Solved

Usage costs shown on IHD differ from those shown in OVO app or online account?

Costs as shown on my IHD are 15-50% higher those shown in the App. This is so for both gas and electricity and they don’t change in the 8 days for which the IHD provides usage information (i.e. there’s no ‘correction within a few days’ as suggested by the not very helpful Ovo rep).

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 4 August 2022, 22:33

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @BPidg 

I don't work for OVO or have access to your account. I am just a customer. A few of us help out with a few posts if we think we can. 

In case you didn't know

The usage page on the app doesn't include vat or standing charges. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

The IHD includes both standing charges and VAT. 

Does this help explain any of the difference or did you already know this? 

Hope that helps

Thank you for that reply Jeffus.  Having crunched a few examples, that  looks like the reason. Odd that Ovo’s rep  couldn’t tell me.

And thanks for doing the voluntary work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 26/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

The usage page on the app doesn't include vat or standing charges. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

The IHD includes both standing charges and VAT. 

Does this help explain any of the difference or did you already know this? 

Thank you for that reply Jeffus.  Having crunched a few examples, that  looks like the reason. Odd that Ovo’s rep  couldn’t tell me.

And thanks for doing the voluntary work.

@BPidg the other reason is sometimes the tariff info on the actual smart meter is out of date, and hence the IHD. 

If this ever happens ask the Support Team to send the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration

I have an SSE smart meter. Since the start of October I've had a couple of days when it showed the obviously incorrect figure of £40k but since then it has shown approx. 10-20p per day, despite the online records showing up to £3. It's difficult to know how much I can put the heating on if it won't show the correct data. Is this going to fix itself or do I need someone to come out? I've restarted the meter but done nothing else

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Can you show us photos and screenshots please?

This is what I'm seeing right now. I haven't used the boiler yet and not specifically turned anything electrical on but usually it would be showing more like 20+p on the meter by now

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. Try asking the Support Team to run the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration. It should fix this one.

Brilliant, thanks. The support team have done the update. I’ve been advised to leave it unplugged for 24hrs then turn off and on again so hopefully that will work. 🤞

Userlevel 2

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I noticed today quite a difference between the usage on the app compared to the usage on the smart meter. Is the app estimate-based?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Technophobe ,

Usage data is generated by the meter and submitted to your supplier, in this case probably OVO. Other than allowing for adjustments to the gas usage (such as for the calorific value) it’s more or less raw data presented in a pretty format in both the app and MyOVO.

It’s not used for billing purposes - only the meter readings themselves are.

Userlevel 2

Ok, thanks!

Morning 

Can anybody help explain why as of last Thursday our IHD seems to be showing a doubling in usage of expenditure in monetary side of electricity?? 

We are all electric…

Many thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Andysuzy ,

Yup, this sounds like an easy one. Please ask Support to send the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration through. That usually fixes this issue.

Your bills won’t be affected.

Many thanks for the quick reply will try that later on..

Cheers andy 

Good morning

We weren't able to get through yesterday... guessing due to bank Holiday!

I do have another query... I wonder if it will be solved with your original answer??

So as of last Thursday our ihd has been showing that we are using pretty much twice the amount as before! Thursday I since found out was when we were switched over.... from sse!

Also the ihd is also showing heavy usage 3/4 times through the day.... up into the red of the display.... the last time in the day is 21.00 for about 20/25 mins... when there is hardly any demand being used? 

Is this a faulty  meter or an issue that the update should fix?I understand the ihd is only a guide to usage... .  Not sure if while it was sse it was near correct...but at the moment it makes ovo seem very expensive!

Many thanks in advance    Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good morning

We weren't able to get through yesterday... guessing due to bank Holiday!

I do have another query... I wonder if it will be solved with your original answer??

So as of last Thursday our ihd has been showing that we are using pretty much twice the amount as before! Thursday I since found out was when we were switched over.... from sse!

Also the ihd is also showing heavy usage 3/4 times through the day.... up into the red of the display.... the last time in the day is 21.00 for about 20/25 mins... when there is hardly any demand being used? 

Is this a faulty  meter or an issue that the update should fix?I understand the ihd is only a guide to usage... .  Not sure if while it was sse it was near correct...but at the moment it makes ovo seem very expensive!

Many thanks in advance    Andy

Take a look at this page

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

This contains the unit rates and standing charges you will actually be billed, excluding VAT.

Sometimes the rates on the smart meter itself and the IHD can get out of sync but you don't get charged these. 

Userlevel 4

Hey all. Did a quick search and nothing came up so apologies if this has been asked (maybe even by me in an old post LOL). Since having my failed SMETS 1+ meters replaced with. SMETS 2 it seems my gas standing charge isn't reported to the IHD. Either the supplied (way outdated) IHD3 or the IVIE Bud that I bought when my old Pipit decided it didn't like life any more. Seems an odd omission especially since standing charges are often more than the actual gas we use each day so I have to remember to add the 29p to the totals on both IHDs.

Anyone know why the newer gas meters don't report the gas standing charge to the IHDs? Both the Pipit and the Ivie when paired with the older meters included the gas standing charge. The Ivie is particularly odd since you can set the standing charge manually in the app but it still doesn't add it to the gas use on the display 🤷🤷

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The IHD’s get charges from the meter. Mine are the same, no gas standing charge reported on the Chameleon or Glow units. 
They should show standing charges and vat

Userlevel 4

The IHD’s get charges from the meter. Mine are the same, no gas standing charge reported on the Chameleon or Glow units. 
They should show standing charges and vat

Yeah, the IHDs both report the pricing inc. VAT and the electric Standing Charge, but for some reason the 29p gas SC just doesn’t get sent across. Just strikes me as odd. I know there’s an argument that since the SC is there whether you use any fuel or not then it doesn’t really matter since you’re paying it regardless. And I’d be OK with that if the electric SC wasn’t included. But when you just glance at the display you have to remember each time that the total is missing the gas SC. If both were missing I think that would be easier on my brain LOL since I’d know I’m ONLY looking at actual fuel usage.