Solved

How do I get my refund back after my account has closed after moving home?

I am owed money by OVO after closing my account when moving..
I have sent pictures by email to them of final meter readings as asked for by call centre now I have an email asking me to call the call centre to give my final meter readings who have asked me to email pictures of my final meter reading.

Any one able to help with next step please as it is nearly £400 owed to me when they took over SSE whom i was with before this shower came along..

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 18 August 2022, 17:35

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 26/06/24 by Shads_OVO

Hi @FannyByGaslight - sorry to hear about this service loop - not fun. 

Here’s a guide that shows how to close your account via your online account:

If the reading is on the account, the final bill is generated and the account is closed, the refund will be automatic. If anything is stuck in that process, the Support team are best placed to fix it.

I’d recommend avoiding email despite the advice you were given (I’m passing this on as feedback), as you can get a quicker response via online chat, where you can attach documents or images. See online chat here.

I have recently deactivated my account but it's been over 3 weeks and I still haven't received my refund. I am so angry I have contacted them several times but no action has been taken. They need to give me my money. Its over £500 and I need that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’ll need to wait a bit longer. It takes around six weeks to generate the Final Bill and issue any refunds due.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Feii

You need to wait up to 6 weeks under the ofgem rules

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/new-customer-compensation-payments-further-improve-switching#:~:text=From%201%20May%202020%2C%20customers,six%20weeks%20of%20a%20switch.

If it takes longer than this you can claim compensation in normal circumstances.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

They said the refund will be with me in 4 days.. that was 3 weeks ago

It took me 6 months to get my final bill. After 6 weeks, they added £30 to my account as compensation for the delay, but that was just added to the total they owed and hadn’t paid. I contacted them repeatedly to chase up the final bill and refund, but the only way I could get them to take any actual action was to lodge a formal complaint.

Userlevel 7

Not a good experience, @Ann83 - has that refund been received now? What was the cause of the final bill delay?

I received the refund eventually, after several months of chasing. The final bill was delayed because a technical problem with the meter meant that some of my previous bills had been calculated incorrectly and had to be recalculated before the final bill could be issued.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

They said the refund will be with me in 4 days.. that was 3 weeks ago

Hi @Feii

Any more progress in the last couple of weeks?

Has it been over 6 weeks in total now? 

Hello, 

I have closed my account towards the end of April as I was moving homes. I had a direct debit while having the account. Ovo made a calculation of the credit I was owed which was £1.78. However, as I had not yet removed my direct debit, a few days after, my bank account paid Ovo £149. I am now owed this amount (my Ovo account has £149 in credit) and I cannot get through to talk with anyone.

I tried email, which bounces back, I have tried calling, as well as messaging them on whatsapp and online chat. Since my account does not exist anymore (since I closed it- even though I can still access it and see the credit balance), I cannot get through the bots to speak with a real person!

Any idea how to get to talk to a real person to sort this? I have not received any new emails from Ovo regarding my recent credit. 

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 6

Hey @as1105

Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re having getting the final credit back.

Have you received the final bill from OVO yet? I would expect that any credit will be automatically refunded to you after the final bill is made. It can take a few weeks for that to appear so double check on your online account to see if that has been produced, and if not, hold out for that as the credit will automatically be refunded then. 

You can still login to your online account, and you can use those account details over contact methods such as webchat, so if for any reason the refund is not received automatically, you can still get in touch with the Support Team

Take a look at this similar topic here: 

Hello @Abby_OVO, thanks for your reply.

I have already received the final bill from OVO and it did not include the £149.00 (even though the credit of £149 still appears on my account). 

I have tried already to contact OVO with multiple methods but none of them was successful. I only come across bots, which they seem to end my request as soon as I give my account number. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @as1105 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having getting through to someone.

Have you been able to speak with anyone yet?

It may be worth not giving the account details when prompted, as I’ve read on other threads that this can help bypass the Bots and get you talking to one of the Support Team.

Hopefully you get through to them soon to get this sorted, keep us updated with how you get on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s also worth noting that the keyword “agent” will trigger the bot to transfer you to a human. However, to speed things up it does ask the security questions before doing so and it’s best to answer them at this stage. If the bot thinks there’s a particular group of agents best suited to you, it’ll them route you to that group rather than the main queue which really speeds things up.

Hi @Abby_OVO and @Blastoise186 ,

I have already tried not answering the account question, or not answering any of the other questions to check whether I would be able to get through an agent. I have tried that multiple times and with multiple combinations. No luck… 

Would you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… Strange… Try https://ovoenergy.com/feedback for now

I have finally managed to contact them! 

Thank you, this is now solved. 

Hi, 

My electricity accout number is *Edited by Mod*.I am SSE user but it has changed and now is OVO.I have overpaid my bill and I am moving on 24 June2023. Could you please help me how to return my money and how to close my account considering the 24June2023 will be my last day at the property?

tThank you very much!!

*Edited by Mod*

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Also, just a tip for you.

You might want to uninstall that PDF reader app. Android comes with one built-in as part of the Google Drive app that doesn’t have pesky ads in it. Most of the other PDF apps on the Play Store try to take advantage of people not knowing that.

If you need apps for Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, the Google Docs, Sheets and Slides apps work fine for those too, don’t have ads and don’t require you to upload files to Google Drive.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Kristina,

Thanks for posting this. I’ve made it into a question topic. 

It sounds like you’re moving house on the 24th June. If your account is moving to OVO, we should have everything sorted by that time. When your OVO online account is live, submit the details of your house move here: https://account.ovoenergy.com/moving-home

You can do this in advance of the move date, or after it. We’ll refund any credit in the account following the final bill. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Kristina,

Thanks for posting this. I’ve made it into a question topic. 

It sounds like you’re moving house on the 24th June. If your account is moving to OVO, we should have everything sorted by that time. When your OVO online account is live, submit the details of your house move here: https://account.ovoenergy.com/moving-home

You can do this in advance of the move date, or after it. We’ll refund any credit in the account following the final bill. 

Hopefully it will be quicker. 

Just so you are aware there are industry standards of up to 6 weeks for a final bill then up to 10 days for a refund. 

So I moved out of my rented house and closed my OVO account accordingly. I moved out on 26th May. However OVO took money out of my account June 1st, after the account closed. My previous housemates have stated that they have been billed for 25th May till 25th June. How can I resolve this issue as I have just paid a large sum of money?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Best option is do nothing. You'll be refunded any and all spare credit automatically once the final bill is paid off. 

I have already had my final bill and we have still been double charged.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you think a refund hasn’t been issued that should have been, please talk to OVO directly. Live Chat is open today until around 2pm.