Solved

Is the OVO app down?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Anyone having issues accessing the OVO app this morning?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 3 July 2023, 09:50

View original

60 replies

Anyone else experiencing a problem accessing the App today?  All was fine yesterday (although it was not showing usage information for 30 Jun.  

was able to access via the internet but again no usage information for 30 Jun nor 1 Jul.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have you tried online instead? My usage was also missing yesterday but I can see my account online. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/

I can see info online but not the info I could see in the App.  specifically there was a page that showed day by day the usage in kWh and £.   I found this the most useful dataset of all.

There is only partial information on the website and you have to switch between various graphs to see it rather than a tabular list that was in the App.

Userlevel 1

Hi

Me  experiencing exactly the same probely end of month and new price cap thing

Seen it like this before

Regards Arthur 

Userlevel 2

Yep the app isn't working this morning,  but logging in via Web portal is. 

A lot of companies do I.T infrastructure maintenance over weekends, so it could be related to that. 

Thank you.  I also see that the summary usage costs on the website differ slightly from those on the App (when it was working) so I will need to chat with the Support Team about that. 

Also on the website when selecting a single energy (Gas or Electricity) the total kWh figure remains the summation of both energy types.  These could be seen separated in the App

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you.  I also see that the summary usage costs on the website differ slightly from those on the App (when it was working) so I will need to chat with the Support Team about that. 

Also on the website when selecting a single energy (Gas or Electricity) the total kWh figure remains the summation of both energy types.  These could be seen separated in the App

If you slide that top section across @PDowell you get a bit more info. Also on the Month tab, you can see an approx level for each fuel. 
There’s also a table breakdown link below the graph and if you turn your screen (if you’re on a handheld device), you can click on the time slot and see a data label with more info 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Looks like it might be down. There’s no-one around at OVO today, but I’ll let the forum moderators know when they come back in the morning.

Userlevel 1

Access to daily consumption charges, on the App, at weekends and bank holidays is not uncommon. It's almost certainly an OVO problem. Though we can access this information onliine, the whole purpose of the App is to support customers, without having going online for this information.  What is needed is a consistent delivery of daily consumption charges, 24/7, 365....on the App.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just gonna slide in here for a sec.

Heads up! This comment was left by a forum volunteer rather than an OVO employee.

Thanks for flagging up the App issues. We’ve gone ahead and alerted the forum moderators. If it’s still out of action in the morning, they’ll get this flagged internally.

Sorry for the trouble.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Cheers

It appears you can log onto the internet OVO members section, not app OVO. And even the internet OVO is giving incorrect readings for 30th June. Anyone else experienced this? I presume OVO will sort this out in next day or so. Usage on internet doesn’t match my smart meter (which I know is correct). 

have a good day all 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can actually get more information by using both the app and online. For example, the new PowerMove challenge is accessible online but not on the app as far as I can tell. You can go online on a handheld device just following a link and can also save that link as an icon to access like you do the app. Don’t forget that both access their information on line. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The other thing I know is that both routes access your account in different ways, so generally one going down is less likely to knock out the other.

I’ve been playing with MyOVO all morning via the web and it seems to be working just fine. So it’s probably just the app.

Thank you for the info.   Whilst I am a newbie here I am really frustrated with access issues and accuracy of information.   For example on the website today there are 2 different values for my energy usage yesterday depending on whether I check the daily or monthly tab (see images below).   It shouldn’t be that difficult for them to provide the same value!  I wonder which I will be charged for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You won’t be charged based on either of those. The numbers you see there are a guide only and are based off of raw data from the meter.

You won’t be charged based on either of those. The numbers you see there are a guide only and are based off of raw data from the meter.

Thanks.   Think I will give up using the App / website and revert to paper bills.  Seems pointless getting 2 different values for usage, presumably from the same meter and neither forms the basis for charging.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, there’s no need to do that.

The place you actually want to check for that stuff is Billing History. https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-history .

This is the one that OVO bills you to and is always what the actual bills are based on.

Userlevel 7
Badge

… on the website today there are 2 different values for my energy usage yesterday depending on whether I check the daily or monthly tab 

This is such a common question that it deserves a detailed answer. There’s a reason for any difference you may notice. Your smart meter provides two different sets of data for suppliers and others to pick up.

1. Each morning, suppliers will receive the meter readings which simply clock consumption since time immemorial. Readings are taken each day at midnight, and the readings for the past 400 days are stored in the meter.
  2. The meter also records the actual consumption in every half-hour period. Suppliers like OVO poll for these data once a day; third-party data handlers usually on demand, so they get them normally not more than 30 minutes old.  

The Year and Month usage charts use the actual meter readings (1) to work out the usage for each period. The Day charts are a representation of the half-hourly figures (2). There are often minor discrepancies, especially between the daily totals seen on the Month and Day charts, as you noticed.

One reason for this is probably the fact that people are operating pt. on British Summer Time, while energy producers, distributors and suppliers always operate on UTC (Greenwich Mean Time by any other name). This means that usage between midnight and 1 AM is recorded on the previous day during BST. The difference is usually insignificant for the consumer, and will only have a monetary consequence when tariffs change, like yesterday. It all comes out in the wash eventually, and will rarely amount to more than a penny or two either way. The difference introduced at the start of BST will be reversed at the end.

Another reason may be the delay in transmitting usage data from the gas meter to the electricity meter and its attached communications hub. The gas meter’s transmitter is battery-operated, so it’s designed for minimum power draw, because changing the battery if it runs out is an expensive process involving an engineer visit. So while the comms hub can happily transmit electricity usage data every ten seconds or so to your In-House Display, gas readings will be much less frequent, e.g. every half-hour. So your Day usage charts may be missing a half-hour’s-worth of gas data every so often. Again, it all comes out in the wash eventually.

Your bills are calculated solely on the basis of the meter readings, just as OVO is billed by the distributor. The half-hourly data and charts are purely for your convenience, although OVO will keep an eye on them to help you and the world make better use of the energy we consume, e.g. via the Insights pages and the PowerMove initiative.

Why is OVO app on iPhone not working today ?

Yes, same problem.  

This is the link to the thread I posted and the responses.  Hope it helps.

Userlevel 4

@Susan Rapley it's been down all day but you can still log onto your account online

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, neither myself or other family members have been unable to log into our accounts today via the App to submit meter readings as suggested we do today by Ovo.   We all get the message “Sorry, there was a problem grabbing your account information”.   When looking for help on the web site the chat is also down so it looks like a major outage.   It’s been like that all day.   I tried seeking help via WhatsApp but the bot is hugely annoying and useless.

Such a shame as the price changes should have happened yesterday so the sooner meter readings were submitted then the more accurate the bill.   A big fail by Ovo, but maybe they’ve been overwhelmed with meter readings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The online portal at https://my.ovoenergy.com has been working fine all day.

And tbh it’s DCC that keeps crashing, not OVO.

By the way @Jonathanprentice I can confirm that I’ve placed a marker against this thread now. All forum moderators have been notified that you’re waiting for them to stop by.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paul4AA you should be able to enter meter readings via your online account 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes but my 88 year old mother won’t be able to do that herself so I’d have to drive back over to her house to do that as I don’t have her account details here.  I tried entering details on her iPad which contains her account information) on a visit this morning, so before leaving I took photos of her meters.  When the app is up and running again I’ll tell her the readings to enter over the phone, if she can hear me as she’s going deaf.

Companies have to realise that customers include older folk who may not be tech savvy.  My partners dad has even bigger problems as he, like my parents won’t have a smart meter, but at the same time doesn’t use a smart phone, have email etc.  He has major problems getting a supplier and gets charged much more as a consequence