Should there be more rigorous industry control for smart meters

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Not sure but with all the issues consumers are having with smart meters, of all energy suppliers and not all problems are the fault of energy companies including OVO meters, has it been considered that there must be many faulty meters issued. Is it a case of a more rigorous quality control regime be introduced by the manufacturers?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m sure others will have a better idea than me but being a device used for metrology, each one has to be tested, calibrated and certified. 
I think that possibly the difficulties in some circumstances relating to communication across the smart meter network means that this causes problems. 
We should also remember that the art of connection for the engineer has typically related to electrical connections rather than communications and IT so perhaps more training  is needed in that area

As you say BPLightlog others will have a better idea than me also. It was just a thought that so many problems appear to stem from the meter and nothing to do with OVO. Obviously some faults can be rectified via OVO and yes there are such as you mention network issues. There are definitely technical issues that OVO should not be having to deal with, which if sorted would relieve so much of the pressure both from OVO and their customers. Something they could do without at this time following the influx of SSE users. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don't have any accurate data but anecdotally it seems there are very few problems with the actual meters. Most problems relate to people... Installers and customer service.

When a meter does have a problem it's likely to continue supplying the house so the customer still has gas and electricity while the problem is resolved. Where a meter has communication issues it still works but readings have to be sent manually, and that's often not a fault with the meter but with the location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The government publish quarterly stats from suppliers. This is taken from the publication, including a list of reasons. Across all large suppliers @ Q2 2022, for domestic customers:

Smart (smart mode) and advanced meters 23,857,000

Smart (traditional mode) 3,714,000

Smart meters can temporarily operate in traditional mode for several reasons including:
• customers switching to suppliers currently unable to operate the meter in smart mode,
• meters being unable to communicate via the wide area network at the point of reporting,
• customers having their meter installed in traditional mode,
• installed meters yet to be commissioned (e.g., in new build premises).

SMETS1 meters are being remotely enrolled onto the DCC's national network in order to restore smart services.

OVO may have more detailed stats for their own customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just wondering about this and anyone with a problem with their meters probably thinks they are no good but according to the DCC there are almost 24.5m now in place so even if 0.1% of these are not communicating properly that’s still over 24,000.

As we know, anyone who has one working fine would not normally voice that. 
I did wait myself (for technical reasons) until the second generation were well established but I’ve not had any problems with them so far 🤞🏼 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve had both S1 and S2 kit and yeah, I agree. S2 is a LOT better. Especially because it’s easier to diagnose issues. There’s also THREE different firmware images used on just about every meter. The Application Firmware being the only one that can be modified freely. The Metrology Firmware and Bootloader Firmware never change to ensure integrity, make sure the meter can always boot and also to avoid having to re-certify all the time.

The meter would have to suffer a catastrophic failure in order to disconnect a supply that’s currently in Credit Mode

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just wondering about this and anyone with a problem with their meters probably thinks they are no good but according to the DCC there are almost 24.5m now in place so even if 0.1% of these are not communicating properly that’s still over 24,000.

As we know, anyone who has one working fine would not normally voice that. 
I did wait myself (for technical reasons) until the second generation were well established but I’ve not had any problems with them so far 🤞🏼 

It is a much higher percentage than that current operating in non smart mode for a variety of reasons. Much higher than 0.1% at any snapshot. 

This is the quarterly stats after the ones i posted earlier if anyone is interested 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/smart-meters-in-great-britain-quarterly-update-september-2022

Thankyou all. Whatever the problems with meters that cause undue stress to some users and I am no expert, they do need some attention. I did start reading in the press end of 2022 that “swathes” of smart meter users were complaining about their performance (display stopped, readings not showing, wrong readings). I accept that in relation to the millions of meters performing as intended the number is small but if mine were one it would matter. It does seem however there are issues that stem from the smart meter that cannot be diagnosed and resolved by the user or energy supplier. It is that side that needs attention.

Perhaps there is a forum member who can explain, in layman’s terms, why there are so many meter issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That would be me.

There’s usually no issues with the meters themselves. It’s more likely issues elsewhere such as loss of communications, incorrect setup or supplier-specific issues.

I can concur. Maybe my description of faults "with" the meters had not been thought through. Your input has ironed that out. However I think you must agree there are too many problems that users are unable to sort out, even with help from people like yourself and OVO in this case. Hope least it highlighted some of the concerns. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It sounds like you're talking about problems with IHDs, not smart meters. IHDs are built to a far lower standard than the meters because they're cheap display devices. If your IHD isn't working properly it doesn't affect your usage or billing.

New info..... I am learning all the time. As I don't have smart meters it is good to grab info in case I decide to have them installed. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It sounds like you're talking about problems with IHDs, not smart meters. IHDs are built to a far lower standard than the meters because they're cheap display devices. If your IHD isn't working properly it doesn't affect your usage or billing.

There has been some good government trials around smart meters, IHDs and near real time apps showing usage

A working IHD made more of a difference to people reducing their energy consumption than the apps.

As well as security concerns, this was the major reasons the government decided to continue to mandate IHDs with every new smart meter rather than pursue a transition to mandating suppliers providing near real time apps as another option or instead of IHDs.

Be interesting to see how this evolves with more Time of Use tariffs and time of use control of appliances, EVs, heat pumps etc. We need reliable connectivity to smart meters and reliable broadband i suspect.