Solved

Is it legal for OVO to open an account in my name without permission after moving out?

• 9 September 2022
  • 53 replies

Show first post

53 replies

Thanks for your reply.

I have been passed pillar to post as they can’t find any account in my name or the previous address or the account number on the CARS emails letters etc.

They told me too just ignore it and it will go away.

I don’t want debt collectors turning up at my door that’s my only worry.

I asked them to make a note about CARS but said they can’t as there is no account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for your reply.

I have been passed pillar to post as they can’t find any account in my name or the previous address or the account number on the CARS emails letters etc.

They told me too just ignore it and it will go away.

I don’t want debt collectors turning up at my door that’s my only worry.

I asked them to make a note about CARS but said they can’t as there is no account.

@stesomerville31

I personally wouldn't risk that. 

I think that is poor service and poor advice from whoever you spoke to. 

Put in a complaint to both OVO and SSE as i can't be certain which will help quickest. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

https://sse.co.uk/about-us/sse-and-you/making-a-complaint

I would try and force them to put something in writing that they have contacted CARS, fully investigated, and that you owe nothing. 

They have 8 weeks to resolve or issue a deadlock letter. 

If nothing is done in this time to your satisfaction ask the Energy Ombudsman to help you. 

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

I am still no further on with my problem spent 3 hours of my time today trying to sort the situation out.

I have spoken to OVO given my name previous address postcode the account number given on the debt collection letters and emails and there is not a single thing to be found with them details.

I have done the same with SSE and no luck there either.

I have sent a email the CARS (debt comp) to tell them this and to contact OVO to confirm this.

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated as i am getting very very frustrated.

When i lived at the property with the so called debt i was with spark and was on a pay and go meter. I moved out the property 10/2019 so any debt isn’t my responsibility.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I am still no further on with my problem spent 3 hours of my time today trying to sort the situation out.

I have spoken to OVO given my name previous address postcode the account number given on the debt collection letters and emails and there is not a single thing to be found with them details.

I have done the same with SSE and no luck there either.

I have sent a email the CARS (debt comp) to tell them this and to contact OVO to confirm this.

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated as i am getting very very frustrated.

When i lived at the property with the so called debt i was with spark and was on a pay and go meter. I moved out the property 10/2019 so any debt isn’t my responsibility.

@Tim_OVO @Emmanuelle_OVO i don't suppose you know if OVO use CARS as a debt collector?

https://www.carsuk.org/how-to-contact-us/

@stesomerville31 if i were you i would send any email you send to CARS to the OVO and SSE complaints email addresses at the same time. Any any email or correspondence you get from CARS send it to the OVO and SSE  complaints email addresses . Just so there is absolutely no ambiguity that OVO and SSE doesn't know what is going on. 

complaints@ovoenergy.com

complaints@sseenergyservices.com

You could write to the OVO CEO. Several customers have reported they have done that. 

https://company.ovo.com/team/3934/

Userlevel 7

Hey @stesomerville31,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had,

We did acquire Spark Energy a number of years ago, so I wonder if it’s anything to do with this? We have a tool internally where our Support Team can search an account number and it’ll advise what external debt collection agency the account has been passed on to. If the account details return no results it suggests it’s not been placed externally with a debt collection agency. I’d advise contacting the debt collection agency directly in regards to this if OVO aren’t finding your account. 

Thanks for your reply @Emmanuelle_OVO 

I have done what @Jeffus advised and sent a email to OVO and SSE complaints dept and included the debt company and they have replied saying they can’t find anything with the details i have provided IE name address postcode account number on the debt letter and said they can’t go any further with the right information.

I can’t give them information i haven’t got or don’t know.

I have spoken to CARS numerous times and they have said speak to OVO SSE but i haven’t got anywhere as they can’t find any account.

I have attached a screenshot of the debt letter email stating i owe there client OVO 178.80z

Any help with would be appreciated.

I am getting so frustrated with it all now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for your reply @Emmanuelle_OVO 

I have done what @Jeffus advised and sent a email to OVO and SSE complaints dept and included the debt company and they have replied saying they can’t find anything with the details i have provided IE name address postcode account number on the debt letter and said they can’t go any further with the right information.

I can’t give them information i haven’t got or don’t know.

I have spoken to CARS numerous times and they have said speak to OVO SSE but i haven’t got anywhere as they can’t find any account.

I have attached a screenshot of the debt letter email stating i owe there client OVO 178.80z

Any help with would be appreciated.

I am getting so frustrated with it all now.

Ask the OVO and SSE complaints teams for a deadlock letter then as the complaint definitely sounds deadlocked to me 

Once you have the deadlock letter you can go straight to the Energy Ombudsman.

It is a personal opinion, but i think it is very poor service OVO won't simply pick up the phone and speak to CARS given this is clearly a company chasing  for money in OVOs name. If i was ovo i would want to find out what CARS was up to in case some fraud was being committed in the name of OVO. Surely OVO would want to find out what CARS is up to? 

Im going through the exact same thing now !

My wife was an ovo customer (not me) and when she sold her house and we moved into our new home she closed her ovo account at her old house. We set up a redirection service and I then started to get bills for her house as a search and trace was done by Ovo which ‘linked me’ to the property. Ovo have now set up a fictitious account in my name and have made me responsible for energy consumption in a property I don’t live in.I have tried many times with many phone calls to try to resolve this but meet a brick wall as they have now estimated bills for the property and have made me responsible. I should add that we sold our house as part exchange for a new build house and the old house remains vacant at this time. The latest is a letter threatening me with legal action if I don’t pay up. I have sent a completion certificate to the homes division as evidence of my new property yet this is deemed unacceptable, yet the proof they ask for is unattainable as it doesn’t exist. There’s no lease as I am a homebuyer, no mortgage statement as I don’t have one so cannot provide the evidence Ovo deem acceptable to them. I am not going to pay a bill for a property I don’t live at and when I told one agent the readings were estimates, she even told me I needed to go to the property and get real readings!!!! Really!!!!!!!
how can they do this? I now face a debt collection agency chasing me for money I don’t owe, with possible CCJ against me which would affect my credit rating for an imaginary debt that isn’t mine. OVO have no desire to help and cannot see how ridiculous this whole situation is. It’s a waste of their time and mine yet show no care for how this is affecting me. Is there anything else I can do as the stress is making me ill

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Swmurray 

Sorry to hear that, I am just a customer like you. Rather than comment on your particular case, here are some suggestions, some of which you may already have tried.

It is never great hearing ovo is making people physically and mentally ill.

If you haven't already I suggest you put in a complaint now.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Explain in detail the moving dates, the information you have provided etc, all the dates and times you have corresponded with OVO.

Ask OVO to freeze the collection activity in the complaint. You can also try asking collections to freeze the collection process if you haven't already 0800 069 9831

Then if all else fails in 8 weeks time you can go to the Energy Ombudsman.

https://www.energyombudsman.org/

You could trying asking for a deadlock letter almost immediately if ovo keep asking for information you simply can never provide. If they give you the deadlock letter you can then go straight to the Ombudsman rather than wait 8 weeks.

It may be messy as they may say they can't raise a complaint in their system but that is OVOs issue not yours I personally think.

You can also try contacting the OVO CEO team after raising your complaint.

Raman-complaints@ovoenergy.com

OVO currently have one of the  the worst record for complaints escalated to the Energy Ombudsman and Citizens Advice so there is every incentive to get this sorted hopefully.

I could go through the comments you have raised but I am not sure how helpful it would be right now. I or someone else may do that later.

It can be useful to keep this thread updated as things progress.

You can always include this thread in correspondence with ovo

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-account-140/ovo-threatening-legal-action-16748

Thanks Jeffus  for all your suggestions and I will try some of them especially to freeze this madness to allow time for a resolution. I have emailed the CEO team and hope that may have some success. I will definitely try for a deadlock too.

I find it hard to fathom how they are allowed to generate an account for an unsuspecting person and then threaten to take them to court for non payment of a non existent bill.it is scandalous 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks Jeffus  for all your suggestions and I will try some of them especially to freeze this madness to allow time for a resolution. I have emailed the CEO team and hope that may have some success. I will definitely try for a deadlock too.

I find it hard to fathom how they are allowed to generate an account for an unsuspecting person and then threaten to take them to court for non payment of a non existent bill.it is scandalous 

Uunfortunately they are allowed to follow a standard search process and you will have come up on this as you have found. This is standard unfortunately. You may well see this via the credit reference agencies for example. You then have to prove you are not associated from the date you moved out and the bill has nothing to do with you. You are not the first person on the forum to post how frustrating this can be.

