Solved

Do I need to get a smart meter and the OVO Homeplan if I sign up to the 2 Year Fix and Protect plan?

• 30 April 2022
  • 8 replies

My Fixed deal ends soon

If I take the 2 year Fix and Protect—-am I obliged to have a smart meter and OVO HomePlan—I want neither?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 2 May 2022, 11:31

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From reading the T&C's of that product, it looks like it offers energy and the HomePlan as a package. If you don't want HomePlan then that isn't the product for you.

And yes, it also requires that you get a smart meter.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 18/10/23 by Abby_OVO

The 2 Year Fix and Protect plan is no longer available.

You can find all of our current plans on the website here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/home-energy-plans

From reading the T&C's of that product, it looks like it offers energy and the HomePlan as a package. If you don't want HomePlan then that isn't the product for you.

And yes, it also requires that you get a smart meter.

Great advice on the eligibility requirements of our 2 Year Fix and Protect plan, @M.isterW

If you’re not interested in the HomePlan or smart meter aspect of this plan it might be worth considering our other available fixed plans, 1 Year Fixed@dobsonma. Have you checked out your renewal options by logging in to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) yet?

Just had a invite to renew with various options at differing prices.

1. There is a 2 year fixed loyalty bundle @£359 a month(which also has a boiler breakdown protection for a add on from £10 a month).
  2. There is also a 2 year fixed at £366 a month.

So the question is, is 1. dependant on the having the boiler boiler protection package? I know the £7 a month difference is not staggering but in context of the 150% estimated monthly increase its meaningful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @StAlbans !

A quick read through of the terms of the OVO Two Year Fix and Protect deal (which is pretty close to that loyalty offer) suggests that if you don’t want OVO HomePlan boiler cover, you simply need to take the tariff and not set up the boiler cover element. Likewise, you will NOT be charged for OVO HomePlan Essentials cover unless you actually apply for that service and get accepted. The tariff just gives you a discount on the boiler cover, but can be taken without it if you prefer.

Alternatively, you could go for the second option and not get the discounted offer. Feel free to go either way.

Userlevel 1

Hi @StAlbans !

A quick read through of the terms of the OVO Two Year Fix and Protect deal (which is pretty close to that loyalty offer) suggests that if you don’t want OVO HomePlan boiler cover, you simply need to take the tariff and not set up the boiler cover element. Likewise, you will NOT be charged for OVO HomePlan Essentials cover unless you actually apply for that service and get accepted. The tariff just gives you a discount on the boiler cover, but can be taken without it if you prefer.

Alternatively, you could go for the second option and not get the discounted offer. Feel free to go either way.

I am looking at this now and I agree with your assessment so I am completely confused why an Ovo rep is saying otherwise.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/2-year-fix-protect

The way I read this is if I don’t apply for the boiler cover it won’t be charged (the boiled cover isn’t good for us as we have a water tank). The energy tarriff is separate and cheaper than the standalone 2 yr fixed. So surely I can just take the bundle and not sign up for the second half?

The bits of the bundle terms worth noting are:

Once you have completed this application, and you have been accepted, we will send you the terms and conditions of your OVO HomePlan Essentials cover policy. If you do not complete the separate application for OVO HomePlan Essentials cover, you will not be charged for it, however it means that you will not benefit from the policy and 2 Year Fix and Protect may not be the best energy tariff for you.

---------------------------------

So even if I apply for it and get declined the energy part will continue to run - surely? Its saying I can only get a discount on the homecare if I take the bundle, but they are available separately. They are contracted separately and DD’d separately.

It would be really good to actually get a reason why you have to apply to both to get the energy deal - the terms don’t explicitly say this.

Difference is notable for us £60 a month cheaper on the energy costs alone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @speedski ,

The way I read this is if I don’t apply for the boiler cover it won’t be charged (the boiled cover isn’t good for us as we have a water tank). The energy tarriff is separate and cheaper than the standalone 2 yr fixed. So surely I can just take the bundle and not sign up for the second half?

Yup! That’s right. The tariff bundle merely unlocks the discounts for OVO HomePlan, so you can just have the cheaper energy rates if that’s all you want. You only pay for the boiler cover if you actually activate that part explicitly. Otherwise it just stays inactive and costs nothing.

So even if I apply for it and get declined the energy part will continue to run - surely? Its saying I can only get a discount on the homecare if I take the bundle, but they are available separately. They are contracted separately and DD’d separately.

Correctamundo. Being declined for OVO HomePlan won’t affect OVO Energy supplies that you’re being provided with if my understanding is correct.

It would be really good to actually get a reason why you have to apply to both to get the energy deal - the terms don’t explicitly say this.

I’m only a forum volunteer myself, so I’m afraid I can’t answer this one. I’ll flag this one up for a moderator to try and help with.

Userlevel 7

Yep blastoise is correct, @speedski:

A separate application is needed for the boiler cover and it would be a discounted rate as you have the 2 year Fix and Protect. If the boiler cover isn't taken then you can still have the energy tariff.

One last thing, even though you have a water tank this wouldn't discount you from the cover, you still have boiler don’t you?

Userlevel 1

Yep blastoise is correct, @speedski:

A separate application is needed for the boiler cover and it would be a discounted rate as you have the 2 year Fix and Protect. If the boiler cover isn't taken then you can still have the energy tariff.

One last thing, even though you have a water tank this wouldn't discount you from the cover, you still have boiler don’t you?

Yep, still have the boiler - but it would be more cost effective to have one policy than two - I will have a look at the boiler deal but wanted to be sure I and Blastoise were understanding the terms correctly - given its £60 less a month difference to me to have the 2yr fixed with boiler package than just the 2yr fixed I didn’t want to sign it up to find it was cancelled because I didn't necessarily take the boiler cover - its actually two separate deals, but the price of the second is dependent on having the first… :)