Tutorial

I’m moving house, why can’t I take my OVO account with me?

• 15 January 2018
  • 41 replies
I’m moving house, why can’t I take my OVO account with me?

Show first post

41 replies

It's a new build house nobody ever lived init before? So why would I need to do a meter reading 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Meters are installed by energy companies so your meter will already be registered to a particular company. You will need to set up an account with that company before you can switch to a different one.

You need to take a starting meter reading because electricity will have been used in the house before you moved in. Even if it hasn't, your electricity company will need a starting meter reading to bill you from.

I'm hoping to complete on a property in the next few weeks. I've got to get renovations done before i move in, prob take about 6 weeks. I'll still be living at my current property until renovations done. Can i have a second OVO account at the new place while renovations being done or do i have to go with a new supplier at the new property? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @LSdevon , if there’s already a supplier for the new place, you will need to go with them before any switch. If you don’t know who it is, you can find out here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/find-out-who-your-gas-or-electricity-supplier-is/

I'm not sure but i think the estate agent said they were with utility warehouse before the old boy died and the wife moved away. Many thanks, I'll have a look at that link. Thank you so much for your help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You probably are already aware but do check the meter readings when you take ownership so that you can’t be charged for anything before then

Oh excellent, thanks for that! I'm not even sure where the meters are situated but I'm going to do a final visit before exchange and completion so that i can find out. There are multiple boxes outside the flat. It's a very old house converted into 8 or 9 flats and looks like all the meters are outside. I'm guessing gas and electric meters are separate and not in the same box? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I would guess so but I’m not 100%.
Get the registration numbers from the meters so that you can positively identify that you have the right ones connected and billed to the property.

Many thanks for your help! I'll follow the links you've sent me as soon as i go back to the flat and then when i complete on it. You've been amazingly helpful, very much appreciated! 

I will be moving home soon and the new property has a prepayment meter eith a different provider. I would like meter removed and to stay with Ovo who I'm.with now and pay direct debit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Isabella15 and welcome to the customer forum. When moving property, the routine is to take up supply with the existing provider and then switch if you want to afterwards. 
There are details here 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/setting-up-your-gas-and-electricity-in-your-new-home

I’m in process of moving and for couple of weeks have both properties - both are with OVO.

Can I close existing property online and transfer balance to new property? I’m guessing not so realistically how long does it take?

OVO have sent a letter to new property and told me to go online to register - however only 1 of 69 flats in block listed despite writing to me! Guess I’m going to have to call them once I’ve moved. At a guess they’ll want another email address out of me to set up a new account or can I add this new property to the existing account?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @ad51 ,

This comment was left by a Forum Volunteer. We don’t work for OVO.

I’m afraid you can’t transfer balances between accounts. You can close the old one online via MyOVO under Moving Home though, and whatever credit is left after the final bill is paid will be refunded automatically back to your bank account. This may take up to six weeks though.

You can also enter an address manually if the search tool doesn’t pick it up - that usually fixes this issue.

And yup, you can re-use the existing email address on the new account.

Any other questions, lmk. :)

Thx for quick reply.

I enter full address hit Get Quote and get this which I assume is address related and no point trying later.

Oops, there’s a problem…

Sorry. Something seems to have gone wrong. Please try again later.

Userlevel 6

Hey @ad51 

Blastoise advice is spot on above, especially regarding the moving out process.

With the new property, he is still correct there, but in this case, it sounds like the address might not be registered correctly with the national database, and in some circumstances like new builds, they can still be unregistered on some occasions. 

You’ll need to get in touch with the Support Team to get that new account set up in this case. You’ll be able to do this tomorrow with the team when the support channels open again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m in process of moving and for couple of weeks have both properties - both are with OVO.

Can I close existing property online and transfer balance to new property? I’m guessing not so realistically how long does it take?

OVO have sent a letter to new property and told me to go online to register - however only 1 of 69 flats in block listed despite writing to me! Guess I’m going to have to call them once I’ve moved. At a guess they’ll want another email address out of me to set up a new account or can I add this new property to the existing account?   

@ad51

If you have gas at your new property you can quickly check if the property is registered on the National database @Abby_OVO mentioned here

https://www.findmysupplier.energy/

You can check if the electricity is registered by looking up the DNO

https://supplier.nationalgrid.co.uk/Home/IndexM

Then go to the DNO website and ask them who your supplier is.

Is it a new build?