Solved

No Smart Meter readings shown on the Online Account since the 1st October?

Show first post

152 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Blastoise186 
You’ll need to check with OVO

I’m sure customer services have quite enough on their hands just now. So long as my meter’s doing what it’s supposed to do, I’m not bothered about not being on the DCC network. The only advantage I can see is that I could use a third-party app to access the data, but I can’t see any need for that unless the same happens again. Since this is the only hiccup in more than five years of sterling service, I’d be surprised if another one cropped up any time soon.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Just to update on my own situation, there has been no progress at all with fixing my missing or incorrect usage numbers from the beginning of the month. However, I did get through on Chat very quickly this morning (#1 in the queue) where Liam confirmed that they have my screenshots and it's with "Technical". Absolutely no timeframe offered for resolution.

Even though OVO is struggling to get my numbers right, yesterday I signed up for the Hugo Energy App and they had all my historic data, perfectly correct, within just moments of completing signup. I do not understand what is taking OVO so long to produce the same (correct) numbers. Nor do I understand why they went wrong in the first place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

These things aren’t always OVO’s fault though. It’s possible the real issue is at another layer beyond OVO’s control.

Userlevel 4
Badge

These things aren’t always OVO’s fault though. It’s possible the real issue is at another layer beyond OVO’s control.

I can't say I'm convinced. Yes, possibly there was a temporary glitch that caused a problem for OVO at a moment in time, but surely their systems are robust enough to retrospectively fix the problems. Put a flag on the system for affected accounts, automatically, and try later.

After all, somebody has designed the system to just make up some numbers in the absence of the correct figures, so why not instead design the system to retrieve the data retrospectively and tidy things up?

Please do not ignore the fact that Bright, Loop and now Hugo are all showing the correct data. Only Ovo is clinging on to their made up numbers. If the third parties are all able to present the facts I do not see an excuse for OVO to perform any less well.

@Blastoise186 

Hello again and thanks for replying. I appreciate your offer of assistance but I don't want to inconvenience you.

Also, apologies for my delayed response. I have attached a photo of my electricity metercbut have removed its identifying numbers from the images. I hope that's sufficient.

Thankfully, Ovo are now collecting Smart daily meter readings for my electricity and gas but the half hourly usage data remains missing.

The Citizens Advice web form continues to return that there's no smart meter at my address, as does the Samsung Smart Things app.

However, I am relieved that the smart meter is at least sending my readings because it's difficult for me to reach. 😊

Perhaps I should try the Play Store apps for half hourly usage data…

As I said, please don't inconvenience yourself on my behalf because the issue is partially resolved.

Thanks again 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries, it’s what I’m here for. So don’t worry, you’re not inconveniencing me!

The next step would be for you to ask OVO to change the Read Schedule to Half-Hourly Readings. That should restore the data feed you’re after. :)

Thanks @Blastoise186 🙏

I'll give it a go 🤞

Userlevel 3

@Tim_OVO thanks for help and advice on here. Interestingly, as soon as my bill for the period 16 Sept until 15 Oct came through, my smart meter readings for electricity has started working again and giving me daily usage numbers, although the usage stats for the days when it stopped working are still not there, but not really an issue in the grand scheme of things.

I will have a look at the Hugo Energy app mentioned by @eezytiger as well though.

They still haven’t updated the tariffs on my account and nor do the tariffs on my IHD match what I’m being billed at, but as you say and also as confirmed in a recent web chat, my account tariffs are not hugely different to the EPG and no I don’t want to move from my fixed contract (ends June 2024) with the reduction of EPG down to April next year!

I’m still awaiting my £66 credit, but by direct debit isn’t due yet so I’m sure that will come through in due course.

Userlevel 3

Hey @eezytiger, how long does Hugo take to fetch data and display something in the app?

Userlevel 4
Badge

@croninsfc  Once I completed signup (with credit card as my IHD could not be scanned successfully) it was just minutes before data showed, possibly sooner. It was there as soon as I checked.

Data is not included for the current day, but is complete up to yesterday and history goes back as far as April. More history is planned to be added in due course.

Userlevel 3

Thanks @eezytiger, mine took a few hours before both gas and electricity were fully synchronised, but now it all looks good.

Even the usage data missing from 6th to 18th October for my electricity, is there in Hugo.

