Solved

Refused access to meters, and OVO unable to contact the building management

• 14 December 2023
  • 33 replies

Show first post

33 replies

Userlevel 6

Hey @sophwillox 

How did you get on yesterday? Have you been able to make any progress?

Userlevel 1

Hi @Abby_OVO 

My flatmate managed to find proof we did have someone coming out, so OVO are going to pay £30 into our account. 

OVO also told us we’re eligible for a smart meter, however we need to ask permission from our landlord for this (and something tells me they will refuse). So hopefully once we get a smart meter, (and if we can) we can make sure our readings are correct 

Userlevel 7
Badge

… we need to ask permission from our landlord for this (and something tells me they will refuse).

The landlord can’t unreasonably refuse permission according to Ofgem, who set the rules.

Userlevel 1

@Firedog Thank you, my flatmate did speak to them on the phone regarding this and they responded with quite an attitude, even when she outright told them what they’re doing isnt legal 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Since you’re paying the bill, you have full power over the supply/supplies. Landlords can only refuse that permission if they have a VERY good reason. They can’t just refuse because they don’t like them.

Here’s a few examples of reasons you can override and bypass because they’re not valid:

• I don’t like them/I just don’t want them in my property
  • They don’t work
  • They’re not “smart”
  • They mess with people’s health (we’ve countered this one on the Forum MANY times)
  • They don’t work if you change supplier (SMETS2 works with all suppliers)
  • They cost me money to install (they’re free - the supplier covers the job cost)
  • They spy on me (they don’t - and it’s your decision anyway, not the landlord)
  • They’re unreliable (no more so than any other legacy meter)

If you get any others, let us know and we’ll try to advise.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your help @Blastoise186 

We’re going to email them and ask for permission, will refer to this depending on what they say. Fingers crossed this will sort out our issues. 

Thanks again. :) 

Userlevel 6

Hey @sophwillox 

Let us know how you get on. 

You shouldn’t really need their permission at all unless there are something like terms in your tenancy agreement that prevent you from making certain changes, but we also know that it can be easier if they do know about it - just make sure they know it’s your right as the legally responsible party.

Keep us updated with things.🙂

Userlevel 1

@Abby_OVO Thank you Abby, will do.