Solved

smart meter fault question

Userlevel 1

Hoping someone can help with this smart meter problem.

The little display plug in thing was working fine then suddenly it is only reading gas meter & not the electric meter.

I have tried some suggestions about resetting,but nothing has worked.😒

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 5 July 2023, 13:28

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jamesb27 how far from your actual meter is the IHD (in home display)? Moving it closer might help. 
Sometimes they do drop their connection but often reconnect themselves 

Userlevel 1

well it was about 2 feet from the gas meter & about 10 feet from the electric meter in the bedroom but was working fine,then stopped.

I moved the little meter right next to the electric meter,the gas meter still working fine but the electric meter still not showing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

well it was about 2 feet from the gas meter & about 10 feet from the electric meter in the bedroom but was working fine,then stopped.

I moved the little meter right next to the electric meter,the gas meter still working fine but the electric meter still not showing.

The way the smart meters work is that it’s the electric meter that collects and sends the information. The gas meter links to the electric meter so you need to have the IHD close to the electric meter if you can. 
It won’t immediately reconnect but if you can, leave it close. Switch the power off the IHD for a few minutes then switch it back on. 
Here’s a guide 

Userlevel 1

The IHD has been sat right next to the electric meter all night but still only showing gas reading

Userlevel 1

Maybe i need to talk to OVO support team if they ever answer people.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The best way to talk to them is Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com and it’s recommended to avoid Mondays to dodge the mass rush from things that happen over the weekend.

Userlevel 1

Okay cheers for that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Could you also give https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com a try? It’s kinda still in testing, but when that tool works it sends everything straight to the right team without you otherwise having to lift a finger.

Userlevel 1

Okay cheers

Userlevel 1

Sent all the details to the help centre guys with photos,they will get back to me in 45 DAYS😞

Userlevel 7

Hey @jamesb27,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

What model IHD do you have? We may have a similar topic that’s helpful.

In the meantime you can see you’re usage on the website. 

Userlevel 1

It`s a Chameleon IHD7-CAD-PPMID1.6

Yes i know i can view usage online but much handier with IDH

Userlevel 7

Hey @jamesb27,

The following topics may be helpful:

Userlevel 1

Did all suggestions i have read on here,my wifi works very good here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Did all suggestions i have read on here,my wifi works very good here.

Yes, unfortunately it doesn’t use Wi-Fi to connect to the meters. It uses something called Zigbee which I think is more secure. 

Userlevel 1

Well the gas is working fine on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well the gas is working fine on it.

Hi @jamesb27 

I suspect it is nothing to do with the distance as you are getting gas readings. Obviously impossible for anyone on the forum to know.

Not a lot anyone else can suggest other than waiting for ovo i suspect. I can imagine how annoy the 45 days quoted is.

You could put in an official complaint as ovo only have 8 weeks before you can ask the Ombudsman for help. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

complaints@ovoenergy.com

Obviously can't be certain this will speed things up. 

If you post how you get on i am sure it will help other customers. 

Userlevel 1

Easy option is if i`m not happy is to just move.🤗

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

True, except that if you’re readings aren’t getting through to OVO, it’s likely they aren’t getting through to the data centre and so won’t get to another supplier 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Always an option. But may not solve anything. Depends if you want to switch for other reasons as well. 

I would wait and see what issue is diagnosed i think via OVO. A complaint can sometimes help in my experience to speed things up. 

How long have you had the IHD? They come with 12 months warranty if it turns out that is the issue, although it may well not be that. 

Be interesting to hear what the issue is when you find out. 

Userlevel 1

I can still send my readings manually.

I just joined OVO in april & the IDH was already here,as i just moved in here.it worked for 2-3 weeks with gas & electric,but now just with gas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I doubt the IHD is at fault.

Please provide photos of both meters and the IHD. There’s almost always at least one check I can try.

Userlevel 1

I have sent photos in already,so i will just leave it there now.

Userlevel 7

Hey @jamesb27,

Are you having issues with your smart meters themselves? You mentioned submitting meter readings manually, you shouldn’t have to do this if both meters are in communication with OVO.

Please fill in a smart meter health check:

Userlevel 1

It was showing both meters on the IHD for a few weeks now only showing the gas meter.