to Support. We can’t access your account from here

Thank you for raising this. I tried to go through Worldpay but page not found at the end of transaction.  Also hadn't realised the nefarious and dastardly data mining scheme; the sneaks!

Userlevel 7

Also hadn't realised the nefarious and dastardly data mining scheme; the sneaks!

Can you elaborate on this please, @Loopmoth? ps house rules here need to be adhered to. 

I’ve tried many times to pay my bill with both (Italian) VISA and Master Cards; I’ve received the approval from my Bank, but then the payment was not processed by Ovo? Why?

Does OVO accept UK Credit Cards only?

Thnnkas

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Carlo E.C. ,

It miiiiiiiight work if you use them via Apple Pay or Google Pay. :)

Otherwise, you’ll need a UK card.

Thank you Blastoise186, I’ll try that!  :)

Userlevel 7

Hi @Carlo E.C.,

According to this guide:

Which payment methods does OVO accept?

At OVO, paying your bills can be done in lots of ways, so you can always pick the one that works best for you.

• Pay by Direct Debit: This is the easiest way to budget your payments as everything is done automatically – month after month after month.
  • Make a card payment: You can do this in your online account or by calling us on 0330 303 5063 Monday to Friday from 9am till 5pm. We accept all major credit and debit cards (except for American Express).
  • Pay by cheque: Scroll down to find out more about how this works. 
  • Make a bank transfer to our bank account: There’s more info on this as you read through this guide.
Userlevel 6

Hey @Carlo E.C. 

Were you able to make a successful payment?

Yes tks, I found a way to do it.