Summertime - and the livin's not easy

• 4 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

The transition to and from British Summer Time makes life a bit awkward in some scenarios, like travel times and energy calculations. Because the UK energy industry operates on UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, the current official name for Greenwich Mean Time) all year round, there are several pitfalls to be aware of when working out our energy usage and bills when suddenly a 23-hour day comes along. Here are some of them:

1. Time of Use electricity tariffs
    Some customers will be on plans with different unit rates for different times of day. The simple example of this is Economy 7, which in much of the country charges a lower rate from midnight to 7AM. These timings change from region to region, but it's usual for them to be UTC times. This means that the cheap rate runs from 01:00 to 08:00 BST. Most modern equipment, including smart meters, will allow for this. Things that don't (clockwork timers on immersion heaters, for example) will have to be adjusted twice a year if they're to be sure of only operating at cheap rate.

2. Smart meter readings are I think always taken at midnight UTC, so during BST this means 01:00AM.

3. OVO's Usage charts reflect the change, but their presentation of the results on the Day page is fudged to make the figures fit. Numbers are shown for each half-hour from midnight to midnight BST, but the underlying data are for the period from midnight to midnight UTC. To 'correct' for this, the data for the first hour on the page - labelled 12:00am and 12:30am - in fact belong at the bottom of the table and to the following day. The figures that ought to be shown for 12:00am and 12:30am belong to the previous day.

This won't normally have much significance, because usage at that time of night doesn't vary much from day to day for ordinary people, and it's usually a lot less than during daytime anyway. It will matter, though, on occasion, as some customers have discovered and asked about in these forums. A couple of examples:

-   A tenant arrived one evening at his flat that had been empty for some weeks. He was alarmed to discover when checking the electricity account later that there had apparently been a lot of usage in the middle of the night before he arrived. There hadn't, but the heating he turned on when he arrived was still on after midnight, and the electricity it used between midnight and 01:00 was displayed as if it had been used 24 hours previously.

-   An EV user set his car to charge at midnight one day, then later checked his usage charts to see how much he'd used. He was surprised to note a spike in his chart at midnight the previous day, when there had not been any major energy-consuming equipment in operation.

OVO are aware of this problem, but have clearly chosen not to do anything about it.

4. Those attempting the Power Move challenge should be wary of the change. I'm not sure whether the weekday consumption is measured from midnight BST or UTC, even though the peak timings are obviously BST. Again, this won't make much difference for ordinary users, but for those of us who like to get precise results, it could make the difference between earning and not earning the reward if we're on the borderline.

5. Most of those who retrieve smart meter data with 3-figure precision will know that they have to take care when manipulating the data, to be sure that the numbers are in the right time slot. It can be quite confusing and I'm sure we've all got it wrong at some stage. Clock-change day itself is particularly challenging.

6. OVO’s system retrieves the current time zone from the device operating system. If this isn’t set properly (e.g. to UTC + 00:00 with daylight savings time applied automatically), then the usage pages won’t necessarily show the correct local timings.
    [Thanks to @deanphillips2005 for leading me to this revelation 😊]  

There may be other consequences of summertime that I can't think of just now, but please point out any omissions, additions or corrections in a reply here.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Firedog you and I had quite a discussion on this six months ago and I think you have summarised the conclusions very well. Doesn't time fly!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Aha! It was you with the EV charging on the wrong night! I should have checked, sorry!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

The point that we had got to with that discussion was that I had checked the billing against usage and found it to be correct within a fraction of one percent so it appears to be a presentation issue. However, should that displacement cause an issue with the timings associated with CA then that could be more of an issue with customers if they have a billing discrepancy during BST and they know about the way the HH readings are presented. Any thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge

This whole business is spectacularly confusing unless you happen to have a 25-year-old brain firing on all cylinders. Billing will of course be accurate, because that depends solely on meter readings. Readings during BST are taken at 01:00, so by totting up the 48 numbers shown, you actually get the right amount to match the difference in meter readings.

The problem is purely presentational, so someone who isn’t aware of the fact that the first two bars on the Day chart should in fact be at the other end of it could get a nasty surprise - as you did last year.

I suspect that Charge Anytime also works (behind the scenes, at any rate) on UTC all year round. I’ve a feeling that any attempt to adjust for BST would be fraught with difficulty. Anyone on a Time of Use tariff (e.g. Economy 7) will surely be aware that the cheap rate normally starts an hour later during BST. 

We haven’t seen many complaints about this bizarre behaviour, so we can hope that not many people both notice the anomaly and bother about it if they do.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I agree. It's only because we decided to mess around with what we call a day do the problems arise. There are still 24 hours in one rotation of the Earth and it is only us that makes it confusing. I rest my case with what I have as a signature. It all went downhill after we  invented the wheel (sigh)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Although it doesn’t affect OVO customers, general ToU tariffs also have a problem especially when they are priced per half hour. It can be extremely confusing to match the price to the specific half hour. 
On the clock change event, we are not the only country to do this so I wonder how they cope elsewhere

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

The EU voted to stop daylight saving in 2018 but sort of not got round to actually doing it. The reason for DST was apparently to save energy but the link says studies show that it doesn’t.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/03/29/do-clock-changes-save-energy-experts-say-the-difference-is-negligible

When I worked on the railway we had equipment synchronised to MSF (Rugby) and DCF (Germany) as a backup. This was fine until we got to March/October and there was a week difference between the change over dates but not a problem unless MSF was down for maintenance (often - until they moved it from Rugby to Cumbria) and the system then synchronised to DCF but only corrected for a one hour difference when it could have been either two hours or even zero. Undoing the damage done to the log files was a nightmare when producing evidence for incidents on the railway.

Userlevel 7
Badge

[OT]

You had me Googling again. Wikipedia tells me that “The Rugby transmitter's callsign was MSF, where 'M' is one of the ITU prefixes allocated to the United Kingdom, and the letters 'SF' were allocated for no documented reason.