Solved

I feel like my Direct Debit Check In is totally unfair, why has it increased?

Show first post

160 replies

For starters have a look at this thread and cast a vote:

The OVO number 0330 303 5063 is the price of a local number or included in mobile minutes. Not sure what 0800 number you’re using but I understand the OVO call centres are in the UK

Thanks, but the 0330 number when I called it is specifically for vulnerable and elderly customers and I’m in neither group. Casting a vote is pointless - we are dealing with deeply entrenched markets and company ethos and no amount of voting will change anything. The whole system is broken and not in the least customer-focused. I am appalled at how bad tings have become. Bring back nationalised energy supply.

Are you on a fixed rate tariff? 

No, that ended in March and we are on star variable now

Userlevel 1

Just had a lovely Xmas pressie from OVO!

Had an email 10 days ago stating they wanted to put my DD up, so I rang in the same day and they added it to the exceptions list and I was assured that it would not be increased.

Sure enough, 10 days later they have increased it! Just in time for Christmas and with their call centres closed today there’s no way I can call them up to thank them.

Then I realised, The Grinch is green!

OVOs logo and colour scheme are green!

Are they one and the same?

Come on, answers please!

In all seriousness, I should have known better than to expect anything else after a number of issues I have had with them this year that eventually culminated in a slap on the wrist (for OVO) from the Ombudsman.

Oh well, DD cancelled until I can get hold of them and reinstate it at the previous level. Yes, I do know what I am likely to use over the next twelve months and it is a lot less than OVO think!

However, I would like to wish all the poor frontline customer service agents and all other OVO customers a very merry christmas and a happy new year. The call centre staff need all the support they can get having to put up with customers seriosuly riled by their employer.

I know I’m not the only one. I don’t really have an issue with the customer service agents apart from the one who promised me she would put a block on these repeat threats to raise my DD and didn’t, but I do have an issue with the fact that they don’t want to treat me as an adult who can look after his own finances and insist my energy consumption is going to be 3x higher than it actually is. 

This is a scandal that needs govt intervention. The Daily Telegraph have apparently conducted an investigation revealing (as if nobody knew already) that energy companies acrosss the board are sitting on over £2 billion of customers money in this way.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I know I’m not the only one. I don’t really have an issue with the customer service agents apart from the one who promised me she would put a block on these repeat threats to raise my DD and didn’t, but I do have an issue with the fact that they don’t want to treat me as an adult who can look after his own finances and insist my energy consumption is going to be 3x higher than it actually is. 

This is a scandal that needs govt intervention. The Daily Telegraph have apparently conducted an investigation revealing (as if nobody knew already) that energy companies acrosss the board are sitting on over £2 billion of customers money in this way.

And should they go bust that money is not ring-fenced! 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-11468457/Ofgem-shelves-proposals-ringfence-customer-credit-balances.html

Here is a copy, with personal detail removed of a complaint I have sent to OVO, I would appreciate other thought on this, as I find, and have proof, that the OVO direct debit calculator is woefully poor and leads to excessive direct debits in some cases. My next step if the OVO response is unsatisfactory (or I don’t get one) is the energy ombudsman.

Hello

This morning, once again I get an email notice of increasing direct debit. This was discussed with 'Jason' on 29/12/22 where we agreed to leave the payments at £176.

May balance with OVO has increased each month over the last year from ~£119 in Jan 22 to ~£446 in Dec and presently continues to rise.

I am not given the option to reduce my DD to bring the balance down apart from a 'freeze' if I am struggling to pay. Paying is not the issue here, the problem is your DD calculator is so poor that it is beyond a joke, this is what tries to continuously drive the DD up. It leaves me with little option but to cancel and restart the DD at a more accurate level.

For the record, NO i do not want to maintain 3 months payments in my account on your recommendation, providing there is sufficient to cover the next bill that it as much as you require, if I am not in debt, you have no legal problem with my account. I fail to see why, with smart metering, you need to 'assume' what I need to pay 12 months in advance, it is simply NOT NEEDED. A 1 month balance say 50% higher than the previous month is more than sufficient.

