Solved

Why do OVO keep texting me asking for meter readings?

• 15 November 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why do OVO send nuisance text messages?

I am on quarterly billing - so every 91/92 days a bill should be sent after a meter reader has attended - although since OVO took on SSE customers, I have NOT seen one although the standing charge is supposed to cover the cost of those visit.

After about 60 days from when the last bill was sent,  I start getting text messages demanding a reading - what is the point of that when it is not due for another month?

Also,   why do SSE believe they have permission to contact me by SMS when I have not given permission or provided my number to them or previously SSE for this purpose?

And why do OVO send the messages from a number I cannot reply to?

Perhaps one of te OVO staff would like to answer all of these points.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 15 November 2022, 15:58

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 26/06/24 by Shads_OVO

It sounds to me like these messages are either considered Transactional, Service Update or Critical in some way. As they are not marketing of any kind, your consent is not required to send them. You might receive them even between bills if it’s been a long time since the last meter reading was submitted.

They do not qualify as nuisance messages either under any of those categories (other than Marketing, which does require consent). I suspect the ICO would agree with me on that point.

The sending of them from a number that doesn’t take incoming messages is by design - this isn’t just OVO either. You have no reason nor purpose to directly reply to those. If you need help, please contact support directly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Why do OVO send nuisance text messages?

They don't sound like nuisance texts, simply reminders. You can check if you are opted out of marketing communication if you log onto your account. 

I am on quarterly billing - so every 91/92 days a bill should be sent after a meter reader has attended - although since OVO took on SSE customers, I have NOT seen one although the standing charge is supposed to cover the cost of those visit.

Have you considered signing up for a smart meter. You can get discounts off your energy via some of the schemes gradually launching by reducing consumption during peak periods. Also means you don't need to read your meter. Are you eligible/signed up for the Priority Service register? 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/priority-services-register

You can request a meter reader with ovo if you sign up

After about 60 days from when the last bill was sent,  I start getting text messages demanding a reading - what is the point of that when it is not due for another month?

Simply a reminder 

Also,   why do SSE believe they have permission to contact me by SMS when I have not given permission or provided my number to them or previously SSE for this purpose?

They are not marketing messages so they don't need your permission. You can make sure you are not signed up for marketing if you log onto your account. 

And why do OVO send the messages from a number I cannot reply to?

Standard industry practice. 

Perhaps one of te OVO staff would like to answer all of these points.

I don't work for ovo. Some answers above in case it helps

Honestly if you find other suppliers offer features better suited to your needs then swap suppliers. 

All suppliers have to accept new customers under the ofgem license conditions. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I will dispute some of those responses.

1. I have NOT given my number to OVO so they habve found it from another source - not acceptable to ICO.   They have also taken to calling me with “marketing” and even after being told not to, they continue both text and voice.
  2. I cannot move to a Smart Meter as they apparently will not install an E10.  Even though they care contractually obliged to continue providing E10 service.
  3. The last reading provided were 2 months back - so a reminder is not needed until 90 days.
  4.  “Industry Practice”    - not in my industry.   We allow customer to respond to us using teh same medium if they wish.  Just becasue oythers might does not mean they have to.   To me is is discourteous.

Finally,  I am still waiting for OVO staff to respond.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In response to those:

1. If you gave SSE your number, it would have been transferred to OVO when your account migrated. Your marketing preferences would have also migrated as well on an as-is basis
  2. You need to take up the E10 issue with the Support Team, not this forum I’m afraid
  3. There could be other reasons for needing a reading. I’d recommend submitting one anyway
  4. It is VERY rare that you get to respond to text messages sent by a business - there’s a very good reason for it!
  5. You cannot force OVO staff to respond here. This forum is volunteer led and almost all replies are posted by forum volunteers such as myself and @Jeffus . If you require a staff response, please call 0330 303 5063 or go to https://help.ovoenergy.com 
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I will dispute some of those responses.

1. I have NOT given my number to OVO so they habve found it from another source - not acceptable to ICO.   They have also taken to calling me with “marketing” and even after being told not to, they continue both text and voice.
  2. I cannot move to a Smart Meter as they apparently will not install an E10.  Even though they care contractually obliged to continue providing E10 service.
  3. The last reading provided were 2 months back - so a reminder is not needed until 90 days.
  4.  “Industry Practice”    - not in my industry.   We allow customer to respond to us using teh same medium if they wish.  Just becasue oythers might does not mean they have to.   To me is is discourteous.

Finally,  I am still waiting for OVO staff to respond.

You best bet is to contact the ovo support team then via phone, chat, facebook or twitter. All those channels can give you a personal response from an OVO staff member. All those channels can access your account. 

There are no ovo staff here with access to your account. So you will only get responses from other customers or an ovo moderator.

It is basically a forum for customers helping each other and moderators signposting useful information.

You would be much better off speaking to ovo via another channel if you are looking for a personal response. 

Or raise a complaint here if there is something you are not happy with regarding ovo. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

I don't think you will get what you are looking for via this forum if i am honest. Your time would be better spent via one of the other ovo channels. 

Why after paying my bill in full do I keep getting emails and texts for meter readings...sse used to ask every quarter not every day !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @henry hollies ,

It sounds like you might not have submitted a meter reading for a while. OVO requests them monthly as your billing cycle is probably monthly rather than quarterly now.

If you have a Smart Meter however, you can avoid all this. If you fancy one, you can arrange it via https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com .

Thanks for the reply. very helpfull….no do not have a smart meter and do not really want one so how does one go onto quartlerly bills  rather than monthly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO doesn’t offer them - and most suppliers don’t these days either.

You might be able to discuss a payment plan with quarterly payments if you call 0800 069 9831 and chat with the Collections Team. However, even with this your bills would remain monthly - it’d only modify the payments.

Thanks for answer...will give it some thought