Tutorial

How to fix login issues or error messages with your online account

How to fix login issues or error messages with your online account
Userlevel 6

Updated on 07/06/21

New to OVO? -  The online account login process (as it should be):

How do I sign into the online account?

It’s super easy – you just need the email address you registered when you signed up.

If you have been with us for a while you may also be able to login using your OVO ID.  You’ll find your OVO ID on your welcome letter or email, or at the top of any of your statements. If you have (or have had) multiple accounts with us, you may need to login using your OVO ID rather than your email address.

If you’ve logged in before and already know your password, you’ll only need to do ‘step 1’.

Step 1: Get to your My OVO energy online account

To log in directly, visit https://my.ovoenergy.com/

You can also log in from the OVO homepage – take a look in the top right corner for the menu icon, the option to login will be at the top of this menu.

Step 2: Set up a password

Look underneath the big 'Log in' button. Find the link that says ‘First time logging in?’, and click it.

Step 3: Give your email address

Type in your email address and click ‘Submit’. If you’ve got more than one OVO account, we might ask for your OVO ID too.

Step 4: Check your email

We’ll send you an email with a link to set your password – open it, create your password, and you’re in. The email is from 'no-reply@ovoenergy.com' – and the subject line will be 'My OVO password change request'.

It’s important that you set your password within 30 minutes, as the link will expire. If you don’t get an email straight away, it’s worth checking your ‘spam’ folder. If you’re a Gmail user, it may also be filtered into your ‘promotions’ folder.

Step 5: Sign in whenever you like

That’s it. You’ve got access to your online account. It’s easy to use wherever you are, on your computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.

We’re constantly updating our online portal and app to ensure it’s the best version it can be for you! This, along with your device updates can cause login issues from time to time. 

When something’s gone wrong

If you’re having issues logging via our app, try deleting and reinstalling - ensuring it’s the latest version. Sometimes this is all it needs to iron out any issues.

If you’re on a computer, try and use Google Chrome (or at least, avoid using Internet Explorer) as your account is optimised for this browser. Clear your cookies and cache and try login again, here’s how to do that:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More More.
  3. Click More tools and then Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

If you’re logging in with your email address, you may wish to try your customer ID. Reset your password as part of this process, as after you reset it, your account will automatically try to login.

If it’s still not letting you in, our Support Team may check these details so that we can work out the issue:

1. Are you logging in using your registered email address or OVO ID?
  2. Are you using the app or the browser version of the site?
  3. Can you send us a screenshot of the issue/error? If not please describe it in as much detail.
  4. How long has this been going on for?
  5. What device are you using? I.e iPhone 7, Dell laptop etc.
  6. What software does your device use? This can usually be found in the settings section of your device.

11 replies

Hi everyone,

Looking for some help. Ever since i have changed ovo i have been unable to access my account. When i log in from my phone or laptop i just get an oops there is an issue we are working on message? Anyone able to have a look at this for me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Howdy @rikaka85 ! Welcome to the forums! :smile:

I think I know what the issue is, but I just wanted to ask something really quick. How long has it been since you switched to OVO?

If you’ve not yet come on-supply, your new account won’t yet be fully active in MyOVO or the OVO Energy app, but it will calm down once you’re on-supply.

I think maybe two months now, but I think your right I think something isn't right with my switch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Gotcha.

In that case, I’d recommend letting the support team know about this and asking them to see if they can fix your account. You can do that right over here.

If you let them know you’ve spoken to Blastoise186 on the forums and provide a link to this thread, they’ll know that you’ve had a chat with me first.

Let me how how you get on!

I get the above message when I try and login to my account.

I have followed the tutorial.

I sent ovo an email about this on the hello@ address

I did get a call back, but, as I was driving the rep said he would call back later.

Over 24 hours later and still no call back.

The move toovo has been a dissapointment so far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey there @UncleZen !

You’re in the right place for this actually, let me see if I can help turn things around. The name’s Blastoise186 and I’m one of the forum volunteers around here. I can’t access your account, but I can offer advice. If you didn’t get the promised callback, it’s worth trying to call in again tomorrow morning, the lines open at 8am.

