Solved

My smart gas meter isn't communicating with OVO anymore - no readings - why?

Show first post

110 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Blastoise, didn't know that was a separate box - in my setup it's installed tight up against the elec meter and is the exact same width, so it looks like one!

Out of curiosity I tried the link you posted. It failed at the first hurdle - didn't recognise my postcode. Good job I have a working system ( currently...) 😁

Worth double checking your account number and post code on this page

https://account.ovoenergy.com/profile

Sorry for the delay, I have been working away .

I have submitted the https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com/  and hope this works

Thanks for everyone's advice 

I'm on the variable plan with a direct debit. I never got any email/mail saying there were no readings and just noticed today. I live alone. My bill is usually around £100 - £150 but my bill for January was £475 and February was £257. I was on Holiday for those months with the heating turned off so I’m not sure how it was worked out. I tried to put in a manual reading but the meter display was blank. There is someone coming to fix the meter next week but I’m still worried about the bills.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Sean5 ,

Don’t panic there - OVO will try to figure out what the bills should have been as best they can, by using the readings from the replacement meter. It might not be 100% perfect, but they’ll do their best to get it as close as possible.

This data will be used to re-bill you and if appropriate, trigger a refund or account credit.

Hi @Sean5 ,

Don’t panic there - OVO will try to figure out what the bills should have been as best they can, by using the readings from the replacement meter. It might not be 100% perfect, but they’ll do their best to get it as close as possible.

This data will be used to re-bill you and if appropriate, trigger a refund or account credit.

Thank you! That gives me hope!

Userlevel 2

Hi @Sean5

I’m sorry to hear this.

I can see that our forum volunteer Blastoise186 has already given some great advice here. Just to add to this, in the event that a meter screen fault occurs on a non-communicating meter we may need to estimate your usage or recalculate your charges once the meter is replaced. Typically, your previous usage would be used to help estimate what may have been used during the time that the meter stopped sending readings. Our Billing team should be in touch with you once we’ve been able to bill your account properly.

This thread may also be helpful:

Hi @Sean5

I’m sorry to hear this.

I can see that our forum volunteer Blastoise186 has already given some great advice here. Just to add to this, in the event that a meter screen fault occurs on a non-communicating meter we may need to estimate your usage or recalculate your charges once the meter is replaced. Typically, your previous usage would be used to help estimate what may have been used during the time that the meter stopped sending readings. Our Billing team should be in touch with you once we’ve been able to bill your account properly.

This thread may also be helpful:

Thank you. There is an engineer coming next week to look at the meter. I’ve tried “waking” it up, to no avail, and combined with the lack of smart readings I had to assume it was dead. The meter looks fairly old though, the date it was installed has long faded.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Got some photos for me? I can try to help with that.

Got some photos for me? I can try to help with that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks. I see it was actually SSE Metering who own the meter - SSE Plc sold them off to SMS if memory serves.

Looks like a 2015 SMETS1 install to me, it’s definitely one that was manufactured in 2015, that much I can definitely confirm. Best guess? The battery is probably dead due to age.