Skip to main content

Ovo fitted smart meter yesterday. However it seems the signals are interfering with the combi boiler remote controller signals and now heating does not come on . 
NB . There is no issue with the gas supply as the cooker is ok and hot water from the combi is also ok.

Hi @south villa. Does your combi boiler normally work in response to your room thermostat? If so, check your room stat hasn’t been affected when the house electrics were disconnected during the meter install? Normally your thermostat would have a battery backup good for several hours, but worth checking?

Also did you reset the boiler’s (or remote thermostat’s) timer after the power had been off?

Assuming those are both OK then:
If the boiler remote control is on your wifi then it is possible for the smart meter Zigbee signal to interfere with wifi in some cases.
(Although wifi is usually the stronger signal and it’s the Zigbee that suffers).
If/when that happens then both the smart meter communications hub and your wifi router/hub will automatically try changing the channels that they use to avoid that interference, but it may take a few days for them to settle down clear of each other.

Depending on your wifi router/hub you may be able to manually tell it to do a rescan for a clear channel, or a restart of the wifi router might help.
eg. This is for BT hubs: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/home-networks/a-wi-fi-home-network/what-is-the-smart-wireless-feature-in-my-bt-hub-

Hey @south villa 

Sorry to hear about this.

Glad to see a couple of our volunteers have already stopped by with some great advice already! Let us know how you’re getting on.

I had a slightly similar thing myself recently following a power cut in the area. My heating is controlled by a thermostat in the hall way, but whenever we have a power cut, it resets the control panel in the kitchen. I have to switch it back each time so it works from the thermostat again. I’m wondering, like waltyboy mentioned, that the electrics being disconnected have maybe done something similar?

Thank you everyone for you replies . 

Pls. find my feed backs below 
1- The Baxi boiler remoto is on remote timer setting for start and stop ie. Direct radio signal) and temperature is controlled by the combi itself based on the return water temperature vis a vis the value we set on the boiler . Therefor I don’t think the boiler is on wifi. 
2- yes we have changed the batteries in the controller and have gone through the boiler and controller reset procedures. 
3- last night I turned IHD unit off last night and the heating has come at 2am and 7 am as per setting !!!! 
based on the statement that “the unit may take a while to find a happy wifi band “I have turned the IHD unit back on now and set the boiler remote for more frequent periods to see what happens .  Really confused 😕 all I know we did no have any issues before the meter installation. 

In case it helps…

Try making sure the Channel Width on your router is set as follows:

2.4GHz Band should be 20MHz

5GHz Band should be 80MHz

And set the other settings to be a bit like this example.

If you wish to set the Channels manually, feel free to use the Ubiquiti WiFiman app to help you - it’s free on the Google Play and iOS App Store, while the Desktop version is at https://ui.com/download/app/wifiman-desktop

Make sure to use only Channel 1, 6 or 11 on the 2.4GHz band!

Can’t promise it’ll help fix this, but it should make the airtime utilisation much fairer and give other stuff a better chance of working (and playing nice).

Hey @south villa,

I found this online that might help: 

“Turn the main power off to the receiver remove battery from thermostat turn power back on and replace battery turn thermostat down for 5seconds then back up and it should re connect.”

There’s also more information and support guides on Baxi website: 

https://www.baxi.co.uk/help-and-advice/how-to-guides/how-to-reset-a-baxi-boiler

Let us know if this helps you.