Solved

Is it legal for OVO to open an account in my name without permission after moving out?

• 9 September 2022
  • 53 replies

Show first post

53 replies

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about this, @Swmurray and I echo what Abby advised about Forum_Support. 

You’ve mentioned that the house is currently vacant. The people you sold the house to will need to contact OVO so an account can be set up. If that’s a housing development, the council, whatever it might be. They need to proactively contact the utility providers including OVO. 

Do you know if this has been done? 

Hello

We moved into a property in October last year which OVO had supplied energy to.  We changed to a new supplier.  The house had been previously tenanted and within days letters began arriving from OVO chasing for an unpaid amount prior to our ownership.  The letters were always addressed to “The Occupier”.  I have phoned, emailed, used the chat line, returned the demands, spoken politely to, screamed, shouted and lost the will to live trying to get somebody at OVO to recognise that whoever owes this debt it is not us.  They will not even tell me the persons name on their account, ok but accept it is not us.

Finally after a last meltdown OVO seemed to accept the situation and their demands stopped coming.  A weeks grace and now we have demands from a debt collection company that OVO have instructed.  I have tried to explain to this company that the person responsible for this debt no longer lives here and ownership changed in October.  Still the threats are coming.

my husband has a heart condition and this really is the last thing we need.  Who the hell can I go to to get this stopped. Is complaining to the ombudsman any use…..do I have to get a solicitor involved…..how do I stop what is now basically harassment from OVO….

anyone else had this.

thank you

Userlevel 6

Hi @Nemo18 

Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having. 

If your new home is supplied by OVO, you should call our Support Team on 0330 303 5063, we’re open Monday- Friday 9am to 5pm. Or, if you’d prefer to do it all online you can sign up here

Once you put in your new address details the website will recognise we already supply your new home and give you a quote based on the usage figures we have for the property. 

We have some great guides which might answer any other questions you may have about this topic:

Once you’ve set up your account, we’ll email you a welcome pack within 5 working days. This will confirm your new account details… It's now time to set up your Online Account!

Anything addressed to ‘The Occupier’ may not directly be associated with yourself, and will likely account for a period of time where you weren’t liable so you need your own account to be billed from. This means you’ll only be billed from when you took over at the property, that’s why it’s important to have your own account, and not to continue under ‘The Occupier’. 

Who the hell can I go to to get this stopped. Is complaining to the ombudsman any use…..do I have to get a solicitor involved…..how do I stop what is now basically harassment from OVO….

You can raise a complaint with our Support Team if you’ve not already got one raised. If that complaint remains open and unresolved for 8 weeks, the Ombudsman may then look into the case following a deadlock letter. You can find out more on our complaints process here

For more information check out this helpful tutorial: