Solved

IHD showing £0 for gas?

• 30 November 2023
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 2

Got up this morning to find my smart meter gas reading was not showing.  Heating been on all day but total on IHD is zero.  Checked readings on my account but also no readings.  Electricity is fine.  Will this fix itself or do I have to contact Ovo?

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 13 December 2023, 17:51

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Scotia121 , there can be drop outs of data showing but it all depends on the actual issue. From what I’ve seen, possibly due to heavy demands on the data needed for the energy saving sessions recently, the central hub (DCC) can get overwhelmed by data requests from a variety of sources. 
I've no idea how long you’ve had the set up but it’s probably worth just keeping an eye on it and if it doesn’t correct itself, posting a manual reading to keep things in line. 
Other than that, after some time, let customer service know for them to check your account. 
Although you mention that electricity usage is ok, both gas and electricity usage gets sent via the same system

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Give it a bit of time.

I do get dropouts from my gas meter sometimes.

Mine is probably a little bit too far from my electricity meter.

As you say the IHD and your account are not showing a reading it does sound like an issue with the gas meter in some way rather than simply the DCC.

Worth looking at the gas meter itself to see if it is still alive.

If it was just your ovo account I would have suggested seeing if the data appeared on one of the 3rd party apps

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

How far apart are your meters?

Did you have a faulty gas meter replaced in the past?

Userlevel 2

Give it a bit of time.

I do get dropouts from my gas meter sometimes.

Mine is probably a little bit too far from my electricity meter.

As you say the IHD and your account are not showing a reading it does sound like an issue with the gas meter in some way rather than simply the DCC.

Worth looking at the gas meter itself to see if it is still alive.

If it was just your ovo account I would have suggested seeing if the data appeared on one of the 3rd party apps

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

How far apart are your meters?

Did you have a faulty gas meter replaced in the past?

I did go out, in the Baltic weather I may add😁 and checked the meter.  It's not dead. Got a reading and it said it was active.  Already had a stone dead meter this year which after months of shilly shallying by Ovo and input from the Ombudsman,  was eventually replaced.  Since then been fine.  Also checked electricity meter and the WAN and HAN light are flashing green so assume they are okay. Hopefully just a glitch. 

Meters are quite far apart with gas one on an outside wall quite a bit away from the electricity meter inside very near the IHD.  

I didn't know about third party apps so will have a look at that.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Also checked electricity meter and the WAN and HAN light are flashing green so assume they are okay.

Is there a light labelled GAS? What’s it doing?

Technical information on SMETS 2 Smart Metering - The full story

Userlevel 2

Also checked electricity meter and the WAN and HAN light are flashing green so assume they are okay.

Is there a light labelled GAS? What’s it doing?

Technical information on SMETS 2 Smart Metering - The full story

Can't see one labelled gas.  

Userlevel 2

To be clear.   This gas meter was only installed this year after the previous one had multiple problems and eventually went dead after only 10 months.  I have had no issues since then until today.

Userlevel 2

So this morning reading still at zero. I'll go out shortly and check it again to make sure it's still active.  Do I now contact Ovo? Jeezo these meters have been nothing but a pain since they were installed.   

Userlevel 7

Hey @Scotia121,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Hopefully the meter regains communications, if not, the following topics may be helpful to you:

Got up this morning to find my smart meter gas reading was not showing.  Heating been on all day but total on IHD is zero.  Checked readings on my account but also no readings.  Electricity is fine.  Will this fix itself or do I have to contact Ovo?

I am having exactly the same issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So this morning reading still at zero. I'll go out shortly and check it again to make sure it's still active.  Do I now contact Ovo? Jeezo these meters have been nothing but a pain since they were installed.   

Are you still having an issue @Scotia121 ?

Userlevel 2

Well rang Ovo last week.  The guy on the phone went off and did something and assured me it would start communicating within 24-48 hours.  It didn't.   Rang them again yesterday and was told I would have to wait 31 days before they could book someone to come out and look at it.  This was a replacement meter just this year as the previous one lasted barely 10 months before dying completely.   After numerous failed appointments I had to get the Ombudsman involved so I have zero confidence that any appointment will be honoured.   I was also told yesterday that it would probably reset itself.  I doubt very much that will happen.  So despite having a "smart" meter it's back to manual readings.  

Userlevel 2

Are you still having an issue @Scotia121 ?

Yes.  See my comment below Jeffus.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well rang Ovo last week.  The guy on the phone went off and did something and assured me it would start communicating within 24-48 hours.  It didn't.   Rang them again yesterday and was told I would have to wait 31 days before they could book someone to come out and look at it.  This was a replacement meter just this year as the previous one lasted barely 10 months before dying completely.   After numerous failed appointments I had to get the Ombudsman involved so I have zero confidence that any appointment will be honoured.   I was also told yesterday that it would probably reset itself.  I doubt very much that will happen.  So despite having a "smart" meter it's back to manual readings.  

Am not surprised.

There have been a few posters commenting on appointments only being available for next year since November.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Scotia121,

First off the smart metering team will attempt to fix the issues with the smart meter remotely, if they’re unable to do so, the engineer appointment will go ahead. 

Userlevel 2

Hey @Scotia121,

First off the smart metering team will attempt to fix the issues with the smart meter remotely, if they’re unable to do so, the engineer appointment will go ahead. 

Went out to get a meter reading.  Back inside I see that the meter info button on the IHD is actually recording the reading.  It was the same as the reading on the outside meter.  Logged into Ovo account and I see they had readings starting  from 11th December.  All well and good.  However, the IHD is still showing zero!  I have no idea what this means.  Is there a quick fix?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If your readings are getting through things sound like they’re becoming more normal. Which bit is still showing zero? For electric, gas, both?

Which IHD do you have ? 

Userlevel 2

If your readings are getting through things sound like they’re becoming more normal. Which bit is still showing zero? For electric, gas, both?

Which IHD do you have ? 

Electric has never been an issue.  It's always worked fine.  Not sure which IHD but think it is 2nd generation.  Couple of pics to what it's showing. 

Userlevel 2

Which IHD do you have ? 

Electric has never been an issue.  It's always worked fine.  Not sure which IHD but think it is 2nd generation.  Couple of pics to what it's showing. 

So I can see the readings in that part but not the costs on the home screen.  Sorry second pic a bit blurry.  This is a clearer one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Scotia121 

As it looks like gas readings may be getting to your IHD 

Try asking ovo to issue the SMETS command Update Tariff Configuration.

This should force a refresh of the tariff data on the smart meter and IHD.

Just remember the gas readings on your IHD get update every 30min at best unlike electricity which is circa 10 seconds. You may already know that of course.

You could look at this page to check if ovo are getting 30min data

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=daily&unit=kwh

There is a user guide for your device in case it is useful 

https://www.ovobyus.com/m/2aa24b603326973d/original/1588ovo-ihdguide2020-11-11digital.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok - just to delve a little further, in the menu, can you see costs for both electric and gas?

Userlevel 2

Hi @Scotia121 

Just remember the gas readings on your IHD get update every 30min at best unlike electricity which is circa 10 seconds. You may already know that of course.

https://www.ovobyus.com/m/2aa24b603326973d/original/1588ovo-ihdguide2020-11-11digital.pdf

Yes it is sending readings every 30 mins.  

Hi @Scotia121 

Yes it is sending 30 min readings.  I'll ring them tomorrow and ask them to run the command you have suggested.  Thank you for your help.  Will keep you posted how I go.  

Userlevel 2

Ok - just to delve a little further, in the menu, can you see costs for both electric and gas?

No I can't see costs on IHD.  I can on Ovo app though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No I can't see costs on IHD.  I can on Ovo app though.

Ok, so as indicated by Jeffus, the tariff (cost) appears to be missing so the device doesn’t know how to count the cost for the gas. That command update should push that through (your OVO app already has costs associated with it)

Userlevel 2

Well the IHD has started showing cost amount for gas this morning so it seems to have righted itself now.  Thank you everyone for your help.  Much appreciated. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Scotia121 

Glad to hear the IHD has sorted itself out now.

If there’s anything we can ever do in the future, always feel free to reach out on the Forum.🙂