The OVO direct debit calculator:

291122_3.png

29/11/22 DD calc for December ~+£228

011222_1.png

1/12/22 DD calc for December ~+£57

At the end of December my actual balance was +£446.72

080123_3.png

The DD calc estimate for Jan is ~+£143

This is leading to woefully inaccurate estimations of the DD level.

My estimate is the account will be greater than £400 in credit by end January

I am putting back into the account the government £66/67 ( which is intended to support these bills)  but even without that the calculator is way off. 

To my thinking you also need to set a fixed 12 month period to aim for zero balance, then restart with a new 12 month period as the rolling way it is done currently leads to poor accuracy. 

To conclude, please sort out your direct debit calculator and stop chasing me for excessive direct debit amounts.

Posted this in the wrong section, a copy of an email I have sent to OVO about the DD calculator, could others give thoughts on the OVO DD calculator please:

Hello

This morning, once again I get an email notice of increasing direct debit. This was discussed with 'Jason' on 29/12/22 where we agreed to leave the payments at £176.

May balance with OVO has increased each month over the last year from ~£119 in Jan 22 to ~£446 in Dec and presently continues to rise.

I am not given the option to reduce my DD to bring the balance down apart from a 'freeze' if I am struggling to pay. Paying is not the issue here, the problem is your DD calculator is so poor that it is beyond a joke, this is what tries to continuously drive the DD up. It leaves me with little option but to cancel and restart the DD at a more accurate level.

For the record, NO i do not want to maintain 3 months payments in my account on your recommendation, providing there is sufficient to cover the next bill that it as much as you require, if I am not in debt, you have no legal problem with my account. I fail to see why, with smart metering, you need to 'assume' what I need to pay 12 months in advance, it is simply NOT NEEDED. A 1 month balance say 50% higher than the previous month is more than sufficient.

The OVO direct debit calculator:

291122_3.png

29/11/22 DD calc for December ~+£228

011222_1.png

1/12/22 DD calc for December ~+£57

At the end of December my actual balance was +£446.72

080123_3.png

The DD calc estimate for Jan is ~+£143

This is leading to woefully inaccurate estimations of the DD level.

My estimate is the account will be greater than £400 in credit by end January

I am putting back into the account the government £66/67 ( which is intended to support these bills)  but even without that the calculator is way off. 

To my thinking you also need to set a fixed 12 month period to aim for zero balance, then restart with a new 12 month period as the rolling way it is done currently leads to poor accuracy. 

To conclude, please sort out your direct debit calculator and stop chasing me for excessive direct debit amounts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Energy prices are going up again in April by about another 20% so any buildup of credit won’t last long after that. 

My credit has built up over the last year by more than 200% not 20%

Userlevel 7
Badge

Your images didn’t make it, I’m afraid. I find it simplest to (a) use a PC rather than a mobile device, and (b) open an image in my favourite image viewing/editing program (I use MS Paint), copy it and paste it into the forum editor box.

The DD calculator is a pretty unsophisticated animal. It uses only one variable: an estimation of your usage for the next twelve months. This isn’t particularly accurate, and it may involve guesswork unless a year’s consumption data are available. It’s then used together with the rates on your current plan to estimate the total cost for the next year. The resultant figure, less any credit balance, divided by 12 is the recommended monthly DD. It doesn’t factor in any future increases in rates (e.g.  the 20% increase the average household can expect on 1 April 2023). You can adjust the number to give a different balance a year hence, e.g. two or three months’ worth of consumption.

If you have another go at posting your images, we may have more explanations/suggestions. 

Firedog

Thanks for responding. The screenshots are showing up on my computer, mobile and tablet OK, and on my neighbours so don’t know whats happening there. I’m just going to post another puzzler about the DD calculator, watch for that one please.

Userlevel 7
Badge

The screenshots are apparently stored in your Gmail account - I’m not sure how you go about that. It means, though, that users like me won’t have the necessary permission to view them. As I suggested, open the images in an image viewer/editor and copy from there into your post.

