Solved

Why is my boiler not working after I got a smart meter installed?

• 24 August 2018
  • 17 replies

Hi!
I've got my smart meter yesterday but something went wrong and my boiler is not working.
It's Friday night and I have no hot water until the next week???
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 28 August 2018, 13:32

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 20/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to hear of the issue you had with your gas boiler after getting a Smart Meter installed, this could be down to an air pocket in your gas pipes.

Whenever there is a disruption to your gas pipes, such as the installation of a new gas appliance or in this case a new meter, there’s a chance that air may enter the system which would affect the gas supply. To prevent this happening our engineers purge your gas system after replacing the meter/ This involves releasing gas into the system, which forces removal of air. Once the air is fully removed, we’re able to relight your appliances.

See advice from Transparent here as well:

If you have a gas cooker @Kolonics.Terez, you could try lighting those burners to "pull" any air pockets out of the internal pipework. They are still likely to work ok.

The reason a boiler is less likely to work is because it has a "flame sensor" which shuts off the gas supply if the flame isn't detected within a few seconds.

Occasionally even after purging, trace amounts of air may remain which later cause a disruption to your supply, as happened in your case. We’d recommend contacting a gas-safe engineer if you experience any issues with your supply following a gas meter installation. An engineer would be able to carry out a full check of your appliances if another purge fails to get things sorted. 

I hope once these installation issues have been resolved, you can begin enjoying the benefits of your new Smart Meters.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
If you have a gas cooker @Kolonics.Terez, you could try lighting those burners to "pull" any air pockets out of the internal pipework. They are still likely to work ok.

The reason a boiler is less likely to work is because it has a "flame sensor" which shuts off the gas supply if the flame isn't detected within a few seconds.
Userlevel 5
@Transparent - nice one! I didn't know that about the flame sensor!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
And I didn't think of a meter installation leaving air pockets, @Nancy_OVO ... which I guess is beauty of a Forum - knowledge combined for mutual benefit 🙂

Had a new smart meter installed. Straight away my 8 month old new boiler stops working with an F3 fan issue? I called the guys who fitted the boiler & they say happens a lot after the smart meter. Fair enough it's under warranty so waiting a cold week or so. Then Gas network wants to fix an issue with the new meter so come back to dig up the meter. All good according to the guy who writes a cert of compliance. Astonishing coincidence. Now my gas hob dosnt work! 

A smart meter will cost you serious money is my experience 

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having with some of your gas appliances, @Bob123. 

We’ve been fitting smart meters now for a long time. I’ve seen it all since my time at OVO. A smart meter being installed is just like having a non-smart meter installed, which should happen every 10 years or so. The gas supply is cut, the meter is fitted, the gas supply is reconnected. 

Usually the appliance that presents an issue coincides with the meter being fitted because the gas supply needed to be cut for its installation. The equivalent for electricity I see often is burglar alarms. It wasn’t the smart meter that’s put in place, it’s the power being cut for the meter to be fitted, that prompted the issue. 

All of this is guesswork and gas safe engineers are best placed to identify any issues with home gas appliances. If a fault can be proved by them to have been caused by the smart meter being installed incorrectly or a fault with the meter, and this is documented and sent to the energy supplier that installed the meter, then an investigation can start. 

Hope it all gets sorted for you either way. 

The gas installers & plumbers are all gone & my house is cold for a week since they fitted the new meter. Now we only have an electrical oven & immersion since they repaired the meter. 

The only answer from anyone is "not our fault, probably a coincidence", that is what your family will face when you let this very flawed system cause havoc in your home. 

The bottom line is now I need to get a plumber to fix all this damage in my home. 

Anyone considering this rubbish should avoid it. If your meter is working, let it working. These guys will walk out & let you with massive bills & a very cold winter

Userlevel 7

Hey @Bob123,

That sounds like a very frustrating situation. 

If you request a job report when the installer comes out to fix your boiler and hob, and it says that the issue was caused by the smart meter install, you can ask to be reimbursed for the cost of getting someone out to the property. 

Thanks for that, whilst your plumbers are running around wrecking places I have to wait for a week to get a plumber in just to repair it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

From what I understand though, the engineer who installed the Smart Meters would have purged the system during the process. And regardless of what type of gas meter you’re having installed, air is inevitably going to get into the system anyway. It’s basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

If my understanding is correct, OVO wouldn’t be liable for any traces of air that didn’t get flushed out during the purge, nor would this be considered an issue caused by having a smart meter.

According to my sources, F3 is a fault code specific to Ideal boilers. The code specifically means Fault with fan. The most likely causes are reported to be:

• The fan is loose or damaged
  • Loose or damaged connections
  • Water damage from a boiler leak
  • A problem with the air pressure switch
  • PCB failure

None of those stand out to me as being Smart Meter or Meter Exchange related. But as I’m not a Gas Safe Engineer, I’m not qualified to make a formal diagnosis.

If the fault code was F2 Flame loss instead, I’d be more convinced that the meter exchange caused it!

Hi everyone

Which number can i contact if the boiler is failing? There doesnt seem to be a helpline for this emergency. The emergency line only deals with gas leaks etc . Boiler failure is a serious emergency in the chilling cold temperatures as there doesnt seem to be hot water any either PLEASE HELP US!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I presume you mean the OVO boiler cover? If so the only number I can find is 24 hour emergency helpline 0330 102 8905 which is at the end of their terms and conditions brochure

Userlevel 7

Yep BPLightlog is spot on @Sop2328 , 0330 102 8905 is the 24/7 OVO Homeplan boiler cover emergency helpline. See the terms and conditions in this PDF file for more info on OVO Homeplan.

Did you get this sorted? 

Hi, we got it all sorted but not with OVO, as i mentioned we dont have boiler cover with OVO, the question was how could they help if we don't have the plan, i was told to just call a local engineer as gas supplier dont help you if you dont have a plan with them

BPLightlog, you misunderstood my question, we do not have the boiler plan....you havent answered my question

Userlevel 2

If you have no cover in place then you will need to call a local engineer to come take a look at your boiler. You can search for one here: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/boiler-engineer/

Thank you Paul for answering my question properly. I have done just that and the service and efficiency of the company we called was fantastic