Solved

Can there be a V2G flag/test to allow lower Direct Debit level?

• 25 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

To permit a lower DD than OVO systems currently allow for V2G active customers (to reflect what the house really uses) is to  utilise  a simple “V2G flag” to allow half (or any sensible fraction) of the computed DD to be set. This will go a long way to help set an affordable payment, especially helping the vulnerable who struggle to raise extra funds to pay this forced inflated amount. 

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 28 July 2023, 10:56

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @PeterS and thanks for raising this. 

For some context, can I confirm that you are one of a few hundred OVO customers who had the Indra Vehicle to Grid (V2G) electric vehicle (EV) charger installed back in, was it 2019?

You get paid for exporting your EV battery charge to the grid. The export payments get added to your OVO balance as credit, but your Direct Debit recommendation doesn’t factor this in. So you’re suggesting a feature which allows for an exception in the Direct Debit calculation for V2G customers?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This was raised on another thread and an ovo moderator suggested adding as an idea

Badge

Hello @Tim_OVO, as @Jeffus mentioned, I raised this suggestion elsewhere and a moderator said I should try to get folk to vote (but may not be currently targeting the V2G population, just DD?)

I was indeed part of the early V2G trial and have seen OVO move from fixed p/kWh to the more equitable fixed pence over cost to import.

The unprecedented rise in energy and CoL, plus the increasing frequency of us not receiving the export amount..(Only just received 1 out of missed 3 months with no emails as forum moderators promised).. led to my post.

(Sorry, should DM all this but don’t know how without an invite)

I used to analyse and program systems before I retired and finding “work-arounds” was part of the job. So there should be a quick and cost effective solution to help those with inflated DDs. A flag against a customer profile (or simple logic tests if cannot update profile explicitly) is one suggestion I put for consideration.

Userlevel 7

Thanks @PeterS.

It sounds like you were affected by a (now fixed) issue that was preventing V2G payments. Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Safe to say you’ve been paid up to date now?

Our Direct Debit system will be improved at some point in August to be better at spotting when a reduction is suitable. This will benefit the small pot of customers on V2G and everyone else. 

It’s been a long time coming especially for V2G customers, and I appreciate it won’t do everything that you hope for in this feature idea. Are you one of the veteran customers who get interest rewards on credit balances? 

Badge

Thanks for this update @Tim_OVO .

I am indeed one of the veterans who receive an in-credit interest payment, very generous when banks only paid nil to 0.1%

The forum stated we should expect a credit for each missed month (2-3) but I have received only a single payment and no explanatory email so far.  Might I assume that there will be at least one further payment before I get any correspondence?

Badge

Quick update @Tim_OVO .

Just checked my junk folder and email found (received earlier today) to state correction for missing months will be visible in next bill. :D Happy Chappie now!