Solved

IHD6 resets itself continually every 1 minute 14 seconds. How to fix?

• 29 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
  • Carbon Cutter*****
  • 11 replies

My IHD6 unit no longer functions. So far as I can tell it is physically undamaged. It is plugged in, with a full battery, and visually appears to be trying to work, but it resets/reboots every 1 minute 14 seconds, in a continual cycle. This started suddenly sometime in mid December 2023, perhaps 15th or thereabouts.

Has anybody else had this problem?

On the second email attempt, I got a response from OVO by email and the lady has said to me “what I did was request that your IHD's firmware be refreshed, which can hopefully get your IHD fully smart and operational. The firmware update should fix your IHD's display in the next 48 hours, in the meantime, please put the device as close to your electricity meter as possible. After 48 hours, can you please switch off your IHD and turn it back on again?”

I have done this and I wait and see, but I am sceptical it will work because the IHD6 is not on long enough between resets for the connection with the meter (top left hand of screen) to stop flashing. It flashes 4 bars but never gets time to stop flashing in the 1 minute 14 seconds before it reboots. At the meter both WAN and HAN green LEDs are flashing once every 5 secs as they should. The IHD6 is 2 metres from the meter just now.

According to the IHD6 guide there are 2 types of IHD6, but mine is neither:

There are 2 types of IHD6. The newer models have a temperature sensor and CAD functionality, but the older one doesn’t. To find out which one you have:

• Look on the screen to see if there’s a temperature displayed in celsius to the left of the battery power symbol.

• If your IHD6 has a temperature sensor, it will have a Model ID underneath reading CA6020102. If it doesn’t have a temperature sensor, it will have the ID of A6020100.

I do NOT have the temperature displayed, but I DO seem to have the CAD pair option. The mode ID is neither CA6020102 nor A6020100 as suggested in the troubleshooting guideit is CA5020002. I am wondering if I have a meter that is no longer supported as it is an ?in between? model?. Maybe some firmware update has been pushed out on ?15 December 2023? that is incompatible with it, and has broken it?

When the unit boots up it shows a an address (XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX) and then “Software Version 1.4”

I did just try (for the first time ever) to connect to WiFi. I just managed to complete this before 1 minute 14 seconds elapsed, and the unit now, every boot cycle, does connect to my WiFi, but soon after, the 1 minute 14 seconds elapses and the IHD6 resets itself again.

I can TRY to pair the CAD to my account, but this says “waiting” and does not complete before the 1 minute 14 secs elapses and the unit resets itself.

icon

Best answer by ajr 29 December 2023, 16:33

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @ajr ,

You’ll need to work with OVO on this one. There’s no solutions we can do from here.

Userlevel 2

Updated on 09/01/23 by Abby_OVO

Well I have to admit, after getting that email earlier this morning from OVO saying “IHD's firmware be refreshed” and doing what the lady asked, even though I was sceptical, it seems to have worked! Sometime between 3 and 4 hours after leaving it 2 metres from the meter, is seems to have revived itself.

So if anyone else has the “constantly resetting” problem, you need to ask OVO to trigger a refresh of the firmware on your IHD6, it seems.

If you’re also experiencing a similar issue with the same IHD model, please get in touch with the Support Team who can help fix this issue. 

For any other IHD issues and troubleshooting, check out these handy topics below: