Solved

Smart Meter daily totals incorrect

• 14 February 2023
  • 9 replies

Our smart meter (within the app) has been showing a disparity in daily amount of energy used in pounds (£).

Our worst disparity to date was the 11th February 2023. Our hourly usage of gas totalled £1.03p but the daily amount shown was £2.64p.

It cant be a rounding up issue.

I have been told that my standing charge is not applied to this daily amount.

This has happened on a number of days and now we are wondering how much we have been overcharged since we’ve had the smart meter 14 months ago.

We’ve contacted SSE on approximately 6 times, answered by a South African call worker with a huge language barrier and are told every time that the smart meter is “functioning correctly”. We have had no engineer attend to our address.

I have emailed the complaints department via email and the only reply I have had has been from the Ombudsman. 

We feel completely helpless with no-one to contact unless the Ombudsman can help us 

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 14 February 2023, 17:19

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It is worth looking at the reference to meter readings on your account @TimShaw as some may be estimated. The energy total charged is also taken from these readings so it’s important to check for correctness

This is directly from my account. The half hourly pulses do not anywhere near match the apparent daily amount used in kWhs

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

These can still be estimated, especially if you’ve recently swapped as the smart meter takes a while to properly connect to the new system. It’s best to double check the actual meter reads

I can have a look at previous bills and my physical but it won’t be as accurate as an investigation now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I can have a look at previous bills and my physical but it won’t be as accurate as an investigation now 

@TimShaw

It is worth knowing the 30min readings are not added up to make the daily reading

Your meter will send a daily reading. This is used for billing. 

Your meter will also send 30min readings, but sometimes not all the 30min readings get through. So you may find sometimes the 30min readings don't add up to the daily reading.

It happens sometimes for me for my gas meter which is probably not quite close enough to my electricity meter. So my 30min gas readings are not very useful. 

But the issue can be seen for both gas and electricity on some occasions for some customers.

Hope that helps

It can be useful to see what the 3rd party apps see if you haven't already downloaded them as a comparison 

Loop is good as it flags if it is missing readings. 

https://loop.homes/

All these apps are authorised and regulated. You just need to give them permission to access the data on your meters. 

They do use slightly different information on your meter than suppliers, so you have to be careful when making comparisons between these apps and supplier data. 

Are your gas and electric meters located next to each other?

If you post a photo of your gas meter, it may be other regulars on this forum can suggest things to check. 

I only know how the OVO app works, not the SSE one, else i would get you to check a few things.

You may of course already be aware of everything i have posted. 

It may simply be your daily figure is correct and your 30min figures are incomplete. 

I don't work for OVO, i am just an OVO customer. 

Thanks Jeffus. All very helpful 👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks Jeffus. All very helpful 👍🏻

Feel free to ask any follow up questions once you have done any more investigation. 

When you do get migrated to OVO, feel free to pop back and we can highlight a few things on the OVO website that might help at least show what is going on.

There are a few OVO customers who regularly post on this forum and some helpful OVO staff moderators who can signpost useful advice and information. 

My gas has been capped off but my app is showing that I’ve been charged for gas usage. Can’t seem to get in touch with anyone at OVO who makes any sense. Also get cut off on the phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My gas has been capped off but my app is showing that I’ve been charged for gas usage. Can’t seem to get in touch with anyone at OVO who makes any sense. Also get cut off on the phone

Hi @Gayle

Welcome to the forum. 

You get charged for gas usage based on what appears on this page, including estimated readings. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

Here is mine for example. 

Perhaps it is estimates you are seeing which will be sorted out once your supply is re connected and meter readings recommence

What do you see on this page? 

I have a smart meter so i see a daily reading on this page with the word smart next to it

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you.