Solved

How do I change my Direct Debit date?

• 25 August 2017
  • 45 replies

Show first post

45 replies

Hello

I have done this on my own account. It is quite easy to do but you need to contact OVO directly so they can make the change for you.
How do I change the date of my dd????
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @mcallanan and welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, I think you should read what one of the Moderators said in answer to this other question about the relative dates of Statement and Direct Debits.

OVO follow Ofgem guidelines in setting these dates. In effect you pay the next month in advance rather than pay for the amount which is shown on your latest Statement.

Once a Direct Debit is set up, it's quite hard to move the date. I'm not in the finance sector, but I believe it involves ceasing the existing Mandate and creating a fresh one.

It's relatively easy for OVO to move the Statement date, but doing this can be detrimental. Other contributors to this Forum have complained that this practice leaves their accounts with OVO in credit to an amount almost equal to two-month's worth of Direct Debits.

The reason for this is that the Guidelines attempt to bring your (annual) contract to an end with your account showing a small positive balance. If the account shows a minor debt, then you will experience difficulties in switching to another supplier. So there are established practices for ensuring that you don't fall into this trap unwittingly!

Before you contact OVO directly, have a look also at this page which shows how Estimates and Direct Debits are calculated.

Please ask again here if you want further clarifications.
Userlevel 7

Heads up everyone,

I’ve updated the ‘best answer’ on this one, as you can change your Direct Debit via your online account now :blush:

Hi, my current direct debit date is the 5th of every month and next payment due 5th December. I’ve just changed the payment date to 25th of each month. Will my next direct debit come out in 3 days time on 25th November or will it be 25th December. Just wondering as my pay won’t be there on the 25th November this month only from next month. Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @Alysha01 ! :)

If you change the DD now, it definitely will NOT process any payment on the 25th November because it’s too late for that to go through. It will process from the 25th December onwards - but may be later next month due to Christmas.

Userlevel 2

Good day! I have read that I should be able to change my DD amount on the app or online account. I can see OVO’s recommended amount which would be a reduction from the amount presently being paid. I therefore want to reduce my monthly payment. However, I do not have that action available but I do get a note that says this DD can only be changed by the person who set it up! Is that OVO (or SSE) or myself who set up the original DD, please? Do I have to call OVO to make the change? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Michali you should be able to update those settings as long as the account is set up correctly. Are you using the same email to log in and is there anyone else listed in the account?

Userlevel 2

Thanks for replying. Yes, my husband is included in the account but we use the same email address.  But I followed the instructions on the video but apart from telling me what the recommended amount would be, there is no option to actually change it. That notice as above suggests that as it was set up by SSE before we were switched to OVO, OVO would have to actually change the amount. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s probably best to get in touch directly then @Michali . I’m not sure what’s available today being a bank holiday but there's

Customer Support  -  tel:03303035063

Webchat  -https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

or via direct message to their social media channels 

Twitter  -  https://twitter.com/OVOEnergy

Facebook  -  https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

during normal working times

Userlevel 2

Thank you! I will have to call/contact  them. 😢 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Michali,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

It should look something like this on the Online Account:

My only thought is that if you have newly migrated over to OVO, there may be a period in which OVO need to see your usage before we allow a direct debit change or you need to wait for your first statement. You should still be able to amend the direct debit by calling the Support Team.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you for your response. We have been with OVO for about six months now having been migrated from SSE. I think I will have to call but have posted on Twitter first to see if they can help. 

My payment page looks like this and there is definitely no option for me to change the amount. They do allow me to suggest a new amount and how much they recommend, along with a forecast on how much credit I should have at the end of twelve months but there is no option to actually make the change. Only that statement that the this direct debit can only be charged by the person who set it up. As the initial amount was determined by SSE and is now determined by OVO, I’m presuming that they are ‘the person who set it up’! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just a guess to be honest. 

I wonder if it is to do with how the two names have been added to the account and only one of the names is financially liable? 

Userlevel 2

I hope not! We should both be financially liable as payments are coming out of a joint bank account. The name on the account on the app is my husbands but the bills come in joint names.I had called to make sure the account is in both names. Some messages I get are addressed to me and others to my husband! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I hope not! We should both be financially liable as payments are coming out of a joint bank account. The name on the account on the app is my husbands but the bills come in joint names.I had called to make sure the account is in both names. Some messages I get are addressed to me and others to my husband! 

The bank account makes no difference. For us we have a joint back account, but our ovo account is just in my name. Same with other bills.

There are two ways to add names to ovo accounts. One where the second person is financially liable, the other where the second person is not financially liable. Definitely worth asking OVO based on what you have said, just to rule out this as a potential issue. Of course it may be something else. 

Userlevel 2

Good point! I will find out. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you so much for all your responses. This forum is SO good! I still am waiting to hear why I cannot make the adjustments myself, but, in the meantime, I have received a very quick response on Twitter and they have actioned the adjustment as I requested, I am well impressed! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good point! I will find out. 

I don't honestly know how it works. But perhaps there are different email addresses/my ovo ID setup. 

Userlevel 2

I will let you know if I find out but we use only one email address. To confirm the change in DD , OVO have sent each of us an email (same address but in each of our names).