Solved

My smart meter couldn't be installed because of an earth cable - Why?

Show first post

55 replies

Userlevel 1

@Transparent had the earth bond been [only] on the output side of the gas meter it would not be per regulations; or, indeed if not connected to the gas pipework at all. :thinking:

Does it mean if I have an earth bond to the existing gas meter then OVO will not fit a smart meter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi there @DJC ,

Sorry we missed you earlier. I had to do a bit of digging through the forum archives to find the answer, which was posted over two years ago and buried pretty deeply.

It is still possible for OVO to upgrade your gas meter, but you’ll need to have an electrician take care of that wire first.

If you’d like some more details on what to do next, you can find a more detailed explanation above. 

If you’re still unsure though or need any more help, feel free to stop by again and let us know. We’ll be happy to assist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

No, @DJC - you must have an earth bond for your gas supply.

There are some circumstances where an existing earth wire is positioned such that it’s in the way of a modification to the pipes. If that’s the case, then the OVO Installer will tell you what’s required.

You can then hire a local electrician to reposition the earth wire, and check its integrity! That’s important because it actually has to work.

Once done, the Installer will return to your site, modify the pipes and fit the gas meter.

In the great majority of cases there is no pipe modification to do…. so the issue of the wire being in the way wouldn’t occur anyway.

Thank you for the reply. I think I will get the smart meter fitted first before I get the earth bond wire fitted, then I will not have to pay for a double visit.