Solved

Why is my Secure Liberty 100 electricity smart meter beeping?

• 13 September 2020
  • 31 replies

Show first post

31 replies

Userlevel 1

I have finally got through to someone who has appreciated my frustrations and have an engineer coming this evening. Only because I mentioned that my lights had flickered this afternoon!
thank you guys for all your help. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Samantha 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @Jones - The Moderators, like @Tim_OVO, don’t work weekends. But I’ll be around.

I hope the engineer takes a moment to put your mind at ease by telling you what caused the Alarm to start in the first place. You could ask his name, although company policy is probably that you only get his forename.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Any news @Jones ?

Did you receive a visit from a tall dark stranger bearing a toolbox? :wink:

My liberty 100 electricity meter beeps every 30 seconds or so. Otherwise seems to be working ok anyone any idea what is causing it or how to switch it off?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Jolid ,

It sounds like there might be a fault with it. Have you checked the display on the meter itself?

Are you on Pay As You Go perhaps?

Userlevel 7

We’ve has this asked before, @Jolid, here:

“Sorry to hear about your beeping electricity Secure Liberty smart meter - that does sound really frustrating and indicates that there could be a fault with the meter.

It’s worth checking that the beeping is definitely coming from your electricity meter, it’s more often a gas meter which emits a beeping noise when the battery on the meter is running low - see more details on this related topic. As our faulty meter guide suggests another possibility is a carbon monoxide detector close to your meter is actually the culprit behind this beep.

If you’ve double checked and the beeping is definitely coming from your electricity meter there’s a few things that might be causing this:

• Low credit on a prepayment meter (which may suggest your meter mode has been incorrectly changed if you usually pay monthly for your energy)
  • The front cover of the meter being loose, breaking a magnetic seal triggering the alert sounds 
  • Excessive magnetic fields in the vicinity, which have the same effect as the breaking of the magnetic seal mentioned above. 

In any case our Support Team can help to get to the bottom of things. They may request a video recording demonstrating the beep before advising of the next steps. If they assess that the beeping may be a tamper alarm this  should be treated as an urgent same day appointment.”