Solved

Just moved into a home OVO supplies - How can I correct the meter details on the account?

• Carbon Cutter***
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone, I am new to the UK and it’s my first time to rent a flat. And the flat is an electricity only flat. No gas. The electricity meter is Elster. Not a smart meter. Not a prepayment meter.

My property agent informed me the previous tenants’ electricity supplier was SSE/OVO. After I checked SSE tariffs on their website, they showed me one year fixed tariff (unit rate - 38.05 pence per kWh; standing charge - 50.5 pence per day) and two year fixed tariff (unit rate - 35.91 pence per kWh; standing charge - 50.5 pence per day). However SSE customer service informed me the account had moved over to OVO Energy on 13/01/2022. 

So I went to check prices on OVO Energy site. The one year fixed tariff shows the unit rate is 40.03 pence per kWh and standing charge is 50.49 pence per day and a smart meter is required. The two year fixed tariff without a smart meter shows the unit rate is 40.26 pence per kWh and standing charge is 50.49 pence per day . Are these prices reasonable? I saw other people’s tariffs seem cheaper than mine. The prices seem too high compared to others. Can I choose any other flexible tariffs? I am so confused right now. I am still not sure how to deal with electricity even though I am moving in tomorrow.

I look forward to getting some advice from you.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 7 April 2022, 11:49

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome @Nin !

It’s good to meet you. I’m Blastoise186 and I’m an OVO member, along with being one of the forum volunteers who helps out here. I just need to let you know that I don’t work for OVO myself, so I won’t be able to help you set your account up but I can definitely give you some advice on how things work.

I’m really sorry I didn’t catch your thread last night. There’s been a lot of folks asking for help this week and it’s been a challenge to keep up.

The first thing you’ll want to do is to take a meter reading today and note it down as you’ll need it later. Once you’ve done that, you can then head over to https://switch.ovoenergy.com to get your account set up. The tool should detect that the supply is already with OVO and give you the option to transfer control over to yourself. Feel free to choose any available tariff but if you’d rather stay on the variable rate Simpler Energy tariff, you’ll need to call 0330 303 5063 instead. You can always switch to a fixed rate deal later.

If you follow the process, you’ll be able to get your account up and running within a couple of hours at most. After that, you’re free to stay with OVO or look elsewhere. Now isn’t a good time to switch supplier though, as it’s unlikely you’d get a better deal elsewhere.

OVO will ask for the opening reading shortly after you set the account up, and this is where you’ll find that reading you take today come in handy.

If you get stuck with anything, please do feel free to reply to this thread and we’ll help you out. There’s several volunteers here including myself and a few of my friends and we’re always happy to help as best we can. I’ll introduce you to @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO as well, who help to run the show here.

Good luck in your new flat!

Hello @Blastoise186

Thank you for your reply.

I applied for a 2-year fixed tariff at 23:58 last night. However, after I filled in all information and submitted the application, I did not receive an email or phone message. I also cannot log in my account. Can I please ask if this is normal? Or will they sent me account information in 3 weeks?

Kind regards,

Nin

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. It should have gone through, but it never hurts to double check. If you give the Support Team a call on 0330 303 5063, they’ll be able to chase up the status of the application for you.

Userlevel 7

I applied for a 2-year fixed tariff at 23:58 last night. However, after I filled in all information and submitted the application, I did not receive an email or phone message. I also cannot log in my account. Can I please ask if this is normal? Or will they sent me account information in 3 weeks?

Just to avoid having to give us a call (the Support Teams are particularly busy this week!) it might be worth hanging on a few days, @Nin .

If you’ve only just completed the online account application it may take up to 5 working days to receive your welcome email.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Hello guys @Blastoise186 and @Jess_OVO ,

Thanks for your help before. Today I received an email saying “Unfortunately, due to a technical issue we are unable to take the details using the online form at present. Please call us to register your details on 0330 303 5063 (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm)”. So I called them and took the 2 year fixed tariff (the unit rate is 40.26 pence per kWh and the standing charge is 50.49 pence per day). They sent me a direct debit email immediately. And they will collect 110 pounds from my debit card next month. I just moved in and I have not used any electricity yet...Why suddenly charge me?

And on my account, I found the meter serial number did not match my current meter serial number. And the minimum payment is 110 pounds. Does this mean I have to pay 110 pounds even if I don’t use any electricity?

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahh… If the Meter Serial Number on the meter itself doesn’t match the one on your account, please flag this up with the Support Team as soon as possible. That’s a very bad state for your account to be in and could result in you paying for someone else’s electricity.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about the confusion when getting your account set-up, @Nin.

