Solved

Why has my Geo In Home Display started showing gas when I have no gas supply?

Show first post

76 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, that’s a Geo Trio II Touchbutton by the looks of things

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In actual fact… It appears to be configured for tracking Exports in this particular case. :)

Badge

And this is what I'm currently seeing, which is frankly annoying

Badge

Just 28-1 right?

It’s not paired properly to the electric meter. You need to get Support to pair the IHD again.

Hi again.  Got support to reset the HAN and when that didn’t work they reset (?) the IHD.  Didn’t work.  Keen to get this sorted as like another commenter I’ve just had solar panels fitted (but not yet commissioned) and I want to be able to track my usage/saving.  Also tried Loop as a way around this but after pairing it claims not to have seen data for 20 days although it has historic data going back 3 months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Resets won’t do anything I’m afraid. The IHD needs to be re-authorised with the meter to fix this.

I have the list of codes from Geo, but it’s under an NDA thing so I can’t reveal exact details.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Cicero234 and thanks for flagging this. 

I’ve shared this with our smart experts and they have advised that they don’t think there’s anything the OVO Support teams can do at the moment, as the issue relates to the smart meter’s communications hub firmware and we're currently investigating this with DCC and GEO.

It would be good if we could have a few more examples to aid their investigation. If any forum members with this issue would be willing to share your details, let me know via a comment below or as a private message.

Thanks!

My smart meter was installed 1st March 2023. I'm an ecotricity customer. The in home device was fine, displaying electricity usage, until 4th March when I noticed the same split screen described by others, with the 'awaiting data' comment in the gas section. There is no gas supply to our house or to our village. I don't know why it changed, I can't change it back, have contacted ecotricity and sent photos but hadn't realised that others have the same issue.

Userlevel 7

I’d be interested if Ecotricity have a similar answer to what I wrote here, @Campanula - keep us updated please! 

I’ve shared this with our smart experts and they have advised that they don’t think there’s anything the OVO Support teams can do at the moment, as the issue relates to the smart meter’s communications hub firmware and we're currently investigating this with DCC and GEO.

It would be good if we could have a few more examples to aid their investigation. If any forum members with this issue would be willing to share your details, let me know via a comment below or as a private message.

I’ve been with OVO since 21st Jan 2023, although the property had been supplied with OVO since before that date, on Monday (27/03/2023) I notice my IHD was showing a GAS section, although the building has no gas and was only showing Electricity before this. Keen to revert this back to the old screen. and happy to support the investigation in any way I can.

Userlevel 1

So from reading this it looks likes its a configuration/technical update that's been rolled out to everyone, regardless of electric only customers. 

As long as the connection to the electricity is fine there are no issues...

The 23-3 error message is related to gas and shows on electric customers IHDs

The message is a confusing one and naturally makes us feel it's the beginning of something sinister, but it does say: connected to the meter network, but not receiving ‘all’ data. The ‘all’ is in relation the the gas functionality. It thinks it should be receiving gas info.

I have the exact parameters as you  @Andrew CS and I have checked my online account and everything seems to be working normally. I have called OVO and they too have said the meter readings are being sent and everything is working normally.  

So yes, looks like we ignore it and treat it like a harmless glitch/bug.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

23-3 is a rather curious code for this situation. It’s actually not what you think it is.

My contact at Geo informed me of exactly what it means, but I can’t share full details. What I can say is that rebooting the IHD might help.

Userlevel 1

23-3 is a rather curious code for this situation. It’s actually not what you think it is.

My contact at Geo informed me of exactly what it means, but I can’t share full details. What I can say is that rebooting the IHD might help.

Unplugging it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup. Unplug and re-plug may help

Userlevel 7
Badge

What I can say is that rebooting the IHD might help.

How you you reboot an IHD? Does the process vary by type of IHD?

Many devices have a reset or restart option, which may or may not be the same as reboot. My 4G modem/router, for example, has a manual reset button and a remote reboot option from its configuration web page. Both of these do more than simply turning the thing off and on again. 

Userlevel 1

Yup. Unplug and re-plug may help

Thank you, will try now 

Userlevel 1

@Blastoise186 can I message you personally please? got some issues with the readings etc. I need some advice. I can't figure it out.

Userlevel 1

What I can say is that rebooting the IHD might help.

How you you reboot an IHD? Does the process vary by type of IHD?

Many devices have a reset or restart option, which may or may not be the same as reboot. My 4G modem/router, for example, has a manual reset button and a remote reboot option from its configuration web page. Both of these do more than simply turning the thing off and on again. 

Not sure, I've been looking on YouTube for my make and model and found some decent tutorials from people who know what they are doing 

Userlevel 2

Well here we are a year on from the problem rearing it's ugly head and still no fix. I get a 29-2 error on the gas icon, in system status.

Userlevel 1

Well here we are a year on from the problem rearing it's ugly head and still no fix. I get a 29-2 error on the gas icon, in system status.

Damn, 1 year still. Maybe it costs a lot to rectify and because it does not hurt anybody, the price to pay to get it fixed is not worth it? Businesses have funny minds like that. I called ovo and talked about my meter etc. even with this error message, it still functions correctly. Could be a universal thing? Gas or no gas, its going to show. So safe to say dont be bothered 😕?

Userlevel 1

Great. But does it impact us negatively? 

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

Has this problem been resolved for anyone?

I have exactly the same 29-1 problem with the IHD suddenly trying to connect to gas when I dont have any gas… it has previously been working fine.

It’s diminished the effectiveness of the IHD as I can’t see the running total on the right hand side at the same time as seeing the today’s figures on the left.

(We’re also with SSE waiting to be moved over to OVO.)

Many thanks
Kevin

Has it negatively impacted your electricity readings etc? 

Are your bills reflecting your true usage? 

We have the same “waiting for data” issue.

we had the engineer commission the smart meter on Monday and all was working fine

after one day the gas was saying “waiting for data” and the screen shot you see shows status code 29-9 which I cannot find in any google search.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

The fact that you can’t find the exact reasoning behind those codes is intentional. You need to be either Geo themselves or an energy supplier to get access to the details… Or be me and have access to BlastoiseLabs infrastructure.

29-9 suggests that something isn’t quite set up right with gas. It may go away, but if it doesn’t please let OVO Support know.

Thanks for the quick reply.

seems very odd to keep these codes for troubleshooting under lock and key. I guess there is a safety aspect to consider, we don’t really want to be tampering with any of the gas or electric kit.

odd that it was working for a day. The annoying thing is they installed this 6 months ago and didn’t commission it. It took that long to send the engineer to get it working. It was fine for a day then the gas drops off.

is this something I could fix with a config setting at the meter or does this genuinely need an engineer. If the later then given the tussle we have had with trying to get them to return which I won’t go into here I think the device is going in the bin and OVO can stuff their smart readings. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Geo doesn’t want the codes being made fully public for multiple reasons. I’m one of the only exemptions they ever granted - and that’s basically because they trust me. But in return, I have to keep the actual documentation locked away myself.

But it’s good enough for me to know what the codes mean and what to do next. You need to get OVO to remote fix this - engineer not required.

Also, please DO NOT bin the IHD. It needs to remain in the property. If you move out and someone else moves in down the road, they’ll need it.