Also being able to put the correct tariff information into the Hugo app, makes the IHD a bit irrelevant seeing as it (the IHD) doesn’t match with the tariff information on my account

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Tim_OVO @Emmanuelle_OVO @Blastoise186 

Well here we are on 25th October and still my missing and fantasy usage figures from the beginning of the month have not been corrected. This is despite two successful contacts through online chat and numerous messages in the forums. Last week I raised a complaint. Other than a "success" message when filing the complaint form I have had no acknowledgement, no copy of my complaint wording and, still nothing fixed. 

What am I supposed to do next? Perhaps more relevant - why isn't OVO doing anything?

For each day without a meter reading there is, often, an adjacent day with made up usage numbers as the totals have been estimated and apportioned as guesses rather than as facts. So much for 30 minute metering. Now it's become 48 hour metering.

Userlevel 7

Hi @eezytiger and thanks for the update. 

Please know that your posts here on the OVO Forum won’t prompt a response from OVO’s support team on its own. The complaint email you’ve sent will though. I’m aware of exceptionally high volumes of contact to our Support team this month with government EPG and EBSS initiatives prompting heaps of contact. Please give them time to get to your complaint. 

These usage pages are intended as a guide. Your billing is based on meter readings sent from the meter’s comms hub and both can be seen here:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings 

Userlevel 1

Has everyone got their readings working again? Mine stopped on the 3rd of November and haven't gone back to normal. OVO is now doing estimated readings which are higher than actual.

I reached out to support a couple of days ago and provided the meter health check details as well, but not heard back.

Userlevel 4
Badge

My readings have been working as expected from 4th October onwards.

However, my account continues to show wrong figures from 30th September to 3rd October. So, two months on from the problem and it's still not fixed.

Last contact with support was on 7th November, as below.…

Why is it that three third party apps can all show the correct data, but OVO cannot? Why is it taking two months and counting to fix?

Userlevel 7

Hey @rasikajay,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community, 

How did you complete the smart meter health check? Was it through this online form

It might be worth reaching out to Support if you’d like confirmation it’s been received. 

Userlevel 1

Hey @Emmanuelle_OVO ,

I first spoke to someone through web chat, then they emailed me questions, which I think are the same as the form. This was last week.

I then saw this post yesterday and filled out the form mentioned here. I got a call from OVO almost within 10 minutes, saying they'd send an engineer in mid January…

Userlevel 1

Hey @Emmanuelle_OVO ,

I first spoke to someone through web chat, then they emailed me questions, which I think are the same as the form. This was last week.

I then saw this post yesterday and filled out the form mentioned here. I got a call from OVO almost within 10 minutes, saying they'd send an engineer in mid January…

An update on this. 

Our of curiosity, I signed up for the Hugo app, but there was no data there either. I did however get a response from Hugo support saying that my meter software is out of date? @Tim_OVO @Emmanuelle_OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Could you post photos of the meter(s) real quick? If I can identify what you have, it might help solve the puzzle.

Userlevel 1

Sure, I believe I have a SMETS 2 meter, which was installed a couple of months ago this year.

See picture attached. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ha. SMETS2 Aclara. This should be a breeze then.

OVO simply needs to issue the right SMETS Commands to deploy the latest available firmware image to it. I’d recommend having a chat with the Support Team to put that request in.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I’ve seen a few examples of this smart meter drop off around the time the prices change. 

The good news is that for those affected, the sending of smart meter data to the online account resumed and updated any historical usage that’s missing. The smart meter comms hub stores this info for several months. 

For anyone else who’s unsure if they’re affected, you can diagnose meter-side communication issues here:

Lastly, if your smart meter hasn’t sent us readings for 5 days or more, it will let you submit them manually via the online account

@Tim_OVO  & @Emmanuelle_OVO  Change of tariff on the 1st Jan! 

Again no meter readings showing for either elec or gas in my online account.

Tom…

Userlevel 4
Badge

@TomThumb Exactly the same for me. No meter readings for gas or electricity on 1st Jan and thus no half hourly usage data for 31st December.

I am still waiting for support to correct my figures for 30/9-02/10, where readings were missed and have still not been corrected properly.

Userlevel 7

Hi everyone,

I am aware of smart meter customers not having meter readings for the 31st. If I hear any updates on this I will update this topic. In the past this has corrected itself. 

@TomThumb forgive me for missing this, but the screenshot you sent does show smart meter readings…?

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Tim_OVO