Solved

Old meters in a very inaccessible place… Is a smart meter exchange possible?

• 27 November 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

These meters are pretty ancient looking. Looks like they need replacing urgently !! Please advise. 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 28 November 2022, 13:18

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Looks like the electric meter is well beyond recertification and definitely needs to be swapped out. I’d also argue the gas meter is due as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Agree… rather concerning notice label on it ! Surprised this hadn’t been picked up by the electrician who rewired the house !!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This shows just how inaccessible the meters are. The house was rewired 5 years ago. Anyone reading the meters or working on them has to crawl up onto the slope - which is concrete covered ground in the undercroft. Meters are actually attached to the front wall of the house (built on a hill !!).

Would this be a straightforward job to replace with smart meters ? They are certainly needed !

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

WOAH! I knew you mentioned they weren’t easy to get at, but I didn’t expect it to be THAT bad!

Umm… That’s going to be a real nightmare to sort out. Might be worth having a Site Survey done prior to booking the upgrade to help pick up on any potential snags.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Right-o. I’ve passed that on, thankfully it’s not my house and it’ll be Octopus’s nightmare !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I guess I’ll go grab some popcorn then. This could be good! :P

I’d love to hear about how they manage to pull off that upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@PeterR1947 could you cast your eye over this tricky situation please ?? What would you suggest ? 

Userlevel 7

Hey @juliamc,

Wow! I think @Blastoise186 is right, a Site Survey would be helpful...

Do keep us updated as to the outcome for customers with similarly inaccessible meters! 

I know that OVO would first request meter photos which would be looked at by our siteworks team. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

A smart meter installation has been booked (for late December) and an email sent to Octopus with the photos by way of ‘managing their expectations’ . We shall see...