Solved

Letters with wrong names coming to this address, what can I do?

• 18 September 2023
  • 7 replies

• Carbon Cutter*
  • 2 replies

Hi,

First let me say that I understand this is a community forum not customer services.

In the hope that someone from customer services actually reads this, I have a number of queries.

1. I received a letter asking me to submit a meter reading so you can present me with an accurate bill. I’m a pay-as-you-go customer, so why would I be getting a bill?
  2. I tried to create an account online at https://account-activation.ovoenergy.com/details_form however I get an error:

“Oops, there’s a problem…

Something went wrong, please try again later. If that still doesn't work,

give us a call”.
  3. You don’t actually list a customer support number on your website. Why is this? I had to google for your number. When I called I was in a queue for half an hour. I was then passed around from one department to another, and eventually cut off. Hence why I’m now here.
  4. I received a hand delivered letter from OVO, with the wrong name and the wrong address, entitled “Final notice”, which is a demand for payment. The address is actually my next door neighbour, and nobody by that name has lived at either address in all the time we’ve lived here (10 + years).

Please advise if and how the above issues can be resolved.

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 21 September 2023, 10:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

For the letters, please Return To Sender them as “Not at this address”. Do not open them - it’s illegal to open post addressed to someone else.

OVO does list a number, it’s at https://ovoenergy.com/help . However, Live Chat is faster if you use the Live Chat system on the same page.

Userlevel 7

Hey @kgr,

Sorry to hear this,

Do you know who your supplier is? I’m wondering if it account has now been moved to OVO Pay As You Go. Very odd that letters for a different address are being posted to you.

When you contact customer support it might be worth making a note of your meter serial numbers which can be found by the barcode on your meters or letters from your current supplier. As this may be something to do with a mix up of addresses on the national database. 

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

This was a hand delivered letter with no return address on the outside of the envelope, so I wouldn’t have known who to return it to without opening it first. Additionally it was already unsealed, so I didn’t actually need to open it. I didn’t scrutinise the outside of the envelope until after I’d already read the letter, and only then did I realise it was delivered to the wrong address.

In any case, this is all completely besides the point. A letter demanding payment was delivered to my property, and I believed the proper thing to do was contact OVO to sort it out, as I do not want a procession of debt collectors at my house demanding payment for something I do not owe.

But given my experiences so far, I’m disinclined  to pursue the matter any further, as I’m concerned that if I provide my real details to OVO then they will wrongly associate this debt with my actual account.

Clearly the best thing to do is ignore them. I don’t really have much choice in the matter anyway, as they are impossible to contact by any means, including phone or web chat (yes I tried the latter, and gave up after several hours of waiting).

Thanks for your input.

Userlevel 7

Hey @kgr,

That’s understandable, 

If the address on the letter is your neighbors, I’d advise delivering to them. The hand delivered letter wasn’t intended to go to your address in the first place. Maybe the person who delivered it did so as your neighbors weren’t in?

The name on the letter is also wrong. We’ve both lived here for 10+ years, and no one by that name has ever lived in either house during that time.

My neighbours are in their 90s. He has cancer and his wife has dementia. I’m not going to burden them with a final demand letter hand delivered to the wrong house, addressed to someone who doesn’t even live there.

This is OVO’s problem. If they turn up on my doorstep again, when I’m actually at home, I’m simply going to call the police and let them deal with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The name on the letter is also wrong. We’ve both lived here for 10+ years, and no one by that name has ever lived in either house during that time.

My neighbours are in their 90s. He has cancer and his wife has dementia. I’m not going to burden them with a final demand letter hand delivered to the wrong house, addressed to someone who doesn’t even live there.

This is OVO’s problem. If they turn up on my doorstep again, when I’m actually at home, I’m simply going to call the police and let them deal with it.

What do you want ovo to do? 

Userlevel 7

Hey @kgr,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If you don’t contact the Support Team, it’ll be difficult to determine what’s gone on here. If any more letters are received I’d advise reaching out to them via webchat if the call queues are long. 

Have you checked who it advises are the suppliers of either address? If OVO hasn’t supplied either property in the last 10 years then it’s safe to say, it may have been sent in error. 

Unfortunately we don’t have access to customer accounts on the forum. If you private message me the address listed  on the letter I can check on the national database who is listed as the supplier and whether it has ever been OVO. 

Hope this helps.