Solved

Smart meter display unit - do I have to return it if I leave OVO?

• 24 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Sorry if this is a silly question - I can’t see it asked/answered anywhere else. If I leave Ovo do I have to return the smart meter display (I think this is what’s called the IHD)? 

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 24 March 2023, 16:22

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

No keep the In Home Display for use with your new supplier assuming you are just switching supplier and not moving home.

If you are moving home, you should leave it for the new occupier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just so you’re aware, the IHD also won’t work with any other meters, so please don’t take it with you when you move house as it’ll stop working until it’s brought back to its original home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ex SSEr . This is possibly one of the things many don’t realise - the display (IHD) is paired to the meters in the house and so doesn’t work if you move and take it with you. 
It does continue to work with the same meters with a different supplier though as @Jeffus has mentioned. 

Thanks for the replies - I know when I changed broadband supplier (to SSE actually) I had to return the router - which I didn’t realise until I was asked for £35 for not doing so, I didn’t know if it was the same as with the display thing. But no, I’ll keep it then and see if it continues to do whatever it’s doing with the new supplier 😀.

Thank-you

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

Just to let you know, your broadband service will be leaving SSE in the next few months. You won’t need to do anything, but it won’t be provided by OVO or SSE anymore.

No worries.

Just to let you know, your broadband service will be leaving SSE in the next few months. You won’t need to do anything, but it won’t be provided by OVO or SSE anymore.

Yes, thank-you for the reply - I’ve actually just switched that too because of this - I was going to be moved to TalkTalk - I’d actually switched from TalkTalk to SSE in the first place and didn’t really want to go back. NowTV gave me a very good price and lots of cashback - so I’m with them now.

When I switched from SSE Broadband to NowTV Broadband SSE actually sent a large padded envelope for me to return the router - which was more than TalkTalk did - they just sent me an email asking for money. I wonder what all those SSE branded routers are being used for now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The SSE branded routers will be reprogrammed to work with TalkTalk for anyone who migrates. If you leave instead, you just return it and nothing will happen.

TBH I hate ISP routers for so many reasons, not least because of how much E-Waste it generates. It’s one of the reasons I use my own kit from Ubiquiti instead, because it works with any ISP and I just have to update two settings - broadband username and password - to get it working with a new ISP should I switch. Everything else stays the same.

Ubiquiti is NOT an ISP however, so you can’t buy internet services from them. But if you fancy a decent router, their UniFi Dream Router works great, as does the older UniFi Dream Machine that I have.