Solved

SMETS1 and Solar Panels- Do I need SMETS2?

• 16 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi. I’m getting Solar panels and batteries installed next month. The installers recommend that I get a SMETS2 smart meter. I have a Secure SMETS1 at the moment (and has been updated so I can get half hour readings).  The solar installers say that SMETS1 meters can’t read the outward flow of electricity. Is this correct? Also can I get a free installation of a SMETS2 meter from OVO? I called OVO earlier, waited 20 minutes in a queue, got through, explained the situation and then they hung up on me!! 🤷🏻‍♂️. Any help would be fantastic. Cheers. 

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 16 March 2023, 18:47

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A quick Google search indicates that your meter will record exports. However, I'm hoping @Blastoise186  might chip in as he has a fairly extensive knowledge of electricity meters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

https://help.so.energy/support/solutions/articles/7000065404-how-do-i-take-an-export-reading-from-my-smart-meter-

See if this helps to see if you can read your export from your meter

To get a reading from this smart meter:

• Depending on your meter configuration, press either 6 or 9 on the keypad until you see ‘EXP kWh’ followed by 8 digits
  • You’ll then see 8 digits (e.g. 0000369.4) followed by kWh at the bottom right of the screen. This will be your export reading
  • This is your read, so for this example your reading would be 369kWh
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Also let us know what this check says

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

That will let us know if your meter has been upgraded over the air and what options there might be as a result later this year. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Who dares summon the power of SkyNet Blastoise! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

SMETS1 Secure Meters do indeed support tracking Exports. Getting a reading locally is a pain due to the (terrible) menu interface, but it’s a piece of cake via SMETS Commands.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks everyone. That was quick!!

My SMETS1 meter is in smart mode so looks like it can read exports. I’ll let you know how I get on in a couple of weeks 👍🏻. Wish me luck 🙏🏼 Solar here we come. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

We are always happy to help @Karlos57

Do you mind us asking what setup you are going for in terms of solar and batteries?

Always good to hear what people are installing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus,

I’m getting 11x 405w panels (that’s all I have space for). A Lux 3.6 Hybrid inverter. 2x Greenlinx modular 3.2Kwh batteries. I have a Nissan Leaf as well so I’m actually looking to move to Octopus Go or Flux. (sorry OVO!) Wish OVO would offer something similar (where you don’t need a specific charger/car).

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi everyone,

Just an update on my solar install. All up and running since 3rd May. Already generated 525kWh! Changed to Octopus Go and my electric bill for the month so far is £32 inc standing charge. Still waiting for paperwork to sell back to the grid so this month my bill would have been close to £0.

Thanks for everyones help.