I’ll have a look at your other post.

I am nearly £300 in credit & want my dad to stay the same, I was refused and said I can only do it if I have a smart meter, I felt this was threatening & coercive can I do a standing order 

That should read I want my direct debit to stay the same 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You can change to pay monthly - not with a standing order arrangement, you have to pay the full amount of the bill each month - but this will mean you are charged at a higher rate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Arual

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you but regularly post from time to time.

I wouldn't recommend switching from direct debit as OVO charge higher unit rates and standing charges if you don't pay by direct debit. 

This is common industry practice and Ofgem state how much suppliers can charge non direct debit customers on standard variable rate tariff.

You can call the collections team and ask for your direct debit to be frozen for 3 months. This is a different phone number.

0800 069 9831

Just keep an eye on your bills and credit balance if you do this as unit rates may go up from 1st April as the government starts to withdraw the support it is giving to keep prices low.

Obviously it is up to you, but there are now more suppliers offering some tariff that are only available if you have a smart meter. The majority of households now have smart meters. Feel free to ask if you have queries about smart  meters, there is a friendly bunch of customers here who may be able to help. 

Hello - I’m a new OVO customer and so far thoroughly disappointed with their level of customer service. I like to be able to talk to my supplier and reach a decision through informed choice, rather than being directed by an algorithm.

so, all I want to do is increase my direct debit, but not by as much as OVO is advising (I have a good credit balance.)

can anyone help with this?

PS how do you find out how much credit interest has been added to your account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @JP2001 ,

So there’s a couple of questions here.

If you’ve only recently joined OVO, I’d actually advise against trying to play with the DD amount for at least the first three months to allow the system to learn and adapt itself to your actual usage. You can still do this if you get desperate or if you really need it done by calling 0330 303 5063 or via https://help.ovoenergy.com but it’s probably best to build up that credit now to weather the storm later.

As for your credit interest, OVO Interest Reward is no longer offered to new members as of roughly September/October 2021. If you do get it, you’ll see it referenced on the home page of MyOVO and in all bills. It’ll also show up in your Billing History in MyOVO and the OVO Energy app with how much was credited during each cycle.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I was transferred from SSE back in October last year, so have just received our first DD ‘check-in’.

I asked about interest on a credit balance, because it still shows up as a ‘top tip’ on the home pages of the online APP.

so yet another false promise from OVO and sure against the law, as it clearly displays this as a current feature..?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not for long! That I can request to get fixed.

Leave that with me, I know the perfect way to put that through.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This should fix it

There are members such as myself who still get it. Sounds more like an unintended bug that anything else.

I’ve managed to get my direct debit amended,  but not impressed with OVO’s bullying tactics,.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’ve managed to get my direct debit amended,  but not impressed with OVO’s bullying tactics,.

@Arual Good to hear you have managed to get your DD reduced. It is always helpful to know how customers get on, so thank you for letting us know.

The group of customers on this forum can usually offer some helpful advice to most questions.

Feel free to pop back any time. 

hi I had an email today saying my payments were going from 170 a month to 454 a month there's no way ican afford it spoke online she wasn't really bothered said they could give me a cut off which led tp 404 a month which I still can't afford my bills are never over 250 a month so why should I pay all that I haven't got a smart metre and don't want one I read my metres every month can anybody advise me what to do

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

We’ve already given you advice on this previously. Please see:

so now OVO have finally got my smart meter readings sorted out, they reckon that I need to increase my DD from 60 to 81 or I’ll owe them £350+ by the end of my current deal.

I’m on a 3 year fix from December 2021 so my unit price will be the same. Their estimates suggest that between 1st May and 31st October in each year, my bills for the 6 months will be c£480. Last year for the same period, they were £150!! and, if I add todays DD to the credit balance they’re showing, they currently owe me £220.

Useless system IMHO, no wonder some people are getting ridiculous DD hikes