As @Blastoise186 mentions it’s important to flag any potential issues with your account details directly to our Support Team

In terms of your Direct Debit arrangement, here at OVO we do take your payments in advance, meaning the first Direct Debit would usually be scheduled around your switch date or during the first couple of weeks if you’ve just moved house. The monthly amount is calculated based on what we think you’ll use over the next year, but we’ll regularly check this amount to make sure its accurate. You can learn more about our Direct Debits over here:

I hope this information helps - Any more questions or updates, pop back here, we’re always happy to help. 😊

Hello guys @Blastoise186 and @Jess_OVO ,

Thanks for your replies again.

After I talked to the collection team, they told me my actual meter serial number is registered as my neighbour’s meter serial number and required me to install a smart meter ASAP…

I am so so so confused now. The meter is at my home and how can it be my neighbour’s meter? How did my neighbour and previous tenants pay for their bills? I do not really want to have a new meter because this is not my property and I would have to discuss with my landlords.

Have you guys experienced this before?

Userlevel 7

After I talked to the collection team, they told me my actual meter serial number is registered as my neighbour’s meter serial number and required me to install a smart meter ASAP…

This does sound like a really confusing situation, @Nin and I’m sorry to hear you might have been mis-advised as to the best steps to get this worked out.

Occasionally there can be address mix-up on the national database which can mean the meter details registered on your account need updating. There’s more details on this process over here:

In this case we’d recommend getting in touch with our Support Team, who can make sure the details are corrected and your energy is charged accurately. The quickest way to reach this team is via our webchat which you can find here.

I hope this helps get things back on track  Do pop back with an update once you’ve been in touch with the team. 🙂

Hello guys @Jess_OVO  @Blastoise186 @Tim_OVO it’s me again.

It’s been for a month...I haven’t got any solution from OVO Energy regarding my meter yet…

And a new issue appeared! 

I entered the flat at 1:20 pm yesterday. Used the washing machine in eco mode for one hour. Turned on the current fridge. Turned on the boiler for 10 minutes. Took one shower with light and fan on. Used a 2200w hairdryer for 2 minutes. Charged my laptop once. No heating or cooking at all. By 10:42 pm, the electricity meter shows I have used 12 kWh. I asked a neighbour and she said that was abnormal.

I checked the meter again this morning. From 10:42 pm to 6:57 am, I consumed 2 kWh when I only kept the fridge on, charged my iPhone and turned on a bedside lamp for a while.

So from 1:20 pm to 6:57 pm, I used 14 kWh without any heating or cooking, which does not really match the energy performance certificate. The EPC is C rating.

I also did a creep test as OVO Energy suggested, there were no changes after I switched off the main switch. They suggest a £149 Meter Accuracy test or replacing a new smart meter.
Can I please ask if it is possible that there is something wrong with the meter or the electricity system? Or because of ageing appliances? When I switch on the bathroom light, the fan will be switched on as well, and the meter will flash very fast (1 kWh for one quick shower).

I also notice when I don’t use any appliance, sometimes the meter indicator red light stay red and sometimes it stays grey. My meter is Elster A100C. 

My letting agency says the only people can help me with ridiculous usage is OVO. Would OVO help me with checking my appliances or just checking the meter? 

Sorry for the long post. I really don’t know who can help me out. I think it’s really unbelievable when I live alone without cooking and heating, even no use of lights (just a small bedside light), I used 14 kWh less than one day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… Your meter passed the creep test but still sounds potentially faulty. The best solution I can think of would be to get a smart meter upgrade, put it in Half-Hourly Mode and then use your free trial of OVO Greenlight to try and get a better understanding of where the energy is being used.

To be honest, your meter is getting quite old anyway and could probably do with being replaced soon anyway.

I’ll look around the forum in case there’s any other members who can help out as well.

Userlevel 7

It’s been for a month...I haven’t got any solution from OVO Energy regarding my meter yet…

I’m really sorry to hear this, @Nin.

Is your meter is in a communal meter cupboard? If so it might also be worth double-checking that the meter you’ve been reading is the one clocking usage in your flat. You can do this by carrying out a kettle test. 

How to perform a kettle test

It’s important that this test is done during a quiet point of the day so that other properties do not inadvertently interfere with the results.

1. Take a meter reading from all electricity meters in the area.
  2. Boil the kettle 3 - 4 times.
  3. One of the meters should clock a lot quicker than the others and this would indicate that this is your meter.

Once you’ve confirmed the correct meter, you can check the details on this meter against those shown on your online account. If the details don’t match we’d recommend getting in touch with the Support Team to make sure these details are put right.

If the details are correct but the usage the meter is clocking is higher than you’d expect we’d recommend following the advice in the guide below. As @Blastoise186 mentions an upgrade to a smart meter would also really help keep an eye on what might be contributing to the usage you’ve seen.

Let us know if this information has helped get to the bottom of things.