Solved

In-Home Display not showing my gas usage.

• 3 November 2023
  • 32 replies

So my electric is with OVO who recently just upgraded my smart meter to a SMETS2 meter with a IHD 3. My gas is with British Gas who installed a SMET2 smart gas meter. 

I was told by both engineers who installed these meters that I'll be able to see live usage on my in home display with both of these meters. However, my gas usage is not showing up on my in-home display and it's been 3 days since installation. 

I spoke to someone from OVO who was determined that two different suppliers can't be showing on one in home display. 

I spoke to British gas and they're telling me to wait and the usage will show up on my IHD 3. 

Apparently my gas smart meter is communicating with my electric meter because the gas light on the SMETS2 meter flashes and flashes every 5 secs. 

Why will my gas usage not show up on my IHD and isit even possible to do so? 

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 3 November 2023, 00:28

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please post photos of everything just in case.

Would it even be safe to take pictures of my devices and meters with maybe sensitive serial numbers? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Those Serial Numbers are useless to anyone on this Forum - they’re only useful to an energy supplier like OVO or someone in the industry who already has access to basically the entire national meter databases anyway.

I cannot use them to identify you. It’s the MPAN/MPRN that I’m more concerned about folks leaking - and those are never printed on the meter or IHD. With the MPxN, I could potentially identify you - but we have a strict rule on this Forum that accidental MPxN leaks are taken down on-sight.

Okay thanks 👍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice. I don’t see a huge number of SKU7 Comms Hubs. :)

That should eliminate range issues and your entire setup is fully supplier-agnostic.

My suspicion is that British Gas just needs to Authorise the IHD to connect to the Gas Meter (or GSME if you want to be fancy) as it’s all clearly on the same Home Area Network. There’s nothing that OVO needs to do in this case.

I got this info from an IHD manufacturer a couple of years ago and this happens to be a tip they shared with me at the time.

Funny that.. I spoke to British Gas and they told me as OVO provided the IHD & the Electric smart meter, they'll be able to Authorise a connection, hence why I landed here. 

So get back in contact with British Gas and tell them to Authorise my IHD to connect to the Gas Meter? 

By the way isit even possible to have two different suppliers for electric/gas on one IHD? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yes. It should be their job IIRC. That’s the whole point of the system being supplier-agnostic.

OVO cannot access the gas meter unless OVO is the active supplier for it.

Thanks for the information!! 👍🙂

Yes. It should be their job IIRC. That’s the whole point of the system being supplier-agnostic.

OVO cannot access the gas meter unless OVO is the active supplier for it.

UPDATE: 

Both companies now telling me it's not possible because I don't have duel fuel with either of them. 

Seems weird because it's all on the same network and working. Just the IHD won't pick up my gas usage. I genuinely thought having both meters upgraded will give me live usage on one In-home Display. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmmm…

Bear with me, I’m sending this thread backstage to get some more advice.

Back in a bit!

No worries... I appreciate you even helping me. Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just so you know, we’re still discussing this backstage. Please bear with us as this may take until Monday or Tuesday to figure out.

That's absolutely fine. I really do appreciate your efforts in getting to the bottom of this. 

But, what confuses me is that if I was to switch and go duel fuel with either company, my equipment stays the same and magically I get live readings of both fuels on my IHD? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’d almost certainly work.

However, the equipment is MEANT to be supplier-agnostic and it shouldn’t matter if you’re using two different suppliers...

That's exactly what I thought.

However, please do keep me updated! 👍😁

@Blastoise186 is this correct? 

But, I thought my gas meter is already communicating with my electric meter anyway? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That agent speaks the truth. OVO does not hold the encryption keys for your gas meter unless OVO is the active gas supplier for your property. However, information that I have suggests it IS possible for the IHD to deal with two different suppliers at once.

I received useful information some time ago from an industry contact who wishes to remain anonymous. To this day, I respect their request for anonymity so I hope you can understand that. But I feel it’s appropriate to give you the information I have in my archives.

According to my contact, the gas supplier (British Gas in your case) just needs to run SR 8.7.2 against your Gas Proxy/Gas Meter/GPF to Authorise the IHD to get information from the Gas Proxy/Gas Meter. That should do the trick - but only the active GAS supplier can do it.

Okay understood. 

I'll take this to my gas supplier and see what happens. I really appreciate your help and information to my situation. 

Thank you!! 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Technically, I’m not really meant to tell you that information because it often isn’t useful to the community here. But sometimes needs must and this feels like one of those cases.

Yeah I appreciate you giving this information. I'm really desperate to be able to see my gas usage on my IHD in order to save money and keep some heating on in these trying times. That's why I got both of my meters upgraded thinking this would be possible. 

Is there any easy way of putting this forward to British Gas when I contact them tomorrow? I doubt anyone I speak to tomorrow will have a clue in running a SR 8.7.2 against my Gas Proxy/Gas Meter/GPF. 

Shall I still keep this thread updated in what happens? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not really possible to tone down the tech details I’m afraid, unless you take out critical info. Try giving them a link to this thread, that sometimes works.

And sure, feel free to keep us posted! It might help others who run into this situation.

UPDATE:

British gas are adamant that it's OVO's problem as they didn't install the meter that links to in home display. 

At this point I believe it's just a lost cause and I'd probably have to go duel fuel with either company in order to get both readings on my IHD. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sigh… Even when you spoonfeed it to these places… They still don’t get it…

Yeah, I’m afraid going duel-fuel is your best bet in that case - and tbh it does make account management much easier.

What would be easier to move? 

I'm guessing switching gas would be easier? 

Or doesn't matter? 

If I'm to switch to one company I rather go with what's more easy.