Solved

Will the Charge Anytime EV add on work with Podpoint or will I need to change the EV charger?

Show first post

72 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Shame, sounds like it’s not too far off working though!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Shame, sounds like it’s not too far off working though!

I'll let you know when and how I get it fixed 

Badge

I looked into this with Audi Digital services and they said due to GDPR and Security you can’t link OVO app with My Audi app and can not share your cars location ! 
so I am guessing due to the OVO app wants to know that the car is at home then it will never work. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I looked into this with Audi Digital services and they said due to GDPR and Security you can’t link OVO app with My Audi app and can not share your cars location ! 
so I am guessing due to the OVO app wants to know that the car is at home then it will never work. 

Thats strange hey said that because nearly all Audi cars work with the addon no mater what charger you have 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It's funny isn't it. I'm sure they only tell you what they want you to hear. 

Quick update. 

Contacted Oldham Audi to check my software package. Told it was 3608, not 3699 and that they couldn't tell me any more as they didn't know who was responsible. No mention of GDPR. 

Contacted another dealer (not naming as they have been very good so far) who told me that whilst they hadn't done this before themselves, they didn't see why it couldn't be done, especially if Ovo and Kaluza were already developing this app for use in other cars.

I think the GDPR point is a pack of lies. 2 reasons. 

1) My myAudi app already connects to my Podpoint app and tells that exactly where my car is and how much battery is left.

2) any customer can authorise the sharing of personal data by any app or company so that its collection is for fair use.

I've still not got mine fixed and am a bit disappointed that I can't just allow Ovo to use my Podpoint data as that clearly shows where the car was charged. A possibility maybe?

I don't believe a word that I've heard yet from Audi that things aren't possible and will consider going to someone like Trading Standards if I get nowhere as surely they would look into this situation of a tariff being made not available by a Car dealer. 

Failing that, looks like I'll be investing in some solar panels to reduce my costs as no other energy supplier is playing ball at the moment on EVs 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Like I say, Podpoint knows where my car is, so why can't Ovo. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I don't think it's anything to do with location or talking to the audi app. It's all down to how often it logs the energy usage some apps are hourly and for the addon to work it needs to be logged more frequently 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don't think it's anything to do with location or talking to the audi app. It's all down to how often it logs the energy usage some apps are hourly and for the addon to work it needs to be logged more frequently 

Which app @Chris78  

Badge

To be honest it seems like neither Audi nor OVO understand how it all works

surely it should be the case that the OVO app be linked with the Charger unit and nothing to do with the vehicle itself ? 
i can schedule charging through my Podpoint charger which has no bearing on what car is being charged. 

Can’t understand why they have Audi cars on the OVO compatibility list if it doesn’t work , I presumed it would have all been agreed with Audi and tested before rolling out or it’s false advertising?

Badge

It’s strange, as I have plugged my car in to charge and the OVO App can obviously see something is charging as the ring around the clock is pulsating ! 
I just can’t schedule a charge for cheaper rate maybe? 

will again speak to someone at OVO 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s strange, as I have plugged my car in to charge and the OVO App can obviously see something is charging as the ring around the clock is pulsating ! 
I just can’t schedule a charge for cheaper rate maybe? 

will again speak to someone at OVO 

That was the same as mine (i posted an image here 8 days ago).

Since then, a couple of charges but no savings :-( 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just checked my Ovo Energy App and for the first time ever it is now recognising that my electric car was charged at home. 

Hopefully OVO can now see that the link between my car, my podpoint charger and my Charge Anytime app is working.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ll keep watching with interest. It seems like all the elements needed are there it’s ‘just’ getting them all to play nicely together…

i don’t buy the GDPR aspect either. That’s usually rolled out as an excuse to make people go away when they don’t know what else to say 🤣 with appropriate permissions granted by the customer for data sharing for legitimate reason there’s no need for this to be a showstopper as far as I’m aware.

Badge

Just checked my Ovo Energy App and for the first time ever it is now recognising that my electric car was charged at home. 

Hopefully OVO can now see that the link between my car, my podpoint charger and my Charge Anytime app is working.

Does the Dashboard still say about the cars location issue ? 
be interesting to hear if you got credits and was on the 10p KWh tariff or just charged as standard 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does the Dashboard still say about the cars location issue ? 
be interesting to hear if you got credits and was on the 10p KWh tariff or just charged as standard 

Yes, still shows the same location issue and I haven't had any confirmation yet about whether I'll get any credit or not. 

