Solved

THTC isn't clocking usage, can I get a meter replacement or repair?

• 13 November 2023
  • 7 replies

I have THTC two meters one for normal and one for THTC . All the timing functions of the THTC meter are operating correctly but the meter is not clocking up the usage . Contacted OVO customer services a few times basically Smart meter THTC not available till first Quarter 2024 and SMS highland Div unable to carry out repairs or replace the meter at present. You views would be appreciated thanks.

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 15 November 2023, 12:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Wheatly ,

Normally this would be a simple meter swap if it wasn’t for THTC. However, you can’t just swap a THTC Meter out for any old random meter from the warehouse as things will stop working for definite.

Unfortunately, stocks of Traditional THTC Meters are pretty low at this point in time, so if OVO and it’s contractors can’t get hold of one, it’s genuinely a case of you’ll likely have to wait for Smart THTC Meters to become available. Repairing the existing unit requires removing it from the field as well, which would leave you off-supply.

Userlevel 1

Hi, Sorry I can’t help with your problem but its interesting to know that a smart meter for THTC will be available in Q1 next year. I have THTC and have been told by my supplier Octypus that they can only offer me Economy 7 (which would be much more expensive) when the RTS signal is switched off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Octopus is not set up for any kind of THTC support that any of the Forum Volunteers know of.

If you need THTC, they’re unlikely to be suitable for you.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Wheatly,

Welcome to the OVO online community, 

I’m trying to find out for sure what should happen in this scenario, I have a feeling that the only option at present would be to swap the meter out for an Economy 7 smart meter.

That way you’ll at least get accurate bills. Unfortunately THTC smart meters aren’t available yet as pointed out by Blastoise. 

Userlevel 7

Updated on 22/11/23 by Abby_OVO

Hey @Wheatly,

Got advice confirmed by one of our experts:

If they mean the heating meter of THTC- (always worth checking first the customer still actually has things like storage heaters and it's not just that there's nothing running from that meter anymore.)

We don't have stock of THTC meters, so unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can do until we can swap it out to smart domestic economy or E10.

Check out more on these helpful topics:

I too am having the same issue with my thtc meter -it’s gone blank. I have been in touch with ovo and had a very unhelpful response I was told there was nothing could be done until I got a smart meter. When I queried this ( previously been told by SSE that this wasn’t an option) was completely dismissed and told I will get a smart meter but no timescale given 

my main concern is the fact that I cannot provide meter readings and from the research I have done my usage will be based on EAC -so basically ovo can charge me what they want and there is no recourse to this. This is not a short term issue but one that they are hopeful of a solution to in the future. We are in effect trapped as we can’t move to different suppliers as we are unable to provide accurate usage 

I always found SSE customer service excellent-OVO on the other hand had been dreadful 

it’s not good enough to say we are working on it when we as customers are potentially going to have to pay over the odds for electricity that we can’t with any certainty say we have or haven’t used. ( just read some of the threads on EAC)

Userlevel 7

Hey @Shona,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, it sounds very frustrating.

I double checked with one of our experts to see if there is any new advice one this:

Unfortunately, we can't currently exchange the meter as there is no stock of THTC meters and we wouldn't carry out a traditional install anyway. It is unfortunate but at the moment we can't offer any meter exchanges or smart meter exchanges until our internal billing system Kaluza have built more functionality into the platform to allow us to offer a smart meter exchange to E10 or domestic economy and the rough timeframe is the first half of next year. 

We’ll update the Forum topic when advice changes. In the meantime you’ll be billed based on your estimated annual consumption which is based on your previous usage history.