Solved

Metering modes at OVO - has it been changed by mistake

• 26 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of how a smart meter gets set from PAYM to PAYG? 

I had new meters installed due to connectivity issues (SMETS 1 to SMETS2) and move to credit account at our request due to no end of issues on pre-pay (legacy from when we moved in).

The initial set up (January 2023) saw switches of the new meters from credit mode to prepayment resulting in cut offs. I thought this was resolved until this weekend (24 June) when we experienced an entire weekend (and still) off gas supply.

Question: how do the modes of the meters get changed? I have a vague understanding of telemetry systems, but can't fathom why switching from credit to prepayment would occur as a system setting in this instance. Can the modes only be changed by a person?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 26 June 2023, 10:04

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Emmywoo ,

It’s done by something called SMETS Commands. There’s two ways for this to happen (as in the command itself):

1. It’s issued automatically by the supplier systems
  2. It’s issued manually by someone at the supplier who has the right permissions

If you’re on PAYG by mistake, this can easily be fixed. Have a chat with Support via https://help.ovoenergy.com and they can flip the meters back to PAYM for you. They can also re-arm the supply so you can turn it back on. However, for safety reasons you’ll need to re-enable your supply yourself. OVO can’t do this because they won’t know if it’s safe so the SMETS Command that re-enables a supply puts in into a state where it’s allowed to be re-enabled by the customer. All you then need to do is follow the instructions on the meter itself to confirm enabling the supply when you’re ready.

You can also ask to be moved to PAYM in the same chat.

So they admitted it was done in error by someone at Boost (previous awful supplier). 2 days off gas because someone went pressing buttons. A company I have no contract with anymore.

I’ve also been told that no compensation is due because it wasn’t a DNO issue. 

How is it that your supplier can make a mistake that leaves you off supply and you not be entitled to compensation? Honestly, the energy industry is a joke. I used to work in water and they would bend over backwards to help. 

Cannot wait to change supplier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Being ‘not a DNO’ issue shouldn’t affect compensation @Emmywoo. From what I can see, according to Ofgem, the gaining supplier in any switch needs to pay compensation for failures in time or action. 
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/supplier-guaranteed-standards-performance-switching-second-phase-final-decision-and-statutory-instrument

OVO also lay out when compensation can occur 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/guaranteed-standard-of-performance-gsop

@BPLightlog  This is what I thought to, but the GSOP is very specific.

OFGEM states Distribution company and not supplier, and Ovo doesn’t have a GSOP which my cut off would come under. Ovo don’t have a GSOP for when they cut off a customer supply that was their fault, it’s incredible. 

Edit: I may have to do more digging on the Ofgem site for supplier specific compensation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You won't find a supplier that does have that. They all have the same GSoP rules 

It just seems odd to me that they can basically get away with leaving customers off supply.