F.A.Q.

Everything you need to know about an Economy 7 (Eco 7) energy plan

Everything you need to know about an Economy 7 (Eco 7) energy plan

Show first post

30 replies

Userlevel 7

I've got an S1 Secure Liberty 100 Smart Meter installed by OVO.

When I get time I'll post the % night rate electricity consumption from my spreadsheet and how it has changed before and after solar. 

Yep - so the meter times for your meter should match those given in the table above then, @EverythingNeedsAUserName - not factoring the BST hours.

Would be really interested to see that breakdown - particularly relevant to those who might be considering installing Solar panels in future too! :sunny:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The first chart is based on each quarterly bill, the second on annual totals.  From the first, you can see that since we had Solar Panels installed in late 2015, there has been a much higher proportion of Night Rate usage in summer, as the panels cover more of our daytime use. 40% summer, 28% winter.  Annually about 33%.

We inherited the Economy 7 from the previous owners.  Early on, our dishwasher and clothes washer didn’t have timers for overnight use. 

Several of the peaks were from estimated bills where I’d not got an actual reading to substitute in my data set.  We also swapped suppliers several times until joining OVO in April 2014. There was a lot of weirdness between getting the panels installed 2015 and getting a smart meter in 2017.

Each time I have investigated a new contract, I have checked using our actual usage to see if a standard meter would be cheaper.  It never has been.

Userlevel 7

Fantastic to see this data visualized, @EverythingNeedsAUserName

The first chart is based on each quarterly bill, the second on annual totals.  From the first, you can see that since we had Solar Panels installed in late 2015, there has been a much higher proportion of Night Rate usage in summer, as the panels cover more of our daytime use. 40% summer, 28% winter.  Annually about 33%.

Any ideas on the spike in 2017-2018 for that night time usage split? Related to estimation again?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Fantastic to see this data visualized, @EverythingNeedsAUserName

Any ideas on the spike in 2017-2018 for that night time usage split? Related to estimation again?

Idiocy or carelessness! 

I’ve found my pdfs of the bills and it is absolutely clear that I had transcribed the data into the wrong columns.  The bills had changed the order of presentation, but did so again in June 2017 which is why the data got put in the right columns again!  When I got the smart meter, I changed the way I had been entering the data, by using a separate tab. 

I should have delayed submitting that post, as I couldn’t explain the peaks, but accidentally clicked send before I went away for the weekend.  I no longer have the older bills, so the odd peaks and troughs prior to 2004 are a mystery. Back then bills were only quarterly, and life was even more complicated, because there were low, normal and normal 2 prices! The normal had a premium for the first so many units per period and was replaced by the daily standing charge in 2011. 

This is what it should look like.

Userlevel 7

Ahhhhh that’s a much better graph with a clear trend to off peak usage. 

Back then bills were only quarterly, and life was even more complicated, because there were low, normal and normal 2 prices! The normal had a premium for the first so many units per period and was replaced by the daily standing charge in 2011. 

This is v interesting. I was paying bills in 2011 but I don’t remember this, probably as I was a single rate, zero generation household. It does remind me of an idea posted by @Simon1D in an old AMA thread, about possible replacements of the standing charge to favour lower users. This sounds similar….