I’m really sorry it’s been a bit bumpy so far. Could you fill out your Profile for me please? You can do that using this link and it helps us out a lot. If I could also ask how long it’s been since you started the switch to OVO, this might provide me some extra clues. If you’ve only recently switched for example, it could be that your account is still being activated and this does take a little time.

One of the other tricks that sometimes works, is trying out the OVO Energy app as this sometimes works in cases where MyOVO isn’t quite working properly.

I’ll be right here for as long as you need me, even while OVO’s office is closed. This forum is open 24/7 and I often check in right until 10pm or 11pm, so I’ll know if you reply.

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about those login issues and the missed callback, @UncleZen - not a great start, so let’s try and get things sorted out!

Not sure if you’ve seen it, but we’ve made a guide to the login process to your online account (I’ve moved your comment over here so check out the advice above). If you’ve followed the troubleshooting and are still not able to login @Blastoise186  has given spot on advice as to the next steps -

If you didn’t get the promised callback, it’s worth trying to call in again tomorrow morning, the lines open at 8am.

Hope this advice helps - let us know how you get on, we’re always happy to help if you have any other questions once you’re logged in! :slight_smile:

Ive updated my profile.

I had a “chat” with a rep via the chat system. This was their response:

The dual fuel supply started with OVO Energy on 21/06/2021. You are currently in your 4 to 6 weeks validation period. This allows both suppliers to open and close your account correctly, which will be the issue on why you are unable to look into the online account.
The online account will be visible from 02/08/2021.

I suggested that, if indeed this is the case, then they should put this message up on the screen rather than falling in a heap and saying something has gone wrong. When it hasnt gone wrong , the account is is a “mode” that is not supported by the portal.

So far, with my switch to Ovo, I am hugely dissapointed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for getting back to us.

Most of what you’re seeing is pretty normal when you switch supplier, except for MyOVO crashing out like this - which is definitely something that should not be happening.

I’ll ask @Jess_OVO and @Tim_OVO to flag this up with the Tech Team and see if there’s any chance of making some improvements there, especially to help clarify what’s going on during a switch. MyOVO is custom built in-house by OVO’s own teams and while it’s not quite perfect, it does get constant upgrades. It seems as if it hasn’t yet learned how to handle onboarding in edge cases like your own. Tim and Jess should be able to ask about any progress on fixing that.

Thanks for flagging this up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For the purposes of a bug report, I’ve drafted a summary below. I use this template to help with converting possible bug reports into a format that works for everyone. If you spot any mistakes, please feel free to let me know and I’ll update the details.

What’s the problem?

MyOVO struggles to handle cases where a new account is still onboarding and validation with the old supplier is still ongoing, especially for Dual-Fuel switches

How can I make it happen?

1. Sign up with OVO using a Dual-Fuel tariff, where an existing supply is already active with another supplier
  2. Create an online account with MyOVO and link this to the new account as usual
  3. Wait for the two week grace period to expire and for the account to come on-supply with OVO, but while validations are still in progress between OVO and the previous supplier
  4. Attempt to access MyOVO while the online account isn’t fully ready yet

What should happen when I do this?

I should get a message that informs me that the account isn’t fully ready yet and that some information might not be available right now.

What happens instead?

A generic error message is thrown which doesn’t make it clear what the problem is

Is there anything else that you think might be useful to know?

Yes. This report is based on comments raised on the OVO Forum by UncleZen and adapted by Blastoise186 for quick reference. The original thread can be found at 

Please check the OVO Forum for further details. Device/Browser details are not available at this time. An existing case has already been raised to resolve the account specific issues separately

Userlevel 7

Really sorry that the onboarding journey hasn’t been the smoothest for you, @UncleZen.

I totally agree that the generic error message doesn’t send the clearest message - I’m going to flag this one with the tech team (Thanks to @Blastoise186 for an excellent bug report! :bug: ). Just to help us identify the issue it would be really helpful to know if this error message was showing when using the App or browser version of your online account