Badge

This is the response I have had back from OVO tech team. 

Thanks for bearing with us.

Our Technical team has now provided us with an update on your Anytime app issue.

It appears we are not receiving location information from your Audi as stated. Below is a number of steps you can take to ensure this is enabled.

In vehicle changes

To locate the car, the sharing of GPS positioning needs to be enabled. You can enable this by toggling the "Share GPS position (allow)" setting in the multi media interface (MMI) from within the car.

Update vehicle software package to 3669

To remotely read the vehicle's location, software package "3669" must be installed in the car. This update needs to be performed by an Audi service retailer.

Enable Audi connect services

To remotely read the vehicle's location, the "Car finder" connect service needs to be enabled. You can activate it from the car's infotainment system in Settings > Privacy > Car finder.

I know I only have 3608 software in my Q4 and not sure when or if I will get the upgrade 

also does anyone know where in the MMI the Share GPS position setting is ?

I have emailed them back to ask why can’t the OVO app just have a GPS location map or something instead of having to link through MyAudi app  

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is the response I have had back from OVO tech team. 

Thanks for bearing with us.

Our Technical team has now provided us with an update on your Anytime app issue.

It appears we are not receiving location information from your Audi as stated. Below is a number of steps you can take to ensure this is enabled.

In vehicle changes

To locate the car, the sharing of GPS positioning needs to be enabled. You can enable this by toggling the "Share GPS position (allow)" setting in the multi media interface (MMI) from within the car.

Update vehicle software package to 3669

To remotely read the vehicle's location, software package "3669" must be installed in the car. This update needs to be performed by an Audi service retailer.

Enable Audi connect services

To remotely read the vehicle's location, the "Car finder" connect service needs to be enabled. You can activate it from the car's infotainment system in Settings > Privacy > Car finder.

I know I only have 3608 software in my Q4 and not sure when or if I will get the upgrade 

also does anyone know where in the MMI the Share GPS position setting is ?

I have emailed them back to ask why can’t the OVO app just have a GPS location map or something instead of having to link through MyAudi app  

Yes, had all of that too. But still no resolution. 

Small chink of light this morning. Audi Oldham have confirmed they will be able to update my software to version 3669 'later this quarter'.

A lot of faffing around but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. 

Cue Audi telling me later this month that it will cost me more to upgrade the software than a new charger would be 😔

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It has to be done via MyAudi as that’s the only way Kaluza can access the vehicle location IIRC. There’s no other way to access the required APIs.

If you’re able to, I’d recommend asking your local dealer if they can do software updates to get your Q4 up to the right version. If it was a Tesla this would usually be as easy as connecting to Wi-Fi at home, letting it download the software update and then trigger the install at a time that works for you.

Some other EV’s can do that too via self-service, but I’ve confirmed that for an Audi, it has to go to a dealer unless you just need to update the maps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It has to be done via MyAudi as that’s the only way Kaluza can access the vehicle location IIRC. There’s no other way to access the required APIs.

If you’re able to, I’d recommend asking your local dealer if they can do software updates to get your Q4 up to the right version. If it was a Tesla this would usually be as easy as connecting to Wi-Fi at home, letting it download the software update and then trigger the install at a time that works for you.

Some other EV’s can do that too via self-service, but I’ve confirmed that for an Audi, it has to go to a dealer unless you just need to update the maps.

The myAudi app and the car are working absolutely fine. They are relaying the information to Podpoint perfectly and also the Ovo App knows I've charged my car at home as its telling me this. 

So how come that Ovo know I've charged my car at home yet don't know where it is. 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s a question for Kaluza, not a Blastoise! :)

Badge

I’m guessing no one has got any further in finding an answer to this ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

There are some people on Pisthonheads who seem to be using Drive Anytime fine.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=2019678&d=15771.62883#seperator

Badge

I’ve looked into it as much as I can with OVO and for the Q4 etron to work on anytime then it requires software to be the latest 3669 or you need one of the listed acceptable charger units on OVO. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m guessing no one has got any further in finding an answer to this ?

Afraid not. Considered switching to Intelligent Octopus but that needs the same software package. 

Thankfully Octopus Go doesn't which is an option. Alternatively sticking to the promise Audi Oldham made that in Q1 there will be a software upgrade coming. 

Feel completely mis-sold about this 

Badge

Emmanuelle - Can you ask OVO when the Kia EV6 will be added?