Everything you need to know about an Economy 7 (Eco 7) energy plan

• 24 April 2019
  • 60 replies
Everything you need to know about an Economy 7 (Eco 7) energy plan

Show first post

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Presuming you are on a dual tariff plan @colin147, what does your bill show? There have been rate changes for some in Economy 7 recently

Hi, The bill shows 2 different amounts being charged for off peak although I have submitted peak and off peak readings, see photo attached.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I think the second batch of readings must be peak (totalling £90.17) as these are charged at a higher rate. Do these match your plan kWh rates? 

Hi, yes it does match up with the peak readings, I seem to be using more kwh during off peak times in the night, I assume it’s something to do with the storage heater, I’m in an apartment and was concerned I’d mixed up the peak readings with the off peak ones but doing a load test It looks like I’m right although not 100% as occasionally both rates 1 and 2 move during the day, possible dodgy meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Have a look at the Meter readings pages. My E7 readings are shown as Day and Night . In other places, they’re called Peak and Off-peak, peak and offpeak or tier 1 and tier 0.  Your meter (the meter itself, not any In-House Display) might call them R1 and R2. I suspect that labelling readings is sometimes done manually, which can of course introduce mistakes like the ones you’re seeing. 

The meter shouldn’t show movement on both registers at once; When the night tariff starts, the day register should stop and vice versa. Are you seeing these movements on the meter itself, or on the IHD?

Userlevel 7

Hey @colin147,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Could it be that your prices increased in January with the Price Cap Increase?

*Taken from a similar thread*

Why are some customers seeing a price increase despite the EPG? 

OFGEM has decided to amend the Price Cap to make changes to regional charges, but the EPG discount remains consistent, as an average, across different regions. This will result in some customers' charges increasing on the 1st January. 

The EPG is an average discount across the board, however regions that are more costly to provide energy to, will see an increase in costs. 

All of this will be communicated to affected customers. If you're affected by the regional pricing updates and your prices are set to increase in January, we’ll contact you over the next few weeks with an update of your change of price and forecasted costs for the year.  

I am being told by another supplier that if I want to switch to Economy 7 I need a new meter (my current one is an early smart meter) and I need to have a two phase supply.

This makes no sense to me. Why do I need two phases just to go onto the lower rate at night? It sounds like they are deliberately trying to make it difficult!

Oringally they said I needed to switch to three phases, but when I queried that they said that was a mistake and that I needed two.

Can anyone shed any light on this murky story, please?

Many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jhk10 , unless you have a high power draw in your supply, you don’t require a 2 phase meter - in fact that would mean various updates to your incoming supply as well. 
What you will need is a 2 rate meter (fairly obviously) which might have 2 outputs - one switched at off peak times. These are often termed 5 wire (or port) meters. 
Maybe the supplier has these listed as 2 phase but that, in this context, is incorrect. 

How are you getting on with your heating system now ? I’m due to move into a house with the same TCH with solar panels next week !!  Any ideas of easy set up ? 

Userlevel 7

Just tagging @jhk10 so they see this @kerryelaine100 🙂