Energy costs going down notice

• 7 March 2024
  • 6 replies

I have just received an email from OVO headed good news your energy costs are going down.   What a load of codswallop.  In the email they state the unit price of electricity is falling from 28.71pence to 24.51 -  a saving of 4.2 pence.  Then they say the standing charge has changed from 54.2pence to 63.25pence, an increase of 9.05pence.  How is this a saving? it doesn't matter if I use less or more electricity I’m still facing a net increase of 4.85pence per day or a yearly increase of £177.025 just for being an OVO customer - excuse the pun but this is shocking, trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the British public, trying to hide bad news under allegedly good news.   You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.  Your Directors and PR dept should be ashamed of themselves.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Eh? Could be worse! You could be seeing both Unit Rates and Standing Charges both going up...

Userlevel 6

You have to remember that these are national increases to OFGEM rates - they apply for ALL energy suppliers.

How would you have announced it?

You have missed my point completely - overall cost haven't gone down have they.   

Told the truth -  and earned trust.  Why not just say unit costs down but increase in standing Standing charges will mean you will have higher bills.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Told the truth -  and earned trust.  Why not just say unit costs down but increase in standing Standing charges will mean you will have higher bills.

Not in all cases … depends on your energy usage!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Not in all cases … depends on your energy usage!

The only customers with the same prices as Ada who will not see lower bills are those who use less than 786 kWh of electricity per year. That’s 2.1 kWh per day, what you would use if you had a single 100 W lightbulb on from 8 AM to midnight and used no other electricity at all for heating, hot water, cooking, washing, fridge or freezer, not to mention TV, radio, computer, phone charger and any other lighting. 

There aren’t many households like that; Ofgem reckons that a low user with gas heating etc. uses 1800 kWh a year (almost 5 kWh a day). For a low-usage no-gas household, the equivalent figure is 2200 kWh a year or 6 kWh a day.

If Ada uses more than 2.1 kWh a day on average, her bill will go down from 1 April.