• 14 September 2021
  • 61 replies
Taking a manual meter reading from a Landis+Gyr E470 smart meter

Show first post

61 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Got it! Thanks! :)

You see that red light on the front of the meter? Is it just completely stuck on and doesn’t flash at all?

it flashes sometimes - I tested it earlier when I put the kettle on and it flashed

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, that’s cool. But is it otherwise just jammed most of the time?

its usually red or flashing. The reading hasn’t changed since May.

Buttons A & B don’t work

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks. Is that the meter reading on the meter itself, or the reading in your online account? Once I know which one is stuck, I’ll know what to try next. This is the last step before I can potentially diagnose the issue!

The one on that meter itself. The smart meter reader in the house doesn’t work for Electricity - just the gas is picked up

online account only has my manual reading and some estimates

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Buttons A & B don’t work

Oh ok, thanks for the info.

In that case, my diagnosis is pretty easy. The electric meter is bricked and has failed. This is unrecoverable I’m afraid and there’s probably no way to repair it without taking it away and sending it back to the manufacturer.

This diagnosis is based on you saying that the A & B buttons don’t work and the meter doesn’t respond to them, combined with the fact you said the display on the meter itself isn’t showing any usage nor clocking up any readings.

You qualify for a faulty meter exchange for free because there’s no way this meter can remain in service in its current state. If you’re with OVO, the best option would be to get in touch via Live Chat here to report the fault. Feel free to give them this link as well, to help save you explaining again: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-136/taking-a-manual-meter-reading-from-a-landis-gyr-e470-smart-meter-9644?postid=57880#post57880

If you’re with another supplier, I can help you locate the right contact details if you’d like me to.

As for the billing? I’m not too sure what can be done in this case. I somehow doubt anyone will be able to get anything useful out of it, let alone the final meter reading. Your supplier will try to figure something out with you, but it may ultimately have to be left to estimates.

With that being said… It may be possible to rebuild the data using future meter readings from the new meter, to try and get somewhat reasonable results out of it.

I have to admit that I’m disappointed to see this type of meter fail after less than two years of service!

Okey dokey - I’ll make contact with Live Chat now - yes with OVO. Thanks for help👍

Userlevel 1

This my smart meter.  I don’t understand it.  When it was fitted, the engineer diddn’t show me how to use it.  I also didn’t ask him how to read it because I thought, foolishly, that because it was a “smart” meter, I wouldn’t need to do anything!

I have recently moved in, had no internet for 12 days and have been away for a week only to find two cards through. Y door asking me to do a meter read.  I thought I had, but obviously I’ve entered what I thought was the meter reading.

Please, please can anyone tell me which butto s to press to find my meter reading?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s an L+G E470 so it’s a bit tricky I’m afraid.

Try pressing the green button just once to light up the display and the meter reading should be in the bottom right corner. If the display goes out you can press the button again to wake it back up.

Userlevel 1

Thanks I did that and got a number!  We’ll see what happens …

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

While you’re here, let’s do a couple more checks. :)

Please run your meters though the tools at https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

This will help to check whether they’re registered properly as smart meters.

You’ll also see two lights above it marked WAN and HAN. What colour are they and how often do they flash please?

While you’re here, let’s do a couple more checks. :)

Please run your meters though the tools at https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

This will help to check whether they’re registered properly as smart meters.

You’ll also see two lights above it marked WAN and HAN. What colour are they and how often do they flash please?

hi Blastoise. you seem to know your stuff so hopefully you can help! i recently moved into a property with a Landis Gyr E470 Type 5424 for electricity. the gas smart meter has shown up on the network but this (electricity) one has not. i don’t have a problem getting readings--they’re always displayed on the screen--but it isn’t being recognised by my IHD or the supplier. 

i’m pretty sure it’s SMETS 2 (it doesn’t seem to have a separate comms box--see attached pic) so i’m not sure why it’s not being found.

further, using the Citizens Advice link you posted above, despite entering my MPAN number and postcode correctly, it says “We can’t find your meter” … 

when entering my MPRN number for electricity it says “Your gas meter's working in smart mode” and that “It’s working in smart mode because you have a second generation meter (SMETS2) that’s on the smart meter data network”

this suggests i’m right in thinking the gas meter is SMETS 2 (can’t think why they’d install a SMETS 2 elec but not gas meter?) but for some reason it’s not being picked up…

any help you can provide is much appreciated! 

Userlevel 7

Lots of great and helpful info there to help us forum lot offer some advice and support, @sonaldo.

That’s a second generation Landis+Gyr smart meter. Based on what you’ve said about the Citizens Advice checker results, I suspect your electricity meter isn’t set up correctly with your supplier, or possibly doesn’t have a ‘wide area network’ (WAN) coverage. Check the light under the WAN label on the comms hub. It should flash 5 times in a row then pause before repeating. 

That’s my thoughts. If you’re an OVO customer, complete the smart meter health check form here to raise it directly to the team. Otherwise @Blastoise186 may have more to offer when he stops by

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Indeed. I can see the electric meter appears to have a HAN signal but I could do with knowing what all five lights SW, WAN, MESH, HAN, and GAS are doing. That’ll help me pin this down a little.

Indeed. I can see the electric meter appears to have a HAN signal but I could do with knowing what all five lights SW, WAN, MESH, HAN, and GAS are doing. That’ll help me pin this down a little.

hi Blastoise. Sorry for late reply. All lights flash except ‘MESH’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, sounds to me then like it’s just not registered properly. If you don’t mind me asking, who is your supplier? You can name them here, we’re cool with it!

Ok, sounds to me then like it’s just not registered properly. If you don’t mind me asking, who is your supplier? You can name them here, we’re cool with it!

thanks Blastoise. the supplier is Shell. i’ve just received this message from them: 

Our Metering Technical team have confirmed that the meter has not been commissioned/decommissioned from previous supplier and the meter is unable to be commissioned or gained by us.

they’re suggesting the only option is to rip out the existing meter and replace it a (presumably identical) one!

Yesterday, an OVO Engineer changed my SMETS1 meter for a SMETS2 as the other one had stopped working. He did an excellent job, but was unable to leave any documentation as how to take Economy 7 and gas readings from it. A Google search hasn’t  yet come across a user guide. Its a Landis + Gyr E470 type 5533. An one got any pointers or a manual for this, please?

Jim

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Naptonian try this guide

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/landis-and-gyr-e470-smart-meters

You will of course need to look at the separate meters to get Elec and Gas readings

Userlevel 2

There are a few manuals here if you type E470 in the search box https://www.smartme.co.uk/documents.html.

OK - thank you for your replies.

It all begs a simple question - I can not understand why the OVO installation engineer was not provided with a simple, 1 page sheet which contained a brief description in plain English as to how the meter works and, more importantly, how to take manual readings to hand over to the customer on completion of the work! The GEO home meter is simple to operate, very useful to see in real time what’s actually happening and it has a full colour leaflet on how to set it up and use it!

Will the Moderator please pass these comments on to whomever in the Company is responsible for “Customer Care” to get some action on this, please?

Naptonian

Userlevel 7

Good feedback this, @Naptonian - I’ll get this passed on for you.