Solved

Smart Meter not commissioned

New gas and electricity meters installed in London SW15 on Thursday but not commissioned. Phoned OVO on Thursday morning as requested by Lee (the installer) and was told I would be phoned back in 24 hours, but this hasn’t happened. Have tried to fill in the form for smart meter problems on the app and put in the serial numbers but it responds by saying these aren’t recognised and that I should phone. This means waiting until Monday. I am really disappointed by the lack of response to my request which is made worse by my not being able to get through now. The serial numbers are 22L4052307 and G4F22129562200. Please advise on the best way of getting this problem solved.

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 15 April 2023, 08:54

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @hchapman

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you. 

This is a forum where customers try and help each other out. There are no OVO staff here who can access your account. A couple of OVO moderators post generic replies on some but not all threads. 

Be careful about posting serial numbers on a public forum.

The full commissioning of new and replacement smart meters can take 8 weeks so it is very unlikely your meter is anywhere near commissioned. Some will be quicker. 

It is unfortunate this was not made clear at the installation. 

I wouldn't recommend calling on Monday as it is too soon. Keep an eye on your online account over the next few weeks.

There is more information here. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/smart-meter-installation

Feel free to ask any questions and you may find a customer is able to answer them here

Thanks for your reply but it does raise the question of why Ovo told me I’d be phoned in 24 hours and it hasn’t happened. And if I can’t fill in the form and don’t phone on Monday as you suggest, how will the process of getting the gas and electricity meters commissioned be started? Finally, you are right: neither the engineer nor the rep on the phone gave me any idea that it would take eight weeks before I would be able to go back to monitoring my usage. At least Ovo should be prepared to engage with me about the situation. Based on my experience so far I can’t recommend having smart meters installed to other customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please post photos of the meters. I’d like to check something visually.

Thanks for offering to look into this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s five lights above the electric meter, marked SW, WAN, MESH, HAN and GAS. Please tell me which ones light up and how often each one flashes.

WAN flashing all the time.

SW, HAN and GAS flashing together less frequently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks. That’s enough for me to make a diagnosis.

You have a possible WAN failure, meaning there’s no link to DCC right now. This isn’t OVO’s fault, nor that of the engineer.

Please let OVO know about this and they can get someone on it.

Thank you. It’s annoying though, because the engineer said before he started that there wasn’t much of a signal and I asked him not to go ahead if he thought there would be any problems! 

Is it possible for me to read the meters manually? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @hchapman

You can give OVO a link to this thread, it can sometimes help them

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-136/smart-meter-not-commissioned-14750

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you. It’s annoying though, because the engineer said before he started that there wasn’t much of a signal and I asked him not to go ahead if he thought there would be any problems! 

Is it possible for me to read the meters manually? 

This might help for a manual reading

Thanks. Lots of data with each tap of button A (date, time, daily standing charge etc) but no R01 + meter reading, unfortunately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There might be a fix for the signal issues. An SKU2 Comms Hub with a T1 or T2 Aerial might have a better chance of grabbing a signal. OVO can attempt that as one of the fixes. You won’t be charged for it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks. Lots of data with each tap of button A (date, time, daily standing charge etc) but no R01 + meter reading, unfortunately.

Just looking back at your meter images, on the electric side, the display is showing Rate 01 Act Imp which is the reading screen you were looking for (presuming that you don’t have Economy7).

Thank you. I didn’t recognise the figure because I wasn’t expecting it to start again from zero! 

All the lights except mesh are now flashing every 5 seconds, which must be a good sign. This started on Saturday. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you. I didn’t recognise the figure because I wasn’t expecting it to start again from zero! 

All the lights except mesh are now flashing every 5 seconds, which must be a good sign. This started on Saturday. 

Sounds hopeful. It’s worth keeping a check on it. You can see if the readings are getting recorded on your account page and if not it’s worth keeping them updated manually. Just look for Smart, Estimated and Manual against each entry. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

My Geo In House Display will not connect to my meter…

Any ideas folks, says 'Not Commisioned'

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @DannyC ,

Please grab me the status code you see with the error. That’ll help me to give you the right advice.

Userlevel 6

Hey @DannyC 

Did you get this issue sorted?

Hi,

I'm facing an issue with my smart meter. After moving into my property, I requested my energy supplier to replace the prepaid meter left by the previous owner with a standard smart credit meter. They agreed and made the switch. However, it's been nearly six months since installation, and my meters are still not connected to the display unit. Every time I contact them to send an engineer for a fix, they refuse, claiming they're working on resolving it remotely first.

Currently, the LEDs on my electricity meter show SW and WAN normally flashing every 5 seconds, while MESH, HAN, and GAS are inactive. Based on information I've gathered from this forum, it seems my meters are connected to the DCCs. Despite this, whenever I inquire, they insist the commissioning of my meters has failed. I'm unsure what this means.

Even after numerous requests, they finally sent an engineer to my property, but he couldn't assist. He mentioned needing to wait for the supplier to complete the commissioning before connecting to the HAN. Now, they continue to attempt remote commissioning without success and are ignoring my requests to dispatch an engineer.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has advice on troubleshooting my meter fault, I would greatly appreciate your insights. It would be helpful to know the best approach when contacting them again. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @a.n ,

Who is the supplier?

Hi @a.n ,

Who is the supplier?

Thanks for your prompt reply @Blastoise186.

My supplier is EDF, for both account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok. Let me think about this for a bit and I’ll come back to this.

@Blastoise186  Thanks for your great help and considering this for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. As you aren’t with OVO, I can’t use some of the toys we have in our Forum Volunteer Toolkit and Forum_Support won’t be able to help you, but it’s not the end of the world - we have more toys to play with for these cases. :)

Let’s try this one: https://homebrew.n3rgy.com 

Please tell me what Devices are registered and whether there’s any Warnings or Errors. Be careful not to show me any personal info like your address or MPAN/MPRN - we can’t use those here!

This info will help me figure out a diagnosis.

Thanks @Blastoise186 for thinking about my matter. 
Sure. When you ask what devices, if you mean the comma hub or electricity meter, it is a SECURE liberty 101  electricity meter with a WNC ubc-tn6 comma hub ocnnected to it. If you need any further details, please let me know. My gas meter is Landts (if I was right). 
Regarding my Home display I have attached a picture shows you by detail its brand and an error code displaying all the time. 
I hope that helps. 

Regards