Solved

Difficulty applying for a switch to OVO - How can I update my supply address listed on the national database?

• 31 August 2021
  • 18 replies

Hello

I am trying to switch to OVO using the online quote facility. The quote defaults to the wrong supply address and there doesn’t seem to be a facility to change this. The incorrect supply address is a flat in the same building as the main house. Any advice on how to get the correct supply address on the quote?

Note that this is not a new problem. A previous switch resulted on a gas meter from one address and an electricity meter the other being transferred but I was assured that the central database had been updated to stop this happening again.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 1 September 2021, 17:41

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/06/24 by Shads_OVO:

Sorry to hear of the issue you’re having in applying to join us.

It’s worth mentioning that if you’re not able to see your address on our Quote and Switch drop-down menu, you can input your address manually by clicking ‘Is your address not listed?’ 

Exact appearance may vary

If you’ve had trouble switching in the past, it’s worth checking that the details held for your address have been updated on the national database. Our Support Team can check this for you, however only your current supplier can request any changes if needed. 

It usually takes around 4 weeks for any updates to the national database, so we’d recommend contacting your current supplier ASAP and confirming the details are correct before applying to switch.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

After checking Find My Supplier I realise my meters are still registered with ecoes under a now non existent postcode which was changed by Royal Mail in 1999. Ovo have my present postcode on their systems. I did inform my supplier in 1999 of change of postcode,  sent photos of meters to OVO as requested.  After numerous emails, chats with OVO metering agents I’m still no further on, Now telling me I need to get Royal Mail to change my postcode and they will update all systems. I give up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Difficult to know what to suggest as you have already tried on multiple occasions to get this sorted. 

Be good to get sorted in case it ever causes issues if you attempt to switch suppliers. 

If you haven’t already you could put in a complaint and then ask for a deadlock letter given the time it has taken to see if this speeds up the process. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

After checking my first OVO bill, electric bill is correct postcode, gas bill under non existent postcode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

After checking my first OVO bill, electric bill is correct postcode, gas bill under non existent postcode.

I’m sure you’ve probably checked but are both meters on the ECOES database under the wrong postcode?

can only find gas meter on find my supplier which is still under non existent postcode and shows OVO  as my supplier, had a new electric smart meter fitting in June this year so that may have been updated, Cant find how to check electric meter on database though, live in Scotland

Also all my bill from SSE were under my present postcode, seem OVO have reverted back to postcode registered with ecoes for gas

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Find My Supplier is run by Xoserve and does gas only. For electric, you need to chat with your DNO

How do i contact DNO, thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

How do i contact DNO, thanks

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/finding-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

Thankyou

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thankyou

Or this

https://supplier.nationalgrid.co.uk/Home/IndexM

This is the National Grid DNO (south west of UK) , but they will tell you if they are not your DNO and who your DNO is when I have used the tool. 

Just been on online chat with OVO,  agent said she will update to correct postcode and will take approx 48 hours, cant see the national database being updated within this time so wont hold my breath, why is something so simple so difficult to get sorted, Thanks for all of your help guys, I really do appreciate it

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just been on online chat with OVO,  agent said she will update to correct postcode and will take approx 48 hours, cant see the national database being updated within this time so wont hold my breath, why is something so simple so difficult to get sorted, Thanks for all of your help guys, I really do appreciate it

Yes, all ovo can do is submit the request, it may take longer for 3rd parties to actually make the change so you can see it.

The ovo moderators on the forum have said this in the past regarding updates

"If we do need to update your details on the national database we can then make the request to have this done - it will take around 2-4 weeks for this to be completed." 

So perhaps wait 4 weeks and get back to ovo if it is not done then. 

Ovo are hopeless on addresses. They use the electrical address database, which is full of address errors, rather than the gas address database which we consumer's are directed to and appears to be much more accurate.

We constantly get OVO stuff through our letter box with a weird address which is presumably for someone else in our block. They have made no attempt to correct it.

It would seem to be a straight forward process to compare the electrical address database with Royal Mails database and correct it or better still come up with an energy supply address database common to all suppliers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ovo are hopeless on addresses. They use the electrical address database, which is full of address errors, rather than the gas address database which we consumer's are directed to and appears to be much more accurate.

We constantly get OVO stuff through our letter box with a weird address which is presumably for someone else in our block. They have made no attempt to correct it.

It would seem to be a straight forward process to compare the electrical address database with Royal Mails database and correct it or better still come up with an energy supply address database common to all suppliers.

This is a matter well beyond OVO’s control. Only someone independent of ALL suppliers can create such a database, and OVO can’t just use the Royal Mail one either.

Userlevel 7

Hey @dunromin,

The electricity database Ecoes is used by all suppliers. It doesn’t directly match the Royal Mail because it’s about energy supplies. As opposed to addresses, for example, some addresses have several supplies, and related MPANS. 

If an address is incorrect, the customer can raise this with their supplier and get the address amended. 

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO 

It's the EOES database that's the problem. They may have other addresses for equipment not at a consumer addresses but they should keep their domestic addresses in line with he Royal Mail.

The letters I get delivered from OVO addressed to the occupier of an address I don't recognise I send back to OVO. If the posty can find the address what hope has a meter fitter or a baillif of finding the property?

Wrong addresses must lead to all sorts of problems but ECOES have no interest in cleaning up their act.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Colet,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If your address is listed incorrectly on the electricity national database, you’ll need to go to your supplier again to get this updated and ensure it matches the Royal Mail. You’ll need to do so before you switch to another supplier.