Solved

L+G E470 smets 1 or 2?

Can anybody identify this L+G E470 5236J-Y? Is it smets 1 or 2 and as there is no comms hub is it fair to say it is not connected or is the comms hub built in?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 4 May 2023, 19:20

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Manual here

https://www.smartme.co.uk/documents/5236UserManualVersion1_8.pdf

in particular it says 

Thanks for that. Looks like it is a smets 1, given that it was installed in 2012. It also has an inbuilt GSM modem. The unit is not connected to a network and not sure how one gets that done. It is also strange that other models of the E470 (smets 1 and 2) are shown with separate and clearly evident comms hubs. It is all a bit of a mystery that I wish I could unravel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not sure what this was for but I see continued research into GSM modem and smart meters designed to allow direct connection via mobile apps. 
The UK’s move to use a more secure network might have precluded its wider use

You may well be on to something, Think I’ll give up and find a supplier who will swap it out for a smets2

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

While you’re here @ColinG …

Can I use your image for my L+G guide? This is the first time we’ve seen that particular E470 variant and I’d like to document it so that we can cover this edge case. I like to ask permission first where possible!

My current guide is at this thread if you’d like to take a look.

But yeah, I can confirm it’s neither SMETS1 or SMETS2 . It looks like one of those legacy pre-SMETS era units for definite, back when it really was a wild west! And you can probably see once again why we hate the naming conventions of Landis+Gyr...

Please do. The image degrades a bit when posted so I could send you a better copy if you wish. If you find out how to access the exported electricity register please let me know. Its currently got me beat :-)

The unit was installed in 2012 in what was then a newbuild. It certainly connects to  a network (the signal strength indicator is there).

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks! If you send it over to forum@ovoenergy.com the forum moderators can get it over to me. They can also edit my post, so they can upload directly too. :)

In return, sure thing. I’ll try to do some research into that for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok I’m back. Unfortunately, I can hardly find anything on this meter or any like it. Seems no-one really documented that pre-SMETS version. But there’s one more thing I can try…

Bear with me, I might be able to ask for help on this one.

Thanks! I did try going direct to L+G but they “helpfully” told me they only talk to installers and not the end user -I should take the question to my supplier therefore!.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah, I’ve tried that before. I even tried the “I’m a forum volunteer who helps other people out” trick which usually works, but they still turned me away.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That reminds me actually.

I managed to dig up something. Apparently you just have to button mash that thing until it eventually spits out an export reading. Try the same instructions as for any other E470 first.