F.A.Q.

Everything you need to know about an Economy 7 (Eco 7) energy plan

• 24 April 2019
  • 60 replies
Everything you need to know about an Economy 7 (Eco 7) energy plan

Show first post

60 replies

Userlevel 7

I've got an S1 Secure Liberty 100 Smart Meter installed by OVO.

When I get time I'll post the % night rate electricity consumption from my spreadsheet and how it has changed before and after solar. 

Yep - so the meter times for your meter should match those given in the table above then, @EverythingNeedsAUserName - not factoring the BST hours.

Would be really interested to see that breakdown - particularly relevant to those who might be considering installing Solar panels in future too! :sunny:

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The first chart is based on each quarterly bill, the second on annual totals.  From the first, you can see that since we had Solar Panels installed in late 2015, there has been a much higher proportion of Night Rate usage in summer, as the panels cover more of our daytime use. 40% summer, 28% winter.  Annually about 33%.

We inherited the Economy 7 from the previous owners.  Early on, our dishwasher and clothes washer didn’t have timers for overnight use. 

Several of the peaks were from estimated bills where I’d not got an actual reading to substitute in my data set.  We also swapped suppliers several times until joining OVO in April 2014. There was a lot of weirdness between getting the panels installed 2015 and getting a smart meter in 2017.

Each time I have investigated a new contract, I have checked using our actual usage to see if a standard meter would be cheaper.  It never has been.

Userlevel 7

Fantastic to see this data visualized, @EverythingNeedsAUserName

The first chart is based on each quarterly bill, the second on annual totals.  From the first, you can see that since we had Solar Panels installed in late 2015, there has been a much higher proportion of Night Rate usage in summer, as the panels cover more of our daytime use. 40% summer, 28% winter.  Annually about 33%.

Any ideas on the spike in 2017-2018 for that night time usage split? Related to estimation again?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Fantastic to see this data visualized, @EverythingNeedsAUserName

Any ideas on the spike in 2017-2018 for that night time usage split? Related to estimation again?

Idiocy or carelessness! 

I’ve found my pdfs of the bills and it is absolutely clear that I had transcribed the data into the wrong columns.  The bills had changed the order of presentation, but did so again in June 2017 which is why the data got put in the right columns again!  When I got the smart meter, I changed the way I had been entering the data, by using a separate tab. 

I should have delayed submitting that post, as I couldn’t explain the peaks, but accidentally clicked send before I went away for the weekend.  I no longer have the older bills, so the odd peaks and troughs prior to 2004 are a mystery. Back then bills were only quarterly, and life was even more complicated, because there were low, normal and normal 2 prices! The normal had a premium for the first so many units per period and was replaced by the daily standing charge in 2011. 

This is what it should look like.

Userlevel 7

Ahhhhh that’s a much better graph with a clear trend to off peak usage. 

Back then bills were only quarterly, and life was even more complicated, because there were low, normal and normal 2 prices! The normal had a premium for the first so many units per period and was replaced by the daily standing charge in 2011. 

This is v interesting. I was paying bills in 2011 but I don’t remember this, probably as I was a single rate, zero generation household. It does remind me of an idea posted by @Simon1D in an old AMA thread, about possible replacements of the standing charge to favour lower users. This sounds similar….

I replaced my storage heaters to normal heater and changed from economy 7 no single rate but its been 4days and my heaters are not working until 11pm at night. Ovo are basically ignoring me about the situation instead of sending someone here  or change the hours that used to be on the economy 7 that was 11pm to 6am to a normal rate hours all day around. And it's starting to be ridiculous. If this carrys on I will be switching suppliers

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Cordeiro ,

Please post photos of the meters and any equipment near to them.

Here is the pic from the meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m sorry, but it seems your photo failed to post. Please try again.

If you keep seeing this message, you can send the photo to forum@ovoenergy.com and a moderator will assist you.

Here

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks! Worked that time. :)

You just need to get this meter reconfigured remotely. No engineer visit needed. Give it another try with Support in the morning and stop by here again if you still get stuck.

I have been trying they said they have already changed from economy 7 to a single rate. But it still doesn't work and they are saying it takes time to update. So how long can it take, its freezing in my place and no one does even care 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It should be done within 24 hours

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

For now, press the 2 key then press A. It’ll activate Boost mode for one hour to get your heaters going and you can do that up to 10 times a day.

So why is not working then? It does work if I do what you said. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The schedule feature needs to be turned off so that the heating can always run. OVO needs to do that.

So I called few times today no one resolved it yet. Last time I called today they said they was going to send someone tonight to have a look at it between 5.30pm and 9.30pm it's 20.20pm and no one appeared... 

But basically all day people from OVO been telling me that is nothing wrong with meter and that's my heater that are wrong when I press key 2+A it work so its starting getting ridiculous how OVO is dealing with this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… This needs to go to the Smart Support Team to resolve. Send the Support Team a link to this thread. It should tell them everything. You can do this via Live Chat so you don’t need to type much.

What do you mean?

My house it's freezing and basically no one is doing anything. I can not turn it on at 11pm because I will be in bed and that would be a waste of money as... Don’t understand why OVO are they playing up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you use the Live Chat at https://help.ovoenergy.com and give the agent this link:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-136/how-can-i-change-the-time-on-the-meter-from-11pm-to-6am-that-was-my-old-economy-7-to-single-arte-so-my-heater-will-work-during-the-day-13606

They should know what to do

So yeah I done what you said again was a waste of time as they said someone was booked to came here between 5pm and 9pm and its 8.23pm no one has came. 

Why is my bill showing both meter readings as off peak but still being charged at different rates ?