Is this correct:

1. The house with the issue is the house your wife owned and the bills were in her name with OVO.

2. She successfully closed the account including receiving a final bill.

3. I assume she didn't have a smart meter so gave a final reading.  OVO are not contesting her final bill.

4. The house was bought by the builders and is vacant.

5. OVO refuse to accept you don't live in the property, you moved out the same time as your wife.

6. Do you know if the builders ever setup an account with OVO and if so what starting date and readings they gave? Or is the bill still going up in your name every day even now?

I do find some of the OVO processes simply not fit for purpose and they are impacting peoples health and complaints are getting worse according to the Ombudsman.

Hi Jeffus 

yes you have it totally correct on all counts.The builders/developers haven’t set up an account in their name. It’s going up daily in my name. The Ovo search and trace linked my name with the address so they are making me responsible for it 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus 

yes you have it totally correct on all counts.The builders/developers haven’t set up an account in their name. It’s going up daily in my name. The Ovo search and trace linked my name with the address so they are making me responsible for it 

OK

I have made a general comment to the ovo moderators in the background that they should pick up tomorrow.

They read every thread and comment on some others.  So they may comment on your thread in the morning or at a later date as things progress.

That’s wonderful, thank you so much, I have not felt this sense of frustration and stress over a situation that is entirely of a large corporations own making without any care or attention towards an individual. It’s actually frightening that they are able to attempt to threaten an individual without any care or attention and that they do so without punishment 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Swmurray,

I’m sorry for the issues you’re having, it sounds very stressful. 

I’m really surprised they aren’t accepting your documents, usually a bill from your new property is fine. 

I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Keep an eye out on this page @Swmurray 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

Thank you and I appreciate any help that you can provide to resolve this issue 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thank you and I appreciate any help that you can provide to resolve this issue 

Hi @Swmurray 

You may already have done this

You are entitled to one off free statutory reports from credit agencies. These give you the raw information they hold without signing up for anything long term that costs money, although there are often offers. By law they have to provide these statutory reports free. 

For experian:

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

For Equifax

https://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credit/statutory-report.html

OVO use Experian.

It might be worth checking there isn't anything inadvertently left registered at your old address.

I usually check my current address once a year just to make sure nothing dodgy has happened.

Hi Jeffus

Thanks for all your help in this as your advice was invaluable and using your guidance I have managed to get this account closed and the matter resolved. It still makes me so angry that they can treat an individual so shabbily and it caused me so much stress and angst and it makes me wonder how it would affect someone else who wouldn’t know where to turn,I think of older relations who would be terrified at the behaviour of Ovo. They really should not be allowed to act in this manner

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Swmurray 

Happy to help and great to hear you are sorted.

Out of interest did OVO offer any compensation? You may simply be happy things are sorted

The average compensation for billing issues awarded against OVO specifically in the last quarter by the Energy Ombudsman was £206.

So some compensation directly from OVO seems reasonable to me.

It can be difficult to get some things resolved in an easy and timely manner, but this isn’t just OVO. The recent addition of being able to escalate complaints to the OVO CEO Team appears to be helping, but early days. 

OVO have similar Trustpilot ratings to many suppliers 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Hi Jeffus

to be honest I was just relieved that the saga had come to an end….

except…. Despite me telling them they have the wrong person, today my wife has received a bill from them instead. So despite her closing the account, them coming after me, they have now decided that my wife is the new account holder. Honestly you couldn’t make this stuff up

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus

to be honest I was just relieved that the saga had come to an end….

except…. Despite me telling them they have the wrong person, today my wife has received a bill from them instead. So despite her closing the account, them coming after me, they have now decided that my wife is the new account holder. Honestly you couldn’t make this stuff up

Ouch @Swmurray 

I have flagged the OVO moderators in the background in case that helps. Has she spoken to OVO yet?

She’s emailed them and calling them this morning.  She has the confirmation details from when she closed the account the first time. It’s mental really as they know who the new owners are but still can’t get it right 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Swmurray 

Sorry to hear this is still ongoing.

Let us know how she gets on with them today. We’ll also check in with Forum Support for any updates.