Solved

How can I switch from a business / commercial electricity supply to a domestic?

Show first post

28 replies

i have a domestic Ovo supplied meter in the house and a  business SSE one with three phase in the detached garage, used very little but expensive.  There is no business use and I've never used three phase. It was for a pottery hobby of a previous owner.  I was told when I moved in 20 years ago the two could be merged but didn't bother.  How do I get to a single domestic supply?  The meters are in different buildings.  SSE saying not possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @DrDR ,

I think the best solution in this case would be to ask the current supplier (SSE’s business side of things) to convert the supply to a Domestic supply and then move it to a Domestic supplier like OVO. It shouldn’t be too difficult to do.

Alternatively, switch the business supply to someone who offers both sides and get them to swap it to a Domestic supply. E.On Next has previously confirmed on the OVO Forum that they’re capable of doing this even if you don’t want to stay with them after the swap as you’ll then be able to stick or switch to any Domestic supplier of your choosing.

Their Community Manager is effectively a friend of the forum so we’re able to get her advice on some of these things.

I can’t think of an easy way to merge both supplies into one without some serious rewiring work, so it’s probably cheaper and easier to keep them as two separate supplies.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want a single supply you need to have one of them disconnected. The obvious one to disconnect is the garage.

If you still need electricity in the garage you will need to run a cable from your house and have an electrician connect it to the consumer units at each end. How difficult it is depends on how far the garage is from the house.