Solved

Smart Meters and EV chargers- No CT clamp with fitted

Show first post

37 replies

Badge

Thanks .. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @AndrewV , presumably you have something like a Solo 3 (or similar) charger? There is an installation guide which explains about the CT clamp https://cdn-www.pod-point.com/PP-D-230027-1-Solo-3-Home-Install-Guide-Web-Dip-Switch-Version.pdf

The charger needs to measure the current flowing which is why one is required. 
Obviously I’m not suggesting this for you to fit but it’s mainly for info. I would have thought the cables connecting the charger to be out of scope for the engineer as they don’t connect straight to the meter

Badge

Many thanks, much appreciated.  Pod Point have been AMAZING … they’ve been incredibly helpful.  I’ve sent a photo of what is now in the meter-box and they have confirmed that the CT Clamp, that they installed and is my property, appears to have been removed.  My charger is actually an ARCH2 model but your Link was very helpful in me seeing what is missing (evidently the same principle applies as per the Solo model).  Pod Point say my Charger won’t work without this CT Clamp, irrespective of what ‘meter’ it is attached to (analog or digital).  OVO have opened a Health & Safety case to come and fix the issue but it will be up to 5-days before I hear when this will be booked.  In the interim,  I’m left without an EV Charger and having to buy petrol instead.  Very frustrating and totally in the opposite direction from where I want to go.  I agree, this should be out of the scope of the OVO Engineer, I wish that he’d left it alone.  If he had, I wouldn’t have had all of the aggravation of trying to get it put back!  Thanks for your help,  it’s been very useful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thinking about it… The cables were probably swapped to comply with current regulations. The colours did get changed sometime between the 1980’s and early 2000’s after all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thinking about it… The cables were probably swapped to comply with current regulations. The colours did get changed sometime between the 1980’s and early 2000’s after all!

The unit connects to the distribution board not the meter directly and so should not be in scope for the engineer to swap. If it was the wiring from the meter to the db, they should have simply unclipped the CT and then re-clipped it back on

Userlevel 7

It sounds like there’s been progress in diagnosing this, @AndrewV. Assuming we’re on the right track, that a CT clamp was removed by the OVO engineer that is necessary for the charger to work, OVO will need to make sure things are put right. Our Support team are on hand. If it takes longer than the time frame you’ve been given, feel free to let us know here so we can get you some help via the forum. 

Badge

Thanks Tim, anything that you can do to help would be much appreciated?  I feel like I am having to ‘self-diagnose’ this, which is definitely sub-optimal (but this community have been great, thanks).  It’s taken me 6-days to get to a point where I now have to wait 5-days for a call-back and I have no idea whether I’ll then need to wait even more time for an Engineer to visit.  I literally have no idea how long this will take.  I keep being told that it’s 17-working-days to book any type of engineering work other than fitting a smart-meter which was available on 24-hours notice.  I now have a health and safety ticket number of ANMR-293.  I’m beginning to wonder whether my charger is now unsafe?  It’s great to be awarded a “has an EV” badge, for this forum, but, ironically, I now can’t use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @AndrewV , hoping you’ll get a quick response. In the meantime, just looking at the wiring again for the charger, I can’t see how the engineer could have removed it completely unless they also worked on your charger - it should be connected directly. 

So my thought was, perhaps the CT is still there but tucked out of the way? Just a thought. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I also have a PodPoint charger. Is this the clamp you’re referring to with the thin black cable ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That looks like the one @juliamc 

Badge

Thanks All, this is very instructive, thanks.  To be honest, though, I’m still at a bit of a loss - mapping theses diagrams to what I can see is a bit beyond me.  It was working and now it isn’t.  Hopefully, I’ll get a call back sometime soon and an Engineer will visit/resolve.  I just wish I could use my car.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Have you got a thin cable alongside the fat electrical cable that goes into the back of the PodPoint @AndrewV ? I thought it was referred to as a Data Cable. Sorry not technical terms. If it’s got a little box thing on the end that’s the boy !!