Solved

Why has someone visited to read my meter - I submit my readings every month?

• 31 August 2022
  • 6 replies

• New Member**
  • 0 replies

I just opened my door to find a man reading my electric meter. When I said I send monthly readings he replied saying they have to do regular safety checks. Is this legitimate?

icon

Best answer by HAL_9000 31 August 2022, 15:20

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Mia ,

It is true that checks do have to be performed from time to time, usually as part of meter reader visits. Did this person say where they were from or who they were visiting on behalf of by any chance?

Updated on 19/10/23 by Abby_OVO

The meter reader checks the readings, and also checks for safety issues i.e. loose wires.   They also check for tampering, like broken seals and meter bypassing etc.

We recently had 3 checks within 2 months, and the reader said it was all of the above, and also, our usage had reduced drastically..    We’ve gone 100% LED on bulbs, and everything on standby is either switched off or put on Alexa activated smart plugs.      We have cut down by almost 40% of what we were using.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks for the assist @HAL_9000 ! :)

We also try to keep an out for those things on this forum as well, especially forum volunteers like myself. If we spot a safety issue (or what we think might be one), we’ll always let you know in the thread.

If however, we spot possible signs of tampering, we have a different way of dealing with that., usually by privately flagging the thread for attention. I don’t think any of us have had to do that for quite some time though (fortunately!). 

Anyone else had a meter reader tonight (6pm) Shillington area ??

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Ellay ,

I see you’ve posted in a few places on the forum. I’m going to answer here to keep things in one place.

I’m afraid it’s unlikely anyone will respond to your question with an answer that helps. Most people only come here to ask specific questions and it’s not very often we get two people from the same area at the same time.

OVO uses a company called Morrison Data Services for this purpose, which is a legitimate company. All their reps carry ID.

Ok Blastoise 186 